Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I only just caught up
Posted By: RC MasterDate: 4/12/12 9:21 a.m.

In Response To: I only just caught up (SonGoharotto)

: My thoughts in brief: >Headhunter 2.0
: Sounds good to me.

: I also remember someone coming up with the idea of everyone cashing in their
: skulls all at once when the game ends, so building an early lead comes
: with the danger of becoming target number one for every other player.

I read that too - can't remember what they called it. But then games always go to the same length (to full time even) no matter how badly one side is being beaten - something I was trying to explicitly prevent with these designs. It also makes it highly chaotic and really only dependant on the final minute of gameplay: one team could have an absolute lead (x to 0 skulls) for the entire game, only to be killed 10 seconds before the end of the game and have all of their skulls taken - that might be amazing for the underdogs, but it's going to be frustrating as all hell for the team that was demonstrably better for most of the game.

: >Golden Gun
: It's not even really Oddball anymore, is it? If we're going that route, why
: not lift even more from GoldenEye?

: The Golden Gun is a Pistol by default for MM, but can be set to any other
: weapon for Custom games. Damage output is jacked up; one body shot to drop
: full shields and another to kill, or a headshot for instant kill. However,
: it has one clip and cannot be reloaded.

: Melee with the Golden Gun is also an instant kill, but once you run out of
: ammo, it is a liability to hold, because of the waypoint over your head.
: Points are only earned by getting kills with the Golden Gun, not just
: holding it, so this encourages active engagement instead of just running
: and hiding.

: The Golden Gun despawns instantly when dropped or if the carrier is killed
: and will respawn in a random location after a delay.

Because then you've just utterly broken expectations for that weapon. The point of this design was to explicitly NOT give the carrier an uber-weapon, but give them something that they can actually defend themsevles with, but isn't ideal in any situation.

Golden Eye was part of the inspiration, but really it's not like the Golden Gun gametype at all and wasn't meant to be - so I've named it badly. In Golden Eye, the Golden Gun itself was always a 1-shot-kill whereever you encountered it (though you did so rarely) - so expectations for how that weapon behaved were always consistent. Not so in the Halo gametype you're proposing.

Your gametype has two further problems:
Once a team has even a 1 point lead, they can pocket the 'Golden Pistol', use other weapons, and still maintain their lead - non capture problem all over again - only using it in pinches to assure their survival since it's so ridiculously overpowered.
Once it's out of ammo they could simply hold onto it, mainting the lead and preventing ANYONE from scoring - stagnating the game.

These are the some of same reasons I initially considered, and then rejected a non-slayer points-for-kills gametype. Score-over-time ensures that things always progress and unless a dominant team can lock down the entire damn map then they're going to hold the Focus Rifle just so the other team doesn't get it and catch up.

: >Jugger Gun
: A demonically possessed gun? Bullets for points? This just feels silly.

Sir, please, the entire multiplayer apart from Invasion is silly in epic proportions. I just felt I could offer an alternative to these less-played gametypes so I did. There is a reason they're in the 'crazy types' section.

The 'demonically possessed gun' is just a way to think about it - really it's just as completely arbitray and silly as running around with a man's skull and claiming becuase you've held it longer you're the victor. And then that skull exploding for absolutely no reason.

: I think Juggernaut should be about player traits. Greater damage output, more
: damage resistance, improved shields, heightened speed, higher jump, and
: infinite ammo. Not a lot of anything, just enough that facing the
: Juggernaut solo is a bad idea. The drawback is that you get a waypoint
: over your head and cannot pick up any weapons, so you're stuck with
: whatever you're holding.

: To offset the danger of someone with, say, a Sniper Rifle or Rocket Launcher
: becoming the Juggernaut, there is also a time limit. You get a 30-60
: second rampage (with on-screen timer) and then die. The next Juggernaut is
: chosen randomly, after a short delay. However, thwarting a Juggernaut
: earns you a bonus point and you immediately assume the role, with no
: delay.

