Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic Motivation
Posted By: DecommissionerDate: 12/14/10 3:47 p.m.

In Response To: Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic Motivation (RC Master)

: Because he's in a better position to derive his own fun out of games than a
: lot of people are. I can also be IN the group of people I consider lucky
: (to an extent, shiney armour IS shiney after all :) ) and still consider
: them lucky.

Ok, I misinterpreted your post.

: But, you might never have done the equivalent of the challenge requirements
: if it wasn't a challenge on that day. Its provide a goal and directing
: you, providing feedback etc. For some players, yes, that alone is enough
: to get them to play. For others, some larger goal of it counting towards
: some new armour, or rank, or their challenge count or completionist urges
: (see: c0ld Vengence) is whats directing them.

Some of the challenges are fun. But if was only about directing gameplay, then the only thing that should be gained from completing challenges is increasing the counter for completed challenges. That counter has no effect on anything and no external reward. If you personally set it as a goal, it will have meaning to you, because of intrinsic motivation. But a lot of challenges are not fun and are not actually challenging. People are still rewarded with cR, so the do them. This is what adds to the feeling that challenges are ruining the fun of Reach.

: Because somewhere, you have a goal of progressing towards the next rank/peice
: of armour you want. You must do. Otherwise why do you care about the cap
: at all? Then when that goal is suddenly taken away for the rest of the day
: (and it may have been a bad design decision) you're left feeling
: directionless. Devoid of something that you're going for.

Well, aside from the last attachment for my helmet (which requires Mythic rank), I have all of the armor I want. After thinking about it, as far as I can tell, my only goal is to be "done" (which requires reaching Inheritor). I view that as removing the PIS from my game.

: BTW, I saw talk on b.net that the cap has been raised to 120k? *shrugs*

Quite possible; Wu linked to a post on NeoGAF by urk that said the cap was changing soon. I have been playing Reach a lot less recently and haven't come near the daily cR cap for a while now.

: Well I'm not sure what to say. You should definitely try to ignore the
: credits and stuff a bit more in that case.

I don't care about the credits now that I have the armor I want, but when I hit the cap, it means that the playing that I am doing, which I would be doing even if there wasn't a credit system, is no longer counting towards my desire to 'remove' the PIS. Pretty much, I don't even care that I don't earn any credits on the days I don't play nor that I only earn a few thousand credits on some of hte days I do play, but I soundly care when I'm not allowed to earn any more credits. It's pretty much like the game saying to me "I know you hate my system, so I'm going to make it worse by limit your ability to progress through the system. so ha!"

: I don't think this is necessarily true. And I'm having trouble distinguishing
: in my mind between 'external rewards' and 'intrinsic motivation' which
: really kinda sound like 'self-imposed rewards'.

Well, some things that are external rewards for some people are intrinsic motivation for other people. It is hard to distinguish. But there are some things that are universally considered external by psychologists. The quintessential example of this is money. Intrinsically, you don't actually ever want money—money is just paper. But since there are things you want that you can buy with money, you of course realize that you need to earn some money. Thus, money becomes an external reward for doing things you would not otherwise be inclined to do and that have nothing to do with what you want to spend you money on.

In Reach, the entire system is based around credits. Credits alone mean absolutely nothing to the players. But since credits are used to get armor and rank, people start to value the credits and they become an external reward. The primary external reward, in this case. So now players are thinking about how many credits they are or aren't earning.

: I'm having difficulty thinking up of an example situation in which a player
: plays a game without either the game providing a goal, he himself having
: one for it, or a friend giving him one for his play.

It's not about having goals, it's about external rewards being introduced. You mentioned somewhere else in this thread that player progress through a level to see what's next or to get the ending. While those are goals, they have no external meaning. You do that because you want to reach that goal. If a system was introduced where you had to purchase the next part of the story, by earning credits from previous parts (and you couldn't just earn the required credits by playing once or even twice through), that would significantly decrease the players motivation to complete the game.

I only just thought of the above example as I was typing. But thinking about it, I believe that nobody would really find such a system fun and it actually serves as a pretty good example of what I feel has been done to my multiplayer/firefight experience.

: I do speedruns, right? I breifly held the record for Nightfall SLASO/Mythic
: and TotS Legendary already in Reach. I did those regardless of the cR I
: was going to earn (though it still made me sad that I earned so few :( ).
: I did those for entirely externally imposed reason. Partly by my self
: wanting to see how fast I could do it, partly for the allure of having a
: video of my gameplay up on the internet and being able show off my leet
: skillz (I kid, mostly...).

