Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic Motivation
Posted By: RC MasterDate: 12/14/10 12:49 p.m.

In Response To: Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic Motivation (Decommissioner)

: Ok, then you do have some intrinsic motivation to continue playing. So I'm
: not quite sure why you considered Cody lucky.

Because he's in a better position to derive his own fun out of games than a lot of people are. I can also be IN the group of people I consider lucky (to an extent, shiney armour IS shiney after all :) ) and still consider them lucky.

: Also, challenges aren't always as serious 'offenders' as other parts of the
: PIS. If you do a challenge because you think that you can complete it
: because of some personal skill/quality, than you are intrinsically
: motivated to complete that challenge. If you complete the challenge simply
: for the credits (e.g. all of the grinding challenges that don't actually
: require any skill), then you are completing it for the external rewards.

But, you might never have done the equivalent of the challenge requirements if it wasn't a challenge on that day. Its provide a goal and directing you, providing feedback etc. For some players, yes, that alone is enough to get them to play. For others, some larger goal of it counting towards some new armour, or rank, or their challenge count or completionist urges (see: c0ld Vengence) is whats directing them.

: Yes, I was playing a lot on the days I managed to hit the cR cap, but until I
: see that little box that pops up to say I've hit the cap, I don't at all
: consider that am bored or that I should stop playing.

Because somewhere, you have a goal of progressing towards the next rank/peice of armour you want. You must do. Otherwise why do you care about the cap at all? Then when that goal is suddenly taken away for the rest of the day (and it may have been a bad design decision) you're left feeling directionless. Devoid of something that you're going for.

BTW, I saw talk on b.net that the cap has been raised to 120k? *shrugs*

: That's my whole point. The system is ruining it for me, even when I'm
: consciously aware of that fact.

Oh dear :/

Well I'm not sure what to say. You should definitely try to ignore the credits and stuff a bit more in that case. For me, I see the ranks and armours as simply coming in due course of play, I make a note to get the bits I want when I have enough creds, but I won't completely sacrifice speedrunning or watching saved films or tooling around in a custom game in order to maximise my credit earn by playing only MM.

(and my cR/min rate shows this, OOOH does it show it....)

: External rewards decrease intrinsic
: motivation.

I don't think this is necessarily true. And I'm having trouble distinguishing in my mind between 'external rewards' and 'intrinsic motivation' which really kinda sound like 'self-imposed rewards'.

I'm having difficulty thinking up of an example situation in which a player plays a game without either the game providing a goal, he himself having one for it, or a friend giving him one for his play.

I do speedruns, right? I breifly held the record for Nightfall SLASO/Mythic and TotS Legendary already in Reach. I did those regardless of the cR I was going to earn (though it still made me sad that I earned so few :( ). I did those for entirely externally imposed reason. Partly by my self wanting to see how fast I could do it, partly for the allure of having a video of my gameplay up on the internet and being able show off my leet skillz (I kid, mostly...).

On the other hand, the Daily Challenges are given to me by the game itself. Gives me a goal which goes for a reward that exists only within the game.

: In Reach, I still have tons of commendations to level up, and NONE of them
: are skill based.

Well, Flawless Cowboy would be...

I too think Reach's PIS is flawed. I'm arguing against the idea that they are inherently bad things to have.

: Pins in BFBC2 are
: earned for doing things in ONE game

Like medals.

: There is no external goal.
Well, by virtue of them
A: giving you EXP each time you earn them
B: having a blank spot there when you have none.

The game encourages you, through the weapon unlock and military rank system, to get at least one to fill out your 'medal chest' so to speak, and to get more of them to advance towards the next rank and more guns 'n' gadgets faster.

I think there were ones like 'perform 7 revivies' and '7 resupplies' and stuff. And since they offered a nice bonus of EXP, you're right, they did encourage me to drop ammo crates all over the place or go entire games sprinting around as a medic with my defib out!

It wasn't perfect either though: in said games, my ammo boxes certainly resupplied the enemy team at some points, and indescriminately reviving dudes laying on the battlefield often got them killed quite soon after (and the enemy team would be quite happy to oblige since they'd get the full quota of EXP for a just-revived-out-in-the-open player and one that one set up in nice cover).

Its not quite the same though, since the Commendations are really just there to provide the mid-game action-related cR earn. Like a kill would in CoD or Battlefield. And where they have stock bonuses for headshots, the bonus for headshot kills in Reach comes from the commendation related to it.

It IS a nice way to tally how much you've earned a certain type of action-credit reward. And I think the intent was something about 'showing what type of player you are' with them but, the Bonuses for each level of commendation warp that quite a bit I feel.

I.e. Once you've Onyx'd your headshots, you won't get any more Bonuses for increments of headshots, so you might as well get kills with.... automatic weapons instead. Thinking about it, the fact that you stop earning cR per action at silver in Campaign Commendations REALLY fucks up the 'how you play' value of the commendations.

Yeah...

: In BFBC2, when I was first starting out, I thought to myself "I can get
: all of these within a month and it should help me to learn all of the
: different classes in the game".

Battlefield is more strongly class based than Reach so that sort of thing naturally require you to try different aspects to get all of them. But maybe Bungie should have offered some incentive to try out the different AAs. Kinda like how CoD has those challenges related to each Perk...

: Another thing is that in BFBC2, there are plenty of weapons to choose from
: and only a very few of them suck.

