/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

again...
Posted By: Ben A. PotterDate: 6/19/02 1:18 p.m.

In Response To: LOL, U prove my point. Cletus. (Agent Cletus)

: ps, don't study science pre-1860. It's all bankrupt. Chinese, Greek, Arab,
: Roman, Jewish, Indian, Japanese, European. How could it not be? They
: believed in God. -- Self stands alone.

Uh, the majority of Chinese, pre-Christian Greeks, Arabs, Romans, Jews, Indians, and the Japanese would be supremely offended by your statement. And what the heck are you talking about re. pre-1860 science?

: (Oh, well. This is a Marathon forum. If we're free to discuss this kind of
: stuff on a game forum, it's a heady game.)

How apropos that one of the games I was involved with is "Origin of Species" ;P

: Very true and well put! They are guilty as charged. And they also prove my
: point. =P Science stands in the hand of self, and is ultimately corrupt
: itself until it is recognized for what it is.

And how is it corrupt exactly?

cf. Martian Chronicles by
: Bradbury. cf. Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis. (Do you realize, by saying
: "They fail to understand that science informs us about what IS, not
: what OUGHT to be," you are in fact showing the bias you OUGHT to be
: proud of???)

Which bias is that? It is a statement of fact. That _is_ the difference between science and metaphysics (i.e., ethics, ontology, etc.)

: That's a big blanket statement to say that all creationists everywhere do not
: use the scientific method.

It is a big blanket statement, and it is also the truth. Scientific creationism is an oxymoron.

Maybe scientists should debate more often.

Do you have the vaguest inkling about what scientists do?

Or
: better yet, they should read Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil.

I've read it. This underscores why metaphysical texts are not science. Science deals with empirical data.

Or they
: should play more 'thon! ("Blast the genetically engineered
: frogs!" -- "Oops") Nevertheless, would you admit that you
: are a subjective man, biased in any way? I am. And so are you. It is human
: nature. So then, how can you fill the Shoes of Objectivity you create for
: yourself if you know you can't fill them?

Here's a phrase I coined: What is the operational difference between intersubjectivity and objectivity? Think about it. A muslim who speaks Azerbaijani and a Hindu who speaks Indian can do an experiment and analyze it correctly.

: Then again, maybe it's the scientific method that needs revision.

And thousands of scientists over the last 200 years have all got it wrong? Okay, you should stop taking antibiotics. Don't use any motor vehicles or toothpaste, or any technological innovation of the last 200 years. All irony aside, I hope you realize that of all the "ways of knowing", science has the unique and interesting capacity to actually work.

Cheers,

Ben

: Be subjective. Be the Tru7h. Create the creator.

: Cletus Agentus

http://www.talkorigins.org/

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/17/02 5:14 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/17/02 8:19 p.m.
           Great references - thanks *NM*Steve Levinson 6/17/02 10:06 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneAgent Cletus 6/18/02 9:56 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneBen A. Potter 6/18/02 12:09 p.m.
                 LOL, U prove my point. Cletus.Agent Cletus 6/18/02 12:34 p.m.
                       Re: LOL, U prove my point. Cletus.Steve Levinson 6/18/02 12:58 p.m.
                       So totally wrong . . .MakeMineRed 6/18/02 1:02 p.m.
                       again...Ben A. Potter 6/19/02 1:18 p.m.
                 I couldn't have said it better myselfSteve Levinson 6/18/02 12:40 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneMakeMineRed 6/18/02 12:39 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/18/02 1:39 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/18/02 2:34 p.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/18/02 4:06 p.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/18/02 7:11 p.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/18/02 7:20 p.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneMazilurik 6/18/02 8:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneAgent Cletus 6/19/02 6:29 a.m.
                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/19/02 7:48 a.m.
                                         Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/19/02 11:59 a.m.
                                               Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/19/02 1:58 p.m.
                                                     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/19/02 6:35 p.m.
                                                           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/19/02 7:26 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/20/02 9:15 a.m.
                                                           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneYossarian 6/19/02 8:08 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneInverted Sock Puppet 6/20/02 12:34 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/20/02 7:30 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/20/02 9:13 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/20/02 9:35 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/20/02 9:22 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneInverted Sock Puppet 6/21/02 12:56 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneTru7h 6/21/02 7:14 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneInverted Sock Puppet 6/22/02 1:50 a.m.
                                                                                         Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/22/02 9:23 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Ouch!:: Beer Can :: 6/22/02 12:45 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Ouch!Tru7h 6/22/02 1:59 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Ouch!:: Beer Can :: 6/22/02 5:36 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/22/02 7:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Ouch!Mazilurik 6/22/02 9:13 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/22/02 9:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Ouch!Tru7h 6/23/02 7:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/23/02 8:26 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/24/02 12:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Ouch!:: Beer Can :: 6/24/02 1:22 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               8^D *NM*Steve Levinson 6/24/02 7:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               LOL *NM*Tru7h 6/25/02 7:35 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/24/02 8:01 a.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/25/02 12:52 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Ouch!Tru7h 6/25/02 7:48 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/25/02 8:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/26/02 1:16 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: Ouch!:: Beer Can :: 6/26/02 2:00 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/26/02 8:20 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: Ouch!:: Beer Can :: 6/26/02 11:53 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/27/02 12:39 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/27/02 7:51 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                               Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/28/02 5:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Ouch!Steve Levinson 6/28/02 7:32 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                                                           Re: Ouch!Inverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 5:11 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneC Lund 6/18/02 2:54 p.m.
           Perceptions of ScienceSteve Levinson 6/18/02 3:13 p.m.
                 My badAgent Cletus 6/18/02 3:45 p.m.
                       Re: My badSteve Levinson 6/18/02 3:59 p.m.
                             Re: My badAgent Cletus 6/18/02 5:13 p.m.
                                   Re: My badMazilurik 6/18/02 6:47 p.m.
                                   Re: My badTru7h 6/18/02 7:16 p.m.
                                         Re: My badYossarian 6/18/02 7:32 p.m.
                                               Re: My badInverted Sock Puppet 6/19/02 12:50 a.m.
                                               Re: My badSteve Levinson 6/19/02 7:50 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/29/02 8:04 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneInverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 4:35 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Science Stands AloneSteve Levinson 6/30/02 2:58 p.m.
                       *Slight spoiler*Inverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 4:48 p.m.
                             Re: *Slight spoiler*Steve Levinson 6/30/02 6:24 p.m.
                                   Re: *Slight spoiler*Inverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 7:40 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.