And those things hold meaning to you, even if nobody else thinks it means something. Unlike credits, which don't mean anything to anybody by themselves.

: Well, Flawless Cowboy would be...

Aside from the ability to boost it, I think that it's the ONLY good commendation in the game. However, the number required for it are ridiculously stupid. That's another problem with Reach's PIS (though not particularly relevant to this thread): the numbers for the commendations seem to have pulled out of Bungie's butt.

: I too think Reach's PIS is flawed. I'm arguing against the idea that they are
: inherently bad things to have.

If the system somehow was linked to the amount of fun or self satisfaction I gained from playing a game due to my intrinsic motivation, sure, that would be a good system. But when external rewards are introduced, then I say that it is an bad thing to have as part of the game.

: Like medals.

Yes. And I have no inherent problem with medals in any Halo game. Though, in Reach, some of the medals are completely retarded, but that doesn't detract from my game experience.

: Well, by virtue of them
: A: giving you EXP each time you earn them
: B: having a blank spot there when you have none.

A) After reaching level 22 (or something like that), which is very easy to earn, the player will have unlocked everything (weapons, gadgets) that there is to unlock in the game. While I may very well reach the max rank in that game (still have 10 go), I do not have a feeling that I need to do it to get rid of the level system like I do in Reach because EXP doesn't get me anything, unlike cR.

B) Again, only applies if *you* care about it. In Reach, I cared about armor (let's face it, some of it is pretty cool looking). But now that I have the armor I want, the external rewards don't mean much to me. This 'removal' of the external rewards has decreased my overall intrinsic motivation to play Reach and I almost find myself subconsciously trying to make the rewards relevant to me again so that I will want to play Reach more (like I said, I like the actual gameplay). I guess this is why I want to reach Inheritor, because I know it will keep me playing for a long while. If the system never existed in the first place, I would play simply to play, like I did in Halo 3.

: The game encourages you, through the weapon unlock and military rank system,
: to get at least one to fill out your 'medal chest' so to speak, and to get
: more of them to advance towards the next rank and more guns 'n' gadgets
: faster.

I said I like BFBC@'s system better, but I still don't think it's great. I would have LOVED for everything to be unlocked as soon as I got the game and for pins/insignias to just be there for bragging right (no EXP attached). But the main thing about BFBC2 is that it's pretty darn easy to hit the last rank required for all unlocks.

: It IS a nice way to tally how much you've earned a certain type of
: action-credit reward. And I think the intent was something about 'showing
: what type of player you are' with them but, the Bonuses for each level of
: commendation warp that quite a bit I feel.

I feel that not just the bonuses ward the idea. Having an "out of X" warps it to. If it was just a pure number of headshots (or whatever commendation we're talking about), then that would be cool. It wouldn't be linked to some arbitrary, external reward.

: I.e. Once you've Onyx'd your headshots, you won't get any more Bonuses for
: increments of headshots, so you might as well get kills with.... automatic
: weapons instead. Thinking about it, the fact that you stop earning cR per
: action at silver in Campaign Commendations REALLY fucks up the 'how you
: play' value of the commendations.

Yeah, even if I loved the reach commendation system in every other way, that stuff is complete B.S.

: Battlefield is more strongly class based than Reach so that sort of thing
: naturally require you to try different aspects to get all of them. But
: maybe Bungie should have offered some incentive to try out the different
: AAs. Kinda like how CoD has those challenges related to each Perk...

: Tracer dart sucks :P

I like it, but I certainly see why people don't. But In that game you only need like 100 plants and 30 dart assists for the insignias. In Reach, I need 10,000 frickin kills with auto weapons. WTF. This is the main reason I think the BFBC2 system is better: smaller totals required.

: Infinite NEEDLER!!!!

Works fine if your teammates don't use rockets/snipers, but that rarely happens. If they had kept it so that you could pick weapons in sniper attack, I wouldn't be so ticked off. They claim it "ruins the integrity of the game" but really it just makes it less fun.

: ...At killing.

Well, the kill is the only part that counts towards the commendation, which means that the best use of that weapon isn't even part of the PIS. Good work, Bungie. (Well, it might be part of Jack of All Trades, idk, but even if it is, it isn't required for the commendation to be leveled up.)

But most of the second half of this post is moot, as we both agree that the there are improvements that could be made to the Reach PIS.

