Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic Motivation
Posted By: RC MasterDate: 12/17/10 4:49 a.m.

In Response To: Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic Motivation (Decommissioner)

: But if was only about directing gameplay,
: then the only thing that should be gained from completing challenges is
: increasing the counter for completed challenges.

But that alone doesn't work for some people. Yes, a lot of the dailies are BS, but in principle if someone sees a challenge like 'Beat level Y on X difficulty' that you've never tried before then theres something that was stopping them from already doing that, and theres a part of the game there that they're missing out on, basically.

I think its OK to use in-game incentives (cR, rank, armour) with the goal of getting the player to try new things. Achievements are already used for this purpose. Or better yet: just encourage the player to be awesome (which the system kinda fails at TBH)

: And those things hold meaning to you, even if nobody else thinks it means
: something.

Heh, well, to be honest I don't think I'd actually speedrun if I couldn't post it on HSH, if someone else didn't recognise my feats. Example: In Halo 1 and 2 I only tried a couple of easy difficulty speedruns (i think) because I felt like seeing how long it took to just run through the level.

When I got Halo 3, and Gold, and the theatre and fileshare system came with that, I could suddenly not only prove my times to others, but also post them to HSH and SHOW them to others, outside of the game, on the web. I did quite a few runs on Easy; The Ark, The Storm, Halo, some on normal and heroic, and one or two on Legendary. ONLY because I could show it off now.

In ODST I did some even more insane stuff like High Scores (3 levels now, one of which will be posted soon-ish) some SLASO speedruns, lots more Legendary, and even went completely out of my way to do a Vidmaster Challenge: Classic run Coastal Highway. All because of a board on a website that would show my psuedonym instead of others, with a video to show off with

Similarly with Mythic. I'd done Halo and Floodgate that way already because they were quite easy and I new them inside out and it really didn't require much in the way of changed tactics to overcome. But you know what got me to do the rest of the missions? The Summer Mythic Recon Challenge A fucking peice of armour got me to complete H3 on this ridiculous difficulty. And you know what the sad thing was? I didn't even get Recon for that since I'd done one of the missions on the 'wrong' week because I was on holiday and could not do it during the qualifying week.

Myself and thousands of others started down that 'summer of mythic' road because of the armour offered for it. The number of people that had done the whole game more than doubled by the end of it.

Thats the thing though: all it did was get me started.

When Halo 3: ODST came out, there was never any prize offered for completing Mythic other than getting to have your name on a list in a thread on b.net. But then, for me, after the experience of overcoming it in H3, that was enough. Now I wanted to do it to prove to the other conquerors that I could do this to, to prove to myself, to prove to the 'laymen' of Halo that I was awesome and they were not (ok, joking now ;) )

Same thing with Reach: No credits for it, no armours, no medals, no insignia or recognition from Bungie. Just my name on a board. (4th!)

What I'm trying to say is this: there are many experiences a player can have in a game that can be really awesome, that grow them and test their abilites, that make them learn new things and think in new ways about the game. But looking at them from the perspective of having NOT done it yet, it can seem like so much effort for little to no real payoff. But when a player finally does it, it can seem more than worth it for its own sake in the end, and can become a goal to do within itself, for the player's own satisfaction, long after the game/developer incentives have died up. And all a lot of players need to get them started down that path is an ultimately meaningless incentive: an achievement, a piece of armour, a big dump of cR, a rank or icon symbolising the accomplishment and the personal advancement that came from it. With that, more players would start down the path, and many more would finish. Some just for the payoff, yes, but others still because by the end of it they just wanted to do it and the original payoff doesn't really matter to them any more.

I, personally, remember spending much longer than was really justified by the cR reward to no-death ONI: Sword Base the first time the related challenge came up. After about an hour or something of attempts, it wasn't about doing it for the credits, it was just about getting it done

Does Reach's PIS achieve this? For the most part no. But in principle a PIS could do, so thats why I'm not objected to them.

: I do not have a feeling that I need to do
: it to get rid of the level system like I do in Reach because EXP doesn't
: get me anything, unlike cR.

Thats weird. Why not? In BFBC2, you get the numerical 'rank' and I think theres a symbol attached with that too. After you get the armour you want in Reach, all you get is the symbol next to your name, so I fail to see how its so different.

Is it somehow in the way its presented? That you have to 'spend' the credits on what you want, rather than just getting the pieces automatically with ranking up (like in Bad Company)?

: B) Again, only applies if *you* care about it.

But I wouldn't care about it if there wasn't a page in my stats that had a hole in it :P

Its subtler, but its still part of the same scheme of incentives as far as I'm concerned.

: my only goal is to be "done" (which requires
: reaching Inheritor). I view that as removing the PIS from my game.

: I don't care about the credits now that I have the armor I want,

: This
: 'removal' of the external rewards has decreased my overall intrinsic
: motivation to play Reach and I almost find myself subconsciously trying to
: make the rewards relevant to me again so that I will want to play Reach
: more (like I said, I like the actual gameplay).

This is.... weird to say the least. You want to play it for its own sake, and feel that you would still play it lots even if there wasn't this system, but now that the system means little to you, you don't want to play still?

I'm baffled.

I guess this is why I want
: to reach Inheritor, because I know it will keep me playing for a long
: while.

: I said I like BFBC@'s system better, but I still don't think it's great. I
: would have LOVED for everything to be unlocked as soon as I got the game
: and for pins/insignias to just be there for bragging right (no EXP
: attached). But the main thing about BFBC2 is that it's pretty darn easy to
: hit the last rank required for all unlocks.