Tracer dart sucks :P

In Reach, there are commendations in all
: three categories (campaign, multiplayer, firefight) for kills with
: automatic weapons. All of the auto weapons in Halo suck in comparison
: other weapons like heavy and precision.

Infinite NEEDLER!!!!

But yeah, seems silly amounts of kills required with them in Campaign especially. Who wants to get 3000 AR kills?

: the other (plasma pistol) is better but doesn't show up as much
: and is still inferior to a lot of weapons.

...At killing.

One of the issues is that pretty much all the rewards are kill related, when sometimes that really doesn't even matter. PP is great at anti-shields and for stunning vehicles and I literally use it all the time in campaign but rarely get kills with it when I'm playing on anything above normal. (the kills I do have with it are a combination of trying to earn SOMETHING for my playtime in campaign, and using it at the start of Exodus on Mythic when this is limited pistol ammo around).

Message Index

Replies:

On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 2:12 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 2:28 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's Timeelessar787 12/13/10 2:36 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 2:38 p.m.
           Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 2:47 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidCody Miller 12/13/10 2:53 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidbluerunner 12/13/10 3:04 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:05 p.m.
                             Re: Exactly what you saidCody Miller 12/13/10 3:27 p.m.
                                   Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:31 p.m.
                                   Here I still disagree. But not as much as before.munky-058 12/13/10 5:24 p.m.
                                         Re: Here I still disagree. But not as much as befoCody Miller 12/13/10 5:32 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 3:00 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:02 p.m.
                             The worst part of the system?Wayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:14 p.m.
                             Re: Exactly what you saidRC Master 12/13/10 3:56 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:09 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 2:50 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 2:48 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 2:49 p.m.
                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 2:57 p.m.
                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:00 p.m.
                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:07 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:09 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:13 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:24 p.m.
                                                           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:30 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 3:21 p.m.
                                                     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:27 p.m.
                                                           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimecheapLEY 12/13/10 5:00 p.m.
                                                                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeLouis Wu 12/13/10 5:02 p.m.
                                                                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 5:10 p.m.
                                                                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeThorsHammer 12/13/10 7:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/14/10 3:28 p.m.
                                                                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/14/10 3:40 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:14 p.m.
                                   I've got something the covenant can smoke...bluerunner 12/13/10 3:20 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 3:28 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 4:00 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 4:38 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKermit 12/13/10 8:03 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRC Master 12/13/10 8:36 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKermit 12/13/10 8:45 p.m.
                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:26 p.m.
     Here's an odd notionGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:20 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionZackDark 12/13/10 3:25 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionManKitten 12/13/10 4:37 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionRC Master 12/13/10 4:43 p.m.
           Here's an odder notionThorsHammer 12/13/10 7:20 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 7:21 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionRC Master 12/13/10 8:17 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionCody Miller 12/14/10 2:01 p.m.
     Your opinion.munky-058 12/13/10 3:47 p.m.
           Re: Your opinion.Kermit 12/13/10 3:58 p.m.
           I agree with you and CodyManKitten 12/13/10 4:08 p.m.
                 Re: I agree with you and CodyBeckx 12/13/10 4:33 p.m.
                       Re: I agree with you and CodyManKitten 12/13/10 4:45 p.m.
                 I've always been supportive of honorable gameplay.munky-058 12/13/10 5:09 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeChrisTheeCrappy 12/13/10 4:27 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKalamariKidd 12/13/10 5:19 p.m.
           Excuse me!?RC Master 12/13/10 7:58 p.m.
                 Re: Excuse me!?Beckx 12/13/10 8:33 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWurny 12/13/10 5:43 p.m.
     You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...RC Master 12/13/10 7:52 p.m.
           oh yeah... ^ *long* *NM*RC Master 12/13/10 8:18 p.m.
           Love this post!Kermit 12/13/10 8:21 p.m.
                 Re: Love this post!General Battuta 12/13/10 8:55 p.m.
                       Re: Love this post!Kermit 12/13/10 9:29 p.m.
                 Re: Love this post!Bernard Strauss 12/14/10 10:50 a.m.
                       Re: Love this post!Kermit 12/14/10 1:02 p.m.
           Re: You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...Cody Miller 12/13/10 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...RC Master 12/13/10 10:31 p.m.
     Fantastic..c0ld vengeance 12/13/10 9:19 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRagashingo 12/13/10 9:19 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 9:22 p.m.
                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRagashingo 12/13/10 9:34 p.m.
                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 10:00 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeAzo 'Galvat 12/13/10 9:44 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's Timekidtsunami 12/13/10 11:06 p.m.
     External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/13/10 11:02 p.m.
           I pretty much agree.uberfoop 12/13/10 11:18 p.m.
           Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/14/10 7:21 a.m.
                 Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/14/10 10:58 a.m.
                       Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/14/10 12:49 p.m.
                             Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/14/10 3:47 p.m.
                                   Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/17/10 4:49 a.m.
                                         Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/17/10 2:36 p.m.
     Two Words: Skinner Box *NM*The Loot 12/14/10 12:10 a.m.
     Campaigns are the classic reward systemRC Master 12/14/10 7:08 a.m.
     Very nicely written, Cody.yakaman 12/14/10 1:16 p.m.
     How Oddly Relevant...Bones153 12/14/10 3:13 p.m.
           Re: How Oddly Relevant...SonofMacPhisto 12/14/10 3:44 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeNotTheVacuum 12/15/10 10:41 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.