Message Index

Replies:

On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 2:12 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 2:28 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's Timeelessar787 12/13/10 2:36 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 2:38 p.m.
           Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 2:47 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidCody Miller 12/13/10 2:53 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidbluerunner 12/13/10 3:04 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:05 p.m.
                             Re: Exactly what you saidCody Miller 12/13/10 3:27 p.m.
                                   Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:31 p.m.
                                   Here I still disagree. But not as much as before.munky-058 12/13/10 5:24 p.m.
                                         Re: Here I still disagree. But not as much as befoCody Miller 12/13/10 5:32 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 3:00 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:02 p.m.
                             The worst part of the system?Wayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:14 p.m.
                             Re: Exactly what you saidRC Master 12/13/10 3:56 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:09 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 2:50 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 2:48 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 2:49 p.m.
                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 2:57 p.m.
                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:00 p.m.
                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:07 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:09 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:13 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:24 p.m.
                                                           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:30 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 3:21 p.m.
                                                     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:27 p.m.
                                                           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimecheapLEY 12/13/10 5:00 p.m.
                                                                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeLouis Wu 12/13/10 5:02 p.m.
                                                                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 5:10 p.m.
                                                                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeThorsHammer 12/13/10 7:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/14/10 3:28 p.m.
                                                                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/14/10 3:40 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:14 p.m.
                                   I've got something the covenant can smoke...bluerunner 12/13/10 3:20 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 3:28 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 4:00 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 4:38 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKermit 12/13/10 8:03 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRC Master 12/13/10 8:36 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKermit 12/13/10 8:45 p.m.
                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:26 p.m.
     Here's an odd notionGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:20 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionZackDark 12/13/10 3:25 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionManKitten 12/13/10 4:37 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionRC Master 12/13/10 4:43 p.m.
           Here's an odder notionThorsHammer 12/13/10 7:20 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 7:21 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionRC Master 12/13/10 8:17 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionCody Miller 12/14/10 2:01 p.m.
     Your opinion.munky-058 12/13/10 3:47 p.m.
           Re: Your opinion.Kermit 12/13/10 3:58 p.m.
           I agree with you and CodyManKitten 12/13/10 4:08 p.m.
                 Re: I agree with you and CodyBeckx 12/13/10 4:33 p.m.
                       Re: I agree with you and CodyManKitten 12/13/10 4:45 p.m.
                 I've always been supportive of honorable gameplay.munky-058 12/13/10 5:09 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeChrisTheeCrappy 12/13/10 4:27 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKalamariKidd 12/13/10 5:19 p.m.
           Excuse me!?RC Master 12/13/10 7:58 p.m.
                 Re: Excuse me!?Beckx 12/13/10 8:33 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWurny 12/13/10 5:43 p.m.
     You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...RC Master 12/13/10 7:52 p.m.
           oh yeah... ^ *long* *NM*RC Master 12/13/10 8:18 p.m.
           Love this post!Kermit 12/13/10 8:21 p.m.
                 Re: Love this post!General Battuta 12/13/10 8:55 p.m.
                       Re: Love this post!Kermit 12/13/10 9:29 p.m.
                 Re: Love this post!Bernard Strauss 12/14/10 10:50 a.m.
                       Re: Love this post!Kermit 12/14/10 1:02 p.m.
           Re: You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...Cody Miller 12/13/10 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...RC Master 12/13/10 10:31 p.m.
     Fantastic..c0ld vengeance 12/13/10 9:19 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRagashingo 12/13/10 9:19 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 9:22 p.m.
                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRagashingo 12/13/10 9:34 p.m.
                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 10:00 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeAzo 'Galvat 12/13/10 9:44 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's Timekidtsunami 12/13/10 11:06 p.m.
     External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/13/10 11:02 p.m.
           I pretty much agree.uberfoop 12/13/10 11:18 p.m.
           Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/14/10 7:21 a.m.
                 Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/14/10 10:58 a.m.
                       Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/14/10 12:49 p.m.
                             Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/14/10 3:47 p.m.
                                   Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/17/10 4:49 a.m.
                                         Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/17/10 2:36 p.m.
     Two Words: Skinner Box *NM*The Loot 12/14/10 12:10 a.m.
     Campaigns are the classic reward systemRC Master 12/14/10 7:08 a.m.
     Very nicely written, Cody.yakaman 12/14/10 1:16 p.m.
     How Oddly Relevant...Bones153 12/14/10 3:13 p.m.
           Re: How Oddly Relevant...SonofMacPhisto 12/14/10 3:44 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeNotTheVacuum 12/15/10 10:41 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.