glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..
Posted By: Hawaiian PigDate: 11/13/09 10:47 a.m.

In Response To: Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh.. (Narcogen)

: I think I'd also agree that it is more difficult, but I'm just not sure what
: that's relevant to. I think it's a normal Yankee prejudice to assume that
: hard work pays off and generates better things.

: However I'm also inclined to agree with Brecht: virtue is not bound up with
: misery. Just because something is hard to achieve does not make it better,
: more worthy, or more desireable. In short, just because Bungie would have
: to work harder to make a Halo game that would satisfy your segment of the
: market does not make it a better thing for Bungie to have done so.

: Especially so since I seriously doubt the statement that such a game would
: automatically be better for everyone else also.

I think I mentioned several times that the focus for designing games does not have to be solely on one side of the fence or another (there are certainly a few points of intersection). I still feel that changes to one side are practically inconsequential to the other. Rich atmosphere and story doesn't affect in any way the three elements of higher level play I discussed (that you seemed to skip over; fair enough, if I wasn't into narratives either I may have glossed over a discussion on literary theory).

: Yes, I think some of us did think that was silly, or perhaps more
: appropriately, both wrong and presumptuous.

Yeah, I was buttering up those words. It was straight up wrong.

: No, I don't think we think that. I don't think that. What I think is that if
: I tried your approach to my games, that is what it would feel like to me.
: So I would be wary of a game that is designed to cater to your approach,
: as opposed to mine, and I am suspicious of the promise that a game
: designed to cater to your tastes would also be better for me and for
: everyone else-- just because.

I'd invite you to actually consider game theory a little more, then. At the moment I think you're dismissing it "just because" you're not entirely familiar with it. If you don't like the sports analogy, look at literally any other non-cooperative multiplayer game that is highly successful and has enjoyed significant longevity; there are countless examples of games with a low buy-in for new players and a very distant skill ceiling.

I can play chess, but I have no idea what the name of the opening is when I move my pawn forward two spaces. I can play that game on the fly and wing it, and if I'm playing with someone of equal skill it works. It derives complexity entirely from strategy, as its a game of perfect information and no execution element. At the strategic level, there are a finite number of rules that provide a significantly large number of options. That said, the number of options isn't too large, so the game doesn't get overwhelming. This is a game, I feel, exemplifies significant complexity.

Would adding a compelling narrative and backstory to the two warring factions of the chess board interfere with this? Would adding badass cinematic-style animations to the board disrupt this balance?

If there were a social element to party chatting during chess, would changing the rules of the game truly affect this interaction? I feel it actually does to some extent. Since the difficulty in mastering a game can determine the longevity, it also determines how long you want to play a specific game before it gets stale for you and your buddies. I noticed in various ODST threads that people felt firefight practically ended after Wave 4 and, at that point, it becomes solvable. Once it's solved, no one wants to play it.

Perhaps due to lack of complexity in strategy (maybe: once wave 4 hits you employ one strategy and changing it unilaterally would not benefit you in anyway), or perhaps due to execution-based elements (maybe: Halo gameplay can't be stretched indefinitely as one's player control and interaction with the world isn't varied enough).

It's here that I think designing with the higher level (again, the term is hierarchical in terms of concepts, not skill based) elements of play that I described can benefit others. Adding depth in these areas can provide longevity, whether or not all players realize it.

: I think this assumption is, in nearly every important respect, wrong. Just
: about every analogy that has attempted to explain it, usually using pro
: sports metaphors, is also wrong, because they mischaracterize, either
: accidentally or perhaps intentionally, the nature of the suggested changes
: and the relative effects on different audiences.

I'm not sure why you're so vehemently against the sports metaphors. (Part of) Halo is a non-cooperative multiplayer game, and this is directly analogous to sports as well as any other adversarial game. I feel that depth of strategy, execution, and information exchange are fundamental in all non-cooperative multiplayer games, and Halo is no different.

: If the requirements of the competitive gamer require core game mechanics that
: are that different, then make a separate game for it. It seems to me that
: the core mechanics of Halo, by and large, work just fine. A large number
: of people find it fun. They have bought the games, they subscribe to the
: service, they play it fairly often-- more often than any other game on the
: service.

: The idea that this can easily be 'tweaked' in a way that seems so
: fundamentally wrong to me, in terms of the approach of the designer to the
: player, so that you will be immensely pleased and the rest of us either
: won't notice or will also enjoy it seems to me a foolish one.