OK, I think the name is confusing you - this is a team-based gametype that it sourced primarly from Oddball and it's variant Hot Potato. It feels a little like Juggernaut only in that one person will be walking around with a powerful weapon, slowly, and scoring.

Also I HATE gametypes that fiddle with traits too much. Being a zombie always fucks me up because the jump is completely off compared to what you've been using. I mean, if you're going to do anything like that, a simpler thing to do (that's just come to me) would be to have the Juggernuat turn into an Elite. Greater height, stronger shields, larger jump, faster, regenerating health - everything you want except the difference is it's not a weirded-out Spartan, but a complete and whole character that you can experience and get used to outside of that one tiny moment inside that one gametype.

But even then, if you become the juggernaut in the middle of a crowd you can either be dead instantly or get a ridiculous multi-kill, if you do almost all the damage but don't get the killing blow, you also get nothing - it's really chaotic.

: Most importantly, if you're not the Juggernaut, killing anyone other than the
: Juggernaut is counted as a betrayal. You lose a point and earn a respawn
: penalty. Until you work off that penalty, you cannot become the
: Juggernaut, even if you kill one yourself.

So if you betray someone, you'd have to die yourself before you're allowed to become the Juggernaut and earn points? THAT is silly. Players, if they accidentally betray, are going to just kill themselves (or what, you going to punish them doubly for that?) so they can get the punishment over with. Then you might as well be cutting out the middle man and just kill players instantly if they betray a teammate (CoD 'Ricochet' rules).

: >Power King
: Too complicated. King of the Hill is about map control, not weapon control.

And this is not KotH: This is Power King. If you want real, pure map control, I think 3-Plot Territories is a much better candidate anyway.

Complicated, yes, Ok - a fair criticism.

: Unfortunately, maps tend to be arena shaped, with high points looking
: inward, rather than hill shaped with a single vantage point in the middle,
: so this is a tough nut to crack.

: Maybe just being in the hill doesn't earn points. You have to get kills from
: the hill. Killing someone who is in the hill with you earns bonus points,
: so even if you're not confident in your ability to hold the position, you
: can stay competitive through boldness alone.

Still going to suffer from the non-capture problem. One of the reasons of tying the kill locations to weapons was to incentivise it - it ended up more like a single-location Territires I suppose since they would then lock - but that's so you don't just dip in, grab the weapon and then proceed to ignore the objective again.

: >Infection 2.0
: What if Zombies earned score multipliers? Extra points for multi-kills and
: kill-streaks means someone who spawns as an Alpha Zombie three rounds in a
: row actually has a shot at earning first place overall.

Multi-kills and sprees shouldn't give extra points towards the score since they mean basically nothing.
E.g. Player A kills a person after 3 seconds, then another person 7 seconds later - no multi-kill medal, 10 seconds expired.
Player B kills a player at 7 seconds, then another 3 seconds later - mult-kill awarded, 10 seconds expired, but it's still just two kills and Player A was scoring earlier.
For sprees: if Player A gets two kills, then dies twice, they're 2-2.
Player B gets 1 kill, dies, gets another kill, then dies again - they're 2-2 as well.

If you're talking about Killing Sprees as in 5 kills in a row, they're exceptionally hard for Zombies and the same principle still applies.

Briefly, the scoring system I constructed for Zombies was primarily based upon time:
Humans scored for the length of time they survived individually,
Zombies scored for how quickly they killed the humans and every zombie got points for a human death (work together to take them down),
Zombies got bonus points for kills and assists to stop free-loaders from having the same score.

This would actually turn the zombies into the hunters in scoring at least.

: >Oddball 2.0
: Since the Oddball is a skull, why not incorporate some story elements into
: the game? The skull has neural implants that you have to hack to recover
: valuable data.

: Holding the skull earns points as you hack it, but dropping it resets your
: progress. The only way to lock those points is to complete the hack, but
: doing so burns out the neural implants. The skull then despawns in your
: hands and a new one spawns elsewhere.

Interesting. I'll have to think about this one. Though I feel already that drops resetting your progress would make it so that the score would be less less likely to progress, and teams could abuse that by repeatedly dropping it intentionally to drag out the game.

