glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...
Posted By: RC MasterDate: 12/13/10 10:31 p.m.

In Response To: Re: You know, you're kinda lucky Cody... (Cody Miller)

: If somebody is unable to enjoy a leisure activity without someone else
: telling them how to derive enjoyment from it, then I am personally quite
: sad for such a person.

I just stumbled across a post on b.net that is self-admittedly the type of person you feel sorry for:

Even though the new credit system is more player friendly, so many players stopped playing (including myself) just because there was nothing pushing them to play. I am still playing halo 3, currently getting another 50. Other than to have fun, something is pushing me to play.

On B.net

Emphasis mine.

heh. :)

They can't get enjoyment out of games the same way you do, and maybe that does suck, and maybe you should feel sorry for them. Still, there are things the game designer(s) can do to help them derive more enjoyment from the game. To provide the "push to play" that they need to just start playing and then let the game's mechanics take over the moment-to-moment fun.

: The whole point of playing games and engaging in
: leisure activities is precisely to do things that interest you.

Ideally your 'work' would do that to, of course.

Thing is, if they don't have some sort of goal, how can they be interested in it? You read a novel because you want to know how the plotline goes or evaluate the author's writing. You play a game's campaign to find out how the story goes or see what the gameplay is like. You play multiplayer to explore the maps and to find out what its like. etc.

: In such a case, what is wrong with simply not playing? Go do something else
: that is still stimulating.

Theres nothing inherently wrong with not playing games. The problem comes when a player doesn't play simply because they're not aware of the additional oppurtunities for fun, stimulating activity that can be found within the game.

A player gets bored of campaign because they're not aware of speedrunning or tricking. A player stops playing multiplayer because they're not aware of the goal of trying to work out strategies or working on their aim or play better, or trying to die less, or stepping out of their established niche and trying other playlists or styles or trying to understand the way the spawning works. A player gets bored of your game because they don't realise there is the oppurtunity to build whole maps or they haven't invested the time to get good at forging* and so it seems like so much effort and they don't yet see the intrinstric reward there or aren't sure its worth the time investment.

If the above situations happen, thats bad, because that player is missing out fun, interesting experiences they could be having simply because they aren't aware of them, or don't see that the activity might become its own reward/fun with practice/developed skill. Not because they don't want fun

: The problem though is that these are inherently manipulative, so that players
: will prefer them and continue to play, where otherwise they would have
: moved on to a different game or activity.

I'm don't think I get the point here. Are you trying to get at that some reward/investment systems can be addictive? And players continue to invest in them well past the point when the have lost all sense of fun from the core actions involved in the game?

I can see that. But I'd say thats probably indicative that the reward system is flawed, or the game didn't really provide much oppurtunity for fun in and of itself to begin with.

: Correct, but such systems are needed only when the game no longer is fun,
: otherwise players would simply still be playing.

I disagree. I'm trying to get across the idea that there is potentially untapped fun to be had in a game and an investment system can help expose that to players who otherwise might not have found it. And, at the same time, when the fun level drops (e.g. because you're tired and are playing sucky or are taking on a challenge thats simply too great for you) a reward system can lessen the frustration there as well.

: It is always trying to get you to play for the wrong reasons. The system says
: non motivated players will get bored with our game after one playthrough,
: so we must entice them to keep playing. Thus, the system is designed to
: keep players playing past when they would have otherwise moved on to a new
: activity that is new and fun.

Ok, maybe you're right on the first statement. But I disagree with the last bit. The system can encourage players to play in a new and fun way inside the same game or can expose them to new and potentially fun elements of the game that they may not have realised were even available.

Just like achievements can do. They don't all have to be pure success based.

: There are plenty of games that still respect the time of the player and are
: not manipulative, yet aren't in your face action games. Adventure games,
: Simulation Games, Strategy games, etc.

I didn't say it had to be a in your face action game. I said 'non-cerebal/performance related'. And by that I mean activities that don't really require you to think that much or require a good deal of execution skill.

Adventure and strategy games both require the former and simulation games will require mostly the latter.

Sometimes people want/need a break from the intense stuff and do something relatively menial.

That was mostly in defence of stuff like WoW or *shudder* Farmville or crappy television I guess. Not how investment systems in a game like Reach should be handled.

: There is no line! Every incentive the developer offers the player necessarily
: enslaves them since their fun is then based on the reward given to them
: by someone else ! The only way one is not enslaved, is if one can
: themselves derive fun themselves .

If the only fun a player is getting is in the receiving of the reward, then yeah thats wrong. But the reward, or not even ncessarily 'reward', just some 'goal' to structure the activity, is used as a kick-starter of sorts to get to the intrinsic fun of trying something new in the game or getting better at the game or simply succeeding within the game against some challenge.

E.g. Maybe all you play is the Team Slayer playlist, but then you might start playing... Multi-team for example, becuase the daily challenges offered you 5000cR to stick 5 players in the same match and you found out that people online reckon that Elite Slayer in the Multi-team playlist is the quickest way to do it. BUT, you then might CONTINUE to play Multi-team and vote for Elite Slayer because you found it fun/hilarious/exhilirating for its own sake when you were going for the challenge.

: Any player reward system can be exploited in some way.

A bold statement to make about every conceivable and inconceivable reward system!

: If your system offers
: rewards for anything other than winning, it can be manipulated.

Well for starters you can have different measures of 'win' and you can vary the rewards with different amounts of 'win.'

Even so, if a player is enticed by the reward system, that doesn't mean you can't reward for actions other than directly 'winning' (i.e. time investment), since a player will try to maximise their reward and hence maximise their level of 'win.'

