/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Ouch!
Posted By: Inverted Sock PuppetDate: 6/30/02 5:11 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Ouch! (Steve Levinson)

: The person who finds the answer to that should receive the Nobel peace
: prize yearly for the rest of their life! Actually, I think that the
: correct term for someone who can solve that problem is
: "messiah". IMHO, the best, most logical approach would be to
: create a world order in which all countries that share our core values
: work together, providing significant financial and personal help to all
: countries willing to adopt these values and excluding those that are not
: from trade, technology and travel, etc.

That sounds like an excellent idea, but then again the most logical approach is rarely taken.

:The word "values" has
: been misused a lot in recent years by the Christian fundamentalists. We
: need to be much more basic than that - we aren't going to go to war over
: such issues as abortion, etc. If we focus our core values on basic human
: rights, a number of countries that we traditionally don't view as allies
: could qualify with limited change - countries like China, believe it or
: not. Working together is in everyone's best interest, even if it means
: putting some ideals on hold, such as abolishing capital punishment.

Working together is definatly a good thing. To use an Australian example here (always wanted to) think of the Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Power Scheme. This was basically drilling holes (vertical and diagonal) through mountains putting pipes in them. Rivers were diverted so that they flowed through the pipes (which had turbines) and generated hydro-electricity. The whole point of this was that 70% of the workforce were immigrants (this was after WW2). If differences such as language and culture had not been overlooked then the Scheme would never have been completed. But it was and 20 odd years later the largest (and still working) hydro-electric scheme in the world was built and is still an amazing engineering feat which is prized around the world for there being hardly any impact of natural vegetation/habitat/animals etc. Now that I've finished plugging my country (we are not all yokels) I'll go back to my point that working together is good.

: Finally, we need to recognize that some of our fundamental beliefs, as
: opposed to core values, are flawed. We cannot go on considering it our
: right to plunder the planet of its resources just because we can afford
: to. We cannot continue to use a vastly disproportionate share of the
: world's energy output and not take responsibility for global warming. We
: have to change, too.

True, I can't be bothered continuing this debate on any more so I'll sum it up now in saying that the world would be a better place if we all change and help each other out. Done and done.

::cleans hands::

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/17/02 5:14 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/17/02 8:19 p.m.
           Great references - thanks *NM*Steve Levinson 6/17/02 10:06 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneAgent Cletus 6/18/02 9:56 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneBen A. Potter 6/18/02 12:09 p.m.
                 LOL, U prove my point. Cletus.Agent Cletus 6/18/02 12:34 p.m.
                       Re: LOL, U prove my point. Cletus.Steve Levinson 6/18/02 12:58 p.m.
                       So totally wrong . . .MakeMineRed 6/18/02 1:02 p.m.
                       again...Ben A. Potter 6/19/02 1:18 p.m.
                 I couldn't have said it better myselfSteve Levinson 6/18/02 12:40 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneMakeMineRed 6/18/02 12:39 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/18/02 1:39 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/18/02 2:34 p.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/18/02 4:06 p.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/18/02 7:11 p.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/18/02 7:20 p.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneMazilurik 6/18/02 8:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneAgent Cletus 6/19/02 6:29 a.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/19/02 7:48 a.m.
                                         Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/19/02 11:59 a.m.
                                               Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/19/02 1:58 p.m.
                                                     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/19/02 6:35 p.m.
                                                           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/19/02 7:26 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/20/02 9:15 a.m.
                                                           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/19/02 8:08 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneInverted Sock Puppet 6/20/02 12:34 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/20/02 7:30 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/20/02 9:13 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/20/02 9:35 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/20/02 9:22 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneInverted Sock Puppet 6/21/02 12:56 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/21/02 7:14 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneInverted Sock Puppet 6/22/02 1:50 a.m.
                                                                                         Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/22/02 9:23 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Ouch!:: Beer Can :: 6/22/02 12:45 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Ouch!Tru7h 6/22/02 1:59 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Ouch!:: Beer Can :: 6/22/02 5:36 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/22/02 7:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Ouch!Mazilurik 6/22/02 9:13 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/22/02 9:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Ouch!Tru7h 6/23/02 7:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/23/02 8:26 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/24/02 12:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Ouch!:: Beer Can :: 6/24/02 1:22 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               8^D *NM*Steve Levinson 6/24/02 7:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               LOL *NM*Tru7h 6/25/02 7:35 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/24/02 8:01 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/25/02 12:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Ouch!Tru7h 6/25/02 7:48 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/25/02 8:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/26/02 1:16 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Ouch!:: Beer Can :: 6/26/02 2:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/26/02 8:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Ouch!:: Beer Can :: 6/26/02 11:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/27/02 12:39 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/27/02 7:51 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/28/02 5:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/28/02 7:32 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 5:11 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneC Lund 6/18/02 2:54 p.m.
           Perceptions of ScienceSteve Levinson 6/18/02 3:13 p.m.
                 My badAgent Cletus 6/18/02 3:45 p.m.
                       Re: My badSteve Levinson 6/18/02 3:59 p.m.
                             Re: My badAgent Cletus 6/18/02 5:13 p.m.
                                   Re: My badMazilurik 6/18/02 6:47 p.m.
                                   Re: My badTru7h 6/18/02 7:16 p.m.
                                         Re: My badYossarian 6/18/02 7:32 p.m.
                                               Re: My badInverted Sock Puppet 6/19/02 12:50 a.m.
                                               Re: My badSteve Levinson 6/19/02 7:50 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/29/02 8:04 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneInverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 4:35 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/30/02 2:58 p.m.
                       *Slight spoiler*Inverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 4:48 p.m.
                             Re: *Slight spoiler*Steve Levinson 6/30/02 6:24 p.m.
                                   Re: *Slight spoiler*Inverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 7:40 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.