Message Index

Replies:

Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1RC Master 3/19/12 7:20 a.m.
     Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1melee 3/19/12 9:11 a.m.
     Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Apirishin 3/19/12 9:39 a.m.
           Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1RC Master 3/19/12 1:49 p.m.
     This is why I prefer FFA ObjectivesSonGoharotto 3/19/12 10:35 a.m.
           Re: This is why I prefer FFA ObjectivesRC Master 3/19/12 2:05 p.m.
     Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Pkmnrulz240 3/19/12 12:49 p.m.
           Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1RC Master 3/19/12 3:01 p.m.
                 Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1uberfoop 3/19/12 3:30 p.m.
                       Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Bosticman 3/19/12 5:02 p.m.
                 Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Pkmnrulz240 3/19/12 4:03 p.m.
                       Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1uberfoop 3/19/12 4:44 p.m.
                             Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Pkmnrulz240 3/19/12 5:21 p.m.
                                   Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1uberfoop 3/19/12 5:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1RC Master 3/19/12 7:32 p.m.
                                         Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Pkmnrulz240 3/19/12 7:43 p.m.
                                               Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Revenant1988 3/19/12 8:05 p.m.
                                                     Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Pkmnrulz240 3/19/12 8:33 p.m.
                                                           Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1RC Master 3/20/12 7:58 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Revenant1988 3/20/12 8:33 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1RC Master 3/20/12 9:29 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Apirishin 3/20/12 10:04 a.m.
                                         Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1uberfoop 3/19/12 7:44 p.m.
                                               Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Gravemind 3/19/12 10:18 p.m.
                                                     Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1uberfoop 3/19/12 10:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Gravemind 3/19/12 11:58 p.m.
                                         Re: Why Halo's Objective Gametypes Suck - Part 1Gravemind 3/19/12 10:09 p.m.
     Part 2 -Why the other objectives suck tooRC Master 3/20/12 8:12 a.m.
           Re: Part 2 -Why the other objectives suck tooZaneZavin 3/20/12 10:57 a.m.
                 Re: Part 2 -Why the other objectives suck tooRC Master 3/20/12 12:10 p.m.
     Part 3 - Slayer's ProblemsRC Master 3/20/12 11:55 a.m.
           Re: Part 3 - Slayer's ProblemsBeckx 3/20/12 12:01 p.m.
           Invasion slayer.uberfoop 3/20/12 12:09 p.m.
                 Re: Invasion slayer.RC Master 3/20/12 12:15 p.m.
                       Re: Invasion slayer.uberfoop 3/20/12 12:32 p.m.
                       I was wondering about that...SonGoharotto 3/20/12 1:58 p.m.
                             Re: I was wondering about that...bluerunner 3/20/12 2:11 p.m.
                                   Re: I was wondering about that...Beckx 3/20/12 2:31 p.m.
                                   Invasion is awesome. (LONG)Revenant1988 3/20/12 2:50 p.m.
                                         Agreed.Gravemind 3/20/12 3:14 p.m.
                                               Re: Agreed.Apirishin 3/20/12 3:45 p.m.
                                                     What if Invasion didn't mean taking turns?SonGoharotto 3/20/12 4:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: What if Invasion didn't mean taking turns?Apirishin 3/20/12 4:27 p.m.
                                                                 ^ This *NM*SonGoharotto 3/20/12 4:42 p.m.
                                         Re: Invasion is awesome. (LONG)RC Master 3/21/12 12:15 a.m.
                                   Changing The NarrativeSonGoharotto 3/20/12 3:41 p.m.
     Part 4 - Broken, but can it still be fun?RC Master 3/20/12 8:58 p.m.
     Part 5 - Invasion & RushRC Master 3/20/12 11:37 p.m.
     Hey Wu...?RC Master 3/21/12 3:32 a.m.
           Re: Hey Wu...?Louis Wu 3/21/12 8:19 a.m.
                 Re: Hey Wu...?Sqorck 3/21/12 8:58 a.m.
                 Re: Hey Wu...?Revenant1988 3/21/12 9:00 a.m.