---
Oh god why is it 4am? -.-

*heh, I just thought of a mini-game you could have to get people to use forge and teach them various elements of building things with it: make a puzzle game out of it!
You have various course where you use a set amount of budget or set number/type of pieces to get either some moveable object (e.g. a golf-ball) or to enable a player character to get to some destination point. There was some 2D flash game that was very much like this, but I forget the name. Added complexity in 3D and with the element of having to move your player character through it afterwards. :)

Message Index

Replies:

On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 2:12 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 2:28 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's Timeelessar787 12/13/10 2:36 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 2:38 p.m.
           Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 2:47 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidCody Miller 12/13/10 2:53 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidbluerunner 12/13/10 3:04 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:05 p.m.
                             Re: Exactly what you saidCody Miller 12/13/10 3:27 p.m.
                                   Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:31 p.m.
                                   Here I still disagree. But not as much as before.munky-058 12/13/10 5:24 p.m.
                                         Re: Here I still disagree. But not as much as befoCody Miller 12/13/10 5:32 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 3:00 p.m.
                       Re: Exactly what you saidGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:02 p.m.
                             The worst part of the system?Wayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:14 p.m.
                             Re: Exactly what you saidRC Master 12/13/10 3:56 p.m.
                 Re: Exactly what you saidWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:09 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 2:50 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 2:48 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 2:49 p.m.
                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 2:57 p.m.
                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:00 p.m.
                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:07 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:09 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:13 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:24 p.m.
                                                           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:30 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 3:21 p.m.
                                                     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:27 p.m.
                                                           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimecheapLEY 12/13/10 5:00 p.m.
                                                                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeLouis Wu 12/13/10 5:02 p.m.
                                                                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/13/10 5:10 p.m.
                                                                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeThorsHammer 12/13/10 7:01 p.m.
                                                                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/14/10 3:28 p.m.
                                                                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeCody Miller 12/14/10 3:40 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeZackDark 12/13/10 3:14 p.m.
                                   I've got something the covenant can smoke...bluerunner 12/13/10 3:20 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 3:28 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 4:00 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeSonofMacPhisto 12/13/10 4:38 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKermit 12/13/10 8:03 p.m.
                                         Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRC Master 12/13/10 8:36 p.m.
                                               Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKermit 12/13/10 8:45 p.m.
                             Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWayward Spleen™ 12/13/10 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeBeckx 12/13/10 3:26 p.m.
     Here's an odd notionGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 3:20 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionZackDark 12/13/10 3:25 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionManKitten 12/13/10 4:37 p.m.
           Re: Here's an odd notionRC Master 12/13/10 4:43 p.m.
           Here's an odder notionThorsHammer 12/13/10 7:20 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 7:21 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionRC Master 12/13/10 8:17 p.m.
                 Re: Here's an odder notionCody Miller 12/14/10 2:01 p.m.
     Your opinion.munky-058 12/13/10 3:47 p.m.
           Re: Your opinion.Kermit 12/13/10 3:58 p.m.
           I agree with you and CodyManKitten 12/13/10 4:08 p.m.
                 Re: I agree with you and CodyBeckx 12/13/10 4:33 p.m.
                       Re: I agree with you and CodyManKitten 12/13/10 4:45 p.m.
                 I've always been supportive of honorable gameplay.munky-058 12/13/10 5:09 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeChrisTheeCrappy 12/13/10 4:27 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeKalamariKidd 12/13/10 5:19 p.m.
           Excuse me!?RC Master 12/13/10 7:58 p.m.
                 Re: Excuse me!?Beckx 12/13/10 8:33 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeWurny 12/13/10 5:43 p.m.
     You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...RC Master 12/13/10 7:52 p.m.
           oh yeah... ^ *long* *NM*RC Master 12/13/10 8:18 p.m.
           Love this post!Kermit 12/13/10 8:21 p.m.
                 Re: Love this post!General Battuta 12/13/10 8:55 p.m.
                       Re: Love this post!Kermit 12/13/10 9:29 p.m.
                 Re: Love this post!Bernard Strauss 12/14/10 10:50 a.m.
                       Re: Love this post!Kermit 12/14/10 1:02 p.m.
           Re: You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...Cody Miller 12/13/10 8:47 p.m.
                 Re: You know, you're kinda lucky Cody...RC Master 12/13/10 10:31 p.m.
     Fantastic..c0ld vengeance 12/13/10 9:19 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRagashingo 12/13/10 9:19 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 9:22 p.m.
                 Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeRagashingo 12/13/10 9:34 p.m.
                       Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeGeneral Battuta 12/13/10 10:00 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeAzo 'Galvat 12/13/10 9:44 p.m.
           Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's Timekidtsunami 12/13/10 11:06 p.m.
     External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/13/10 11:02 p.m.
           I pretty much agree.uberfoop 12/13/10 11:18 p.m.
           Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/14/10 7:21 a.m.
                 Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/14/10 10:58 a.m.
                       Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/14/10 12:49 p.m.
                             Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/14/10 3:47 p.m.
                                   Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationRC Master 12/17/10 4:49 a.m.
                                         Re: External Rewards on Intrinsic MotivationDecommissioner 12/17/10 2:36 p.m.
     Two Words: Skinner Box *NM*The Loot 12/14/10 12:10 a.m.
     Campaigns are the classic reward systemRC Master 12/14/10 7:08 a.m.
     Very nicely written, Cody.yakaman 12/14/10 1:16 p.m.
     How Oddly Relevant...Bones153 12/14/10 3:13 p.m.
           Re: How Oddly Relevant...SonofMacPhisto 12/14/10 3:44 p.m.
     Re: On Bungie and the Value of the Player's TimeNotTheVacuum 12/15/10 10:41 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.