One of the things I think, seeing as there is no other place to test all the multiplayer stuff out in, was to slowly reveal all the stuff to the player so they wouldn't feel overwhelmed at the start and just pick one thing and stick with it forever. They would feel tempted to try out their new stuff, simply by virtue of that fact that it was disallowed to them before, even if it it ultimately sucks for their playstyle.

: I like it, but I certainly see why people don't. But In that game you only
: need like 100 plants and 30 dart assists for the insignias.

Oh I was joking really. I mean it sucks for directly killing people with it. :)

I do quite enjoy planting a dart on the side of a chopper and then whipping out my RPG and thinking 'you're fucked now!!!'

Wish the tracking would work when it was attached to players and UAVs.

: Works fine if your teammates don't use rockets/snipers, but that rarely
: happens. If they had kept it so that you could pick weapons in sniper
: attack, I wouldn't be so ticked off. They claim it "ruins the
: integrity of the game" but really it just makes it less fun.

Well I think the playlists could benefit from a few more gametypes that would allow certain commendations the oppurtunity to be gotten, e.g. a Needler Attack.

Message Index

Replies:

On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 2:12 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 2:28 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's Timeelessar787 12/13/10 2:36 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 2:38 p.m.
           Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 2:47 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidCody Miller 12/13/10 2:53 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidbluerunner 12/13/10 3:04 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:05 p.m.
                             Re: Exactly what you saidCody Miller 12/13/10 3:27 p.m.
                                   Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:31 p.m.
                                   Here I still disagree. But not as much as before.munky-058 12/13/10 5:24 p.m.
                                         Re: Here I still disagree. But not as much as befoCody Miller 12/13/10 5:32 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 3:00 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:02 p.m.
                             The worst part of the system?Wayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:14 p.m.
                             Re: Exactly what you saidRC Master 12/13/10 3:56 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:09 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 2:50 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 2:48 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 2:49 p.m.
                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 2:57 p.m.
                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:00 p.m.
                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:07 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:09 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:13 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:24 p.m.
                                                           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:30 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 3:21 p.m.
                                                     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:27 p.m.
                                                           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimecheapLEY 12/13/10 5:00 p.m.
                                                                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeLouis Wu 12/13/10 5:02 p.m.
                                                                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 5:10 p.m.
                                                                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeThorsHammer 12/13/10 7:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/14/10 3:28 p.m.
                                                                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/14/10 3:40 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:14 p.m.
                                   I've got something the covenant can smoke...bluerunner 12/13/10 3:20 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 3:28 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 4:00 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 4:38 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKermit 12/13/10 8:03 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRC Master 12/13/10 8:36 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKermit 12/13/10 8:45 p.m.
                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:26 p.m.
     Here's an odd notionGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:20 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionZackDark 12/13/10 3:25 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionManKitten 12/13/10 4:37 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionRC Master 12/13/10 4:43 p.m.
           Here's an odder notionThorsHammer 12/13/10 7:20 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 7:21 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionRC Master 12/13/10 8:17 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionCody Miller 12/14/10 2:01 p.m.
     Your opinion.munky-058 12/13/10 3:47 p.m.
           Re: Your opinion.Kermit 12/13/10 3:58 p.m.
           I agree with you and CodyManKitten 12/13/10 4:08 p.m.
                 Re: I agree with you and CodyBeckx 12/13/10 4:33 p.m.
                       Re: I agree with you and CodyManKitten 12/13/10 4:45 p.m.
                 I've always been supportive of honorable gameplay.munky-058 12/13/10 5:09 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeChrisTheeCrappy 12/13/10 4:27 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKalamariKidd 12/13/10 5:19 p.m.
           Excuse me!?RC Master 12/13/10 7:58 p.m.
                 Re: Excuse me!?Beckx 12/13/10 8:33 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWurny 12/13/10 5:43 p.m.
     You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...RC Master 12/13/10 7:52 p.m.
           oh yeah... ^ *long* *NM*RC Master 12/13/10 8:18 p.m.
           Love this post!Kermit 12/13/10 8:21 p.m.
                 Re: Love this post!General Battuta 12/13/10 8:55 p.m.
                       Re: Love this post!Kermit 12/13/10 9:29 p.m.
                 Re: Love this post!Bernard Strauss 12/14/10 10:50 a.m.
                       Re: Love this post!Kermit 12/14/10 1:02 p.m.
           Re: You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...Cody Miller 12/13/10 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...RC Master 12/13/10 10:31 p.m.
     Fantastic..c0ld vengeance 12/13/10 9:19 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRagashingo 12/13/10 9:19 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 9:22 p.m.
                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRagashingo 12/13/10 9:34 p.m.
                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 10:00 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeAzo 'Galvat 12/13/10 9:44 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's Timekidtsunami 12/13/10 11:06 p.m.
     External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/13/10 11:02 p.m.
           I pretty much agree.uberfoop 12/13/10 11:18 p.m.
           Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/14/10 7:21 a.m.
                 Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/14/10 10:58 a.m.
                       Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/14/10 12:49 p.m.
                             Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/14/10 3:47 p.m.
                                   Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/17/10 4:49 a.m.
                                         Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/17/10 2:36 p.m.
     Two Words: Skinner Box *NM*The Loot 12/14/10 12:10 a.m.
     Campaigns are the classic reward systemRC Master 12/14/10 7:08 a.m.
     Very nicely written, Cody.yakaman 12/14/10 1:16 p.m.
     How Oddly Relevant...Bones153 12/14/10 3:13 p.m.
           Re: How Oddly Relevant...SonofMacPhisto 12/14/10 3:44 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeNotTheVacuum 12/15/10 10:41 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.