Halo, to some extent, like chess strikes an admirable balance when you look at it strictly from a game-design standpoint (as opposed to say story-design, graphic-design, social-network-design). As a system of rules (developed by the "sandbox") that dictate one's strategy and execution and that regulates one's available information, I think it finds an interesting mix.

That said, I do think this can be tweaked, and so does the developer. AR starts, as I mentioned, very much epitomizes this. As a safeguard for weaker players, the impetus was to keep headshottable weapons out of players hands to mitigate the execution-based elements of BR play. The problem was, that the dominant strategy of BR use is still available, and that leads to an imbalance of available dominant strategies. As I said in the original post (in the part you seemed to not understand?), this forced the game to rely on the initial AR encounters which are easier to master (execution) and, therefore, have a frustratingly low skill ceiling.

It's no surprise, then, to see that there's either considerable discontent with AR starts or just simply apathy. Those who don't understand (or more specifically, do not derive satisfaction from the competitive elements of play) simply don't care, and the effect on them is minimal. At best, it only serves to bring them slightly higher up in trueskill rank and ultimately mismatch them with players who excel with the dominant strategies. I'd contend that, while BR starts would limit their rank, they'd get matched up more accurately, would not get dominated, and then continue to not care. If the aesthetic of the rank is bothersome, then adjust it superficially.

: You just keep saying the same things. You admit that as the audience becomes
: larger, the things you care about become less important to the broader
: audience in comparison to other elements, yet you frustratingly continue
: to insist that you can have your cake and Bungie can eat it too, because
: you can get what you want without anyone else being affected.

And you frustratingly insist that it's impossible and throw up your hands. I think that's unfair; I've been trying to demonstrate how it is possible, and you seem to ignore that.

: Is it your assertion then that Halo, or perhaps merely ODST, is
: insufficiently complex and designed for idiots? Or are we speaking of some
: other games?

I'll reiterate here: Halo strikes an interesting mix of the higher level elements of play. On the competitive multiplayer side, exceptionally well. On the campaign side, well it is less important to consider these elements of play; however, as I've touched on in this thread and in others, that "dullness" of encounters in ODST (most specifically, Firefight Scenarios in the campaign) can be addressed when thinking of these elements. The monster-closet encounter ends up devolving into a single strategy: you sit there and wait for enemies to come and you react. Strategically, it's drastically thin. This leaves complexity to be found only in the execution of the encounter (and there are only so many times you can Shoot, Grenade, Melee the same guys over and over). Instead, as many can attest, some of the best encounters are strategically rich and provide the player with multiple options. The often recalled large and open encounters in Halo 1 provide extreme versatility in this regard. Strategy is found in the two warring factions (flood/covenant), the many options of entry into the battle, the weapons you bring to the battle and so forth.

I'm rambling, but do you not see how these concepts apply and can enrich the experience? I think a lot of the things GhaleonEB criticized in his post on ODST (that I vehemently agreed with) can be considered in this context, and I feel they would benefit from developers doing so.

: The movie industry is making interactive movies? News to me. I thought that
: went out with Smell-O-Vision.

Hah, nope, but the video game industry is. :)

: Honestly, beyond this point I had extreme difficulty in extracting what it is
: that you concretely wanted to say about what makes Halo or other games
: good or bad and how they can be improved, so I'm going to snip on down to
: the tldr version.

This is really unfortunate, as the aim of the post was to attempt to deconstruct how I view complexity in games. The ideas are tough to grasp, and I may not be so great in articulating them, but I was hoping you specifically would give it a chance.

: Your (ahem) 'casual' dismissal speaks volumes.

The volume it was intended to speak was to say: Come on guys, this should be a given, and I shouldn't have to clarify this.

: I think where the accusations come in is where it is assumed that better
: players know better what depth and replayability are, and the way they
: assume that what is true for them is automatically true for others... and
: if not, so what?

: I've railed against this in the past but I think it is self-evident that,
: striving to create a fun and social experience with multiplayer, Bungie
: intentionally narrowed the skill ceiling when moving from H1 to H2.

: You think they're right, I think they're right.