                       Re: Hey Wu...?Louis Wu 3/21/12 9:18 a.m.
                             Re: Hey Wu...?Revenant1988 3/21/12 9:36 a.m.
                                   Re: Hey Wu...?CaneCutter 3/21/12 10:18 a.m.
                 Re: Hey Wu...?RC Master 3/21/12 1:31 p.m.
                       Re: Hey Wu...?Louis Wu 3/21/12 1:52 p.m.
                             Re: Hey Wu...?Miguel Chavez 3/22/12 12:05 a.m.
                                   Re: Hey Wu...?DEEP NNN 3/22/12 6:37 a.m.
                             Re: Hey Wu...?RC Master 3/22/12 12:55 p.m.
                       Re: Hey Wu...?Hoovaloov 3/21/12 5:31 p.m.
                             Re: Hey Wu...?RC Master 3/22/12 2:34 p.m.
                                   Re: Hey Wu...?Hoovaloov 3/22/12 7:26 p.m.
     Part 6 - 3-Plot TerritoriesRC Master 3/22/12 10:45 a.m.
           Re: Part 6 - 3-Plot TerritoriesZaneZavin 3/22/12 4:25 p.m.
           Re: Part 6 - 3-Plot Territoriesnillapuddin 3/22/12 7:37 p.m.
     Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeRC Master 3/23/12 8:51 a.m.
           Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeChrisTheeCrappy 3/23/12 11:34 a.m.
                 Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypepete_the_duck 3/23/12 12:23 p.m.
                       Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeChrisTheeCrappy 3/23/12 12:32 p.m.
                             Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypepete_the_duck 3/23/12 12:40 p.m.
                                   Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeChrisTheeCrappy 3/23/12 12:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeRC Master 3/24/12 1:52 p.m.
                                         Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypepete_the_duck 3/24/12 3:02 p.m.
                                               Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeZaneZavin 3/24/12 7:08 p.m.
                                                     Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypepete_the_duck 3/24/12 7:21 p.m.
                                                           Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeZaneZavin 3/24/12 7:56 p.m.
                                                           Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeRC Master 3/25/12 4:52 a.m.
                                                     Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeRC Master 3/25/12 4:48 a.m.
                                               Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeRC Master 3/25/12 4:40 a.m.
                                                     Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypepete_the_duck 3/25/12 10:59 a.m.
                                                           Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeZaneZavin 3/25/12 11:51 a.m.
                                                           Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeRC Master 3/26/12 5:28 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypepete_the_duck 3/26/12 7:32 p.m.
                                                                       Pete, you have a dealRC Master 4/4/12 2:10 p.m.
                       Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeRC Master 3/24/12 1:43 p.m.
                 Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeRC Master 3/24/12 9:48 a.m.
                       Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeRC Master 3/24/12 12:48 p.m.
                             Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeChrisTheeCrappy 3/26/12 12:50 a.m.
           Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeHoovaloov 3/26/12 1:51 a.m.
                 Re: Part 7 - Invasion Control gametypeChrisTheeCrappy 3/26/12 8:46 a.m.
     Part 8 - Slayer and Flag evolvedRC Master 3/25/12 6:10 p.m.
           Re: Part 8 - Slayer and Flag evolvedHoovaloov 3/26/12 2:24 a.m.
                 Re: Part 8 - Slayer and Flag evolvedRC Master 3/26/12 4:50 a.m.
     Part 9 - A different way to AssaultRC Master 4/4/12 2:32 p.m.
     Part 10 & 11 - Weird versions of Oddball, King etcRC Master 4/10/12 1:51 p.m.
           :'( no reactions at all?RC Master 4/11/12 3:06 p.m.
                 I only just caught upSonGoharotto 4/11/12 9:40 p.m.
                       Re: I only just caught upRC Master 4/12/12 9:21 a.m.
                             Re: I only just caught upSonGoharotto 4/12/12 8:08 p.m.
           Re: Part 10 & 11 - Weird versions of Oddball, Kingstabbim 4/12/12 3:32 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.