Do I think they're right? I think they made some of the best decisions they can. Some don't resonate with me, but I do have to make concessions when there is an intersection of interests. I still feel, and have attempted to demonstrate this at every turn, that crafting a social experience need not bring down the skill ceiling. Many competitive games and pro sports (oh no!) don't compromise the fun to be had in a pick-up game with friends.

The difference between sports and Halo, here, is that we must constantly return to the issue of matchmaking. Everyone plays on the same court. That said, I think it's an absolute band-aid solution to adjust the game itself rather than find solutions to the matchmaking system.

That said, I made these concessions and continued to play Halo. Why? I actually value the social aspect of Halo more than the competitive aspect. Mainly because the latter isn't as enriching as I find it in other games.

Of course, these concessions are similar to how the lore junkie in me would excuse things like the sudden disappearance of a certain hand-cannon from the UNSC's armory. You'd think humanity's last hope would have access to the most powerful shit available to him. Also what the hell happened to the Mark VI's gaunlets.

: Yes, because looking at the top titles on live, it's evident that Halo is
: clearly lacking in longevity. ODST might, but let's consider-- it's an
: abbreviated campaign with a single new multiplayer mode. The 2nd disc is
: basically Halo 3 again.

A second multiplayer mode lacking in Significant Complexity™

: You're entitled :)

ty

: Still need to define your terms :)

a goatrope is a cool guy. cool guy can be broken down further. guy is a clearly defined term, however cool is tougher to address. I feel that this can be understood to operate within a hierarchy of concepts...

: Let's put it this way. With regards to multiplayer, replayability for some
: people lasts as long as it takes them to hit their personal skill ceiling.
: This is something rapture said over at hushed casket in a thread about
: MW2.

Agreed with that.

: If this is the case, increasing the skill ceiling only increases the
: granularity of distinctions between people, leads to people hitting their
: skill ceiling (when they are losing as often as they are winning) sooner,
: because the better people are performing better against lower-skilled
: players than they do currently.

Should this not, by definition of the matchmaking system, place them at a point where they win as much as they lose? Is that not the point of the system? Players will grind away in the matchmaking system, winning games, until they start to lose. At that point, is the ideal not to keep them at this point, straddling the height of their personal skill ceiling? From there, wouldn't further practice at this level increase their personal skill ceiling? What happens when the height of that skill ceiling has a low limit? When players hit that, they quit playing. Halo's ceiling is sufficiently high enough that this doesn't happen as often. Other games suffer from this greatly. Maybe we should consider this in game designnnnnn.

: This is exactly what I mean when I say the benefits of such changes are not
: symmetrical. They are very, very asymmetrical, and they benefit only those
: at the top in any meaningful and measureable way. All the other benefits
: are intangible, unsupported by any evidence, and ultimately all the
: arguments for it boil down to "but this is how the game should be
: played according to those who are best at it", which I reject. This
: is where nearly all the pro sports metaphors break down, and there's a
: reason why they break down: because the underlying presumption is false.

This part really doesn't work anymore in light of what I said above, and I think you need to specifically demonstrate why applying the concepts I developed result in asymmetrical game design. I think I went to great lengths to demonstrate otherwise.

We're still cool right?

GNET TWITTER

Message Index

Replies:

So you guys want specifics on game design eh...Hawaiian Pig 11/12/09 11:34 p.m.
     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..dizzy 11/12/09 11:53 p.m.
     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Eiii 11/13/09 12:02 a.m.
           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 12:19 a.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Avateur 11/13/09 12:44 a.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 1:11 a.m.
                             Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Avateur 11/13/09 1:31 a.m.
                                   Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 1:45 a.m.
     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..ForShadow 11/13/09 12:52 a.m.
           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..reprobate 11/13/09 2:28 a.m.
     namedrop B| *NM*Cow 11/13/09 1:10 a.m.
           no me *NM*Eiii 11/13/09 2:13 a.m.
     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hunt3r 11/13/09 1:27 a.m.
           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Cody Miller 11/13/09 2:25 a.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 2:29 a.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Eiii 11/13/09 3:04 a.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Narcogen 11/13/09 3:23 a.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..ThorsHammer 11/16/09 2:14 p.m.
           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Narcogen 11/13/09 3:22 a.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 1:18 p.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..General Vagueness 11/13/09 1:45 p.m.
                             Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Cody Miller 11/13/09 1:51 p.m.
                                   anything not on the bottom LEFT *NM*Cody Miller 11/13/09 1:52 p.m.
                                   Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..General Vagueness 11/13/09 2:02 p.m.
     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Narcogen 11/13/09 3:17 a.m.
           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..General Vagueness 11/13/09 10:36 a.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Louis Wu 11/13/09 10:51 a.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 11:06 a.m.
                             Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Louis Wu 11/13/09 11:20 a.m.
                                   Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 11:37 a.m.
                                         Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Louis Wu 11/13/09 11:56 a.m.
                                               Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 12:09 p.m.
                                         Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 12:06 p.m.
                                         Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/13/09 3:56 p.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..General Vagueness 11/13/09 11:43 a.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Narcogen 11/13/09 11:05 p.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 11:48 p.m.
                             Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Louis Wu 11/14/09 7:50 a.m.
                                   Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Cody Miller 11/14/09 1:27 p.m.
                                         Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 11/14/09 1:43 p.m.
                                               Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Cody Miller 11/14/09 2:00 p.m.
                                                     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..scarab 11/14/09 2:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..psychophan7 11/14/09 5:06 p.m.
                                                           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Cody Miller 11/14/09 5:32 p.m.
                                                                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..psychophan7 11/14/09 6:11 p.m.
                             Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..General Vagueness 11/14/09 1:07 p.m.
           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 10:47 a.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Louis Wu 11/13/09 11:01 a.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 11:28 a.m.
                             Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Narcogen 11/14/09 12:28 a.m.
                                   Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/15/09 10:00 p.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Narcogen 11/13/09 11:50 p.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..RC Master 11/14/09 11:31 a.m.
                             Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/14/09 9:01 p.m.
                                   Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/14/09 9:30 p.m.
                                   Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Louis Wu 11/15/09 7:03 a.m.
                                         Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/15/09 8:38 a.m.
                                               Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/15/09 5:10 p.m.
                                                     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..elessar787 11/16/09 12:49 a.m.
                                                           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Narcogen 11/16/09 2:47 a.m.
                                                     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..ThorsHammer 11/16/09 5:14 p.m.
                                                           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/16/09 8:12 p.m.
                                                           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..psychophan7 11/16/09 10:24 p.m.
     Great url for the image *NM*Monochron 11/13/09 10:09 a.m.
     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Cody Miller 11/13/09 12:20 p.m.
           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 12:30 p.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Eiii 11/13/09 12:44 p.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 12:48 p.m.
           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Eiii 11/13/09 12:35 p.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..reprobate 11/13/09 11:12 p.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..psychophan7 11/14/09 12:08 a.m.
                       Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Eiii 11/14/09 6:31 p.m.
                             Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..psychophan7 11/14/09 7:14 p.m.
                                   Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Eiii 11/14/09 9:24 p.m.
                                         Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..psychophan7 11/14/09 9:53 p.m.
                                               Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Eiii 11/14/09 10:20 p.m.
                                                     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..psychophan7 11/14/09 10:23 p.m.
     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..psychophan7 11/13/09 3:29 p.m.
           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hawaiian Pig 11/13/09 4:15 p.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..psychophan7 11/13/09 4:47 p.m.
     Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Hedgemony 11/13/09 6:24 p.m.
           Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..Narcogen 11/14/09 12:31 a.m.
                 Re: So you guys want specifics on game design eh..scarab 11/14/09 2:12 a.m.
                       Oh please, no.psychophan7 11/14/09 3:48 a.m.
                             Re: Oh please, no.scarab 11/14/09 7:20 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh please, no.scarab 11/14/09 7:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Oh please, no.psychophan7 11/14/09 5:48 p.m.
                                               Re: Oh please, no.scarab 11/14/09 7:16 p.m.
                                                     Re: Oh please, no.psychophan7 11/15/09 5:36 p.m.
                                                           How's high school going psychophan7? *NM*General Vagueness 11/16/09 8:18 a.m.
                                                                 Re: How's high school going psychophan7?psychophan7 11/16/09 2:40 p.m.
                                                                       That's good to hear. *NM*General Vagueness 11/16/09 3:39 p.m.
                                   Re: Oh please, no.RC Master 11/14/09 3:41 p.m.
                                         Re: Oh please, no.General Vagueness 11/14/09 3:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Oh please, no.psychophan7 11/14/09 5:21 p.m.
                                               Re: Oh please, no.RC Master 11/14/09 7:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Oh please, no.psychophan7 11/14/09 9:59 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.