Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I hate to admit it... *long*
Posted By: SonofMacPhisto <sethjewett@gmail.com>Date: 7/31/08 2:09 p.m.

In Response To: I hate to admit it... (Narcogen)

:Well, what 343GS said has two parts. The first part was "last time, you asked me, would I do it" and: the first part is "why would you hesitate to do what you have already done".

:If one interprets the first "you" as a personal reference to the Chief, it means that they have met in :the past, and the Chief asked GS if he would activate the rings. However, if the Chief travels back in :time after the activation of 04a he doesn't need to ask that-- he already knows the answer.

If Master Chief went back 100,000 years to the original firing of the rings, I can see him having this debate with 343. The reason is, because when Chief fired 04a it was in a position that didn't threaten the entire galaxy.

He was safe to fire it, because if worse came to worse only the Arbiter, Johnson, and himself would perish. 'Fast-forward' to his future in the past, and now he's in a position to fire the rings again, but in a way that while wipe out the entire galaxy. He then has this discussion with 343.

He would certainly have some trepidation about firing the rings in that situation. I wonder though, perhaps his conscripted military training, which has given him the ability to make tough decisions, is what pushes the Forerunners to activate the rings? One thing Bungie talks about, I think, regarding the Chief as a 'ur-hero' is that he doesn't hesitate to act. Per the Terminals, the lack of will to act seemed to have mainly been the Forerunner's undoing.

Moving on to something complete different:

One thing that struck me as well in relation to all this, is what if Cortana and Master Chief ARE the Librarian and Didact? I don't think it would be difficult to develop in the fiction. Perhaps the Forerunners give Cortana a body with which she can live, perhaps containing her rampancy as well. Chief joins Forerunner society, and perhaps even scales the ladders of whatever 'society' they have because of his secret knowledge of the future.

THAT would be interesting to me... I see something like Chief knowing the Forerunner's 'solution' to the Flood is the only way. Yet, because of his and the Forerunner's trepidation about using it they still attempt conventional means of containment (the 300 years of struggle mentioned in the terminals). (Halo 1-3 is sort of a microcosm of this struggle - 04 is destroyed to contain the Flood, and 04a is fired because truly, that's the only way.) However, when it reaches the point where the rings MUST be fired in the past Cortana/Librarian is out on the indexing project... and now Chief risks losing her for good.

In a way, I find it hard to believe Chief hasn't developed SOME emotional/romantic attachment to Cortana, and vice-versa, despite his probable de-sexualization at the hands of UNSC. To me, it's not hard to imagine a situation where Cortana has been made flesh, thanks to Forerunner magic. Certainly, that would get ME thinking about 'possibilities.'

Then to finally have that sort of a relationship, a normal life even - only to lose it all to the Flood again. That's a pretty descent piece of dramatic tragedy!

This all makes me think of Chief's line as they crash land on 04a. 'We'll head for the portal, and we'll all go home.' I always thought that was a weird line for him to say, and perhaps it's because he sees the end of the journey and looks forward to a 'normal life.'

I realize I'm pre-supposing a lot of things about the Chief, things that might not be there, but I don't think it's that far fetched to think Cortana and the Chief ARE the Librarian and Didact. After all, regarding Ascendant Justice's write-up of the Terminals Bungie themselves said that was about as close to Canon as anyone could get. Perhaps THIS is that final distance?

Message Index

Replies:

My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Neloms 7/30/08 10:01 p.m.
     Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Avateur 7/31/08 4:02 a.m.
           Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*GatchamanUK 7/31/08 4:24 a.m.
                 Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Narcogen 7/31/08 4:29 a.m.
                       Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*GatchamanUK 7/31/08 4:43 a.m.
                             Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Narcogen 7/31/08 5:57 a.m.
                                   Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*GatchamanUK 7/31/08 7:40 a.m.
                                         Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Ross Mills 7/31/08 7:54 a.m.
                                               Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*UNSC_Trooper 7/31/08 8:05 a.m.
                                                     Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Ross Mills 7/31/08 8:20 a.m.
                                                           Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Avateur 7/31/08 2:25 p.m.
                                   What the hell's a gigawatt!!?!? *NM*Schedonnardus 7/31/08 10:12 a.m.
                                         You need 1.21 of them! *NM*SonofMacPhisto 7/31/08 1:43 p.m.
                                               I love how he calls them "Jiggawatts!" =) *NM*mendicantbias00 7/31/08 2:02 p.m.
                                                     Funny you say that...xMixMasterx 7/31/08 2:19 p.m.
                                                           Technically he is right...mendicantbias00 7/31/08 2:37 p.m.
                                                           Re: Funny you say that...Louis Wu 7/31/08 2:39 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Funny you say that...gunluva 7/31/08 3:38 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Funny you say that...xMixMasterX 9/23/08 5:52 p.m.
                                   Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Miguel Chavez 7/31/08 11:48 a.m.
                                   Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*elessar787 7/31/08 1:38 p.m.
                                         Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Speedhuntr 7/31/08 3:40 p.m.
                                         Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Narcogen 8/1/08 12:28 a.m.
                                               Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 8/1/08 10:32 a.m.
                                                     Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Blackstar 8/2/08 7:50 p.m.
           I hate to admit it...Narcogen 7/31/08 4:26 a.m.
                 Re: I hate to admit it...Avateur 7/31/08 6:30 a.m.
                       Re: I hate to admit it...SonofMacPhisto 7/31/08 2:31 p.m.
                             Re: I hate to admit it...Narcogen 8/1/08 12:20 a.m.
                                   Re: I hate to admit it...SonofMacPhisto 8/1/08 1:00 a.m.
                 Re: I hate to admit it... *long*SonofMacPhisto 7/31/08 2:09 p.m.
                       Re: I hate to admit it... *long*Kiloh Ekim 7/31/08 5:09 p.m.
     Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*xMixMasterx 7/31/08 7:04 a.m.
     Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Buttskunk 7/31/08 9:02 a.m.
     Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*General Vagueness 7/31/08 9:31 a.m.
     I would love this....yakaman 7/31/08 11:24 a.m.
     ummm, maybe im wrong but...ActiveCamoElite 7/31/08 9:54 p.m.
           Re: ummm, maybe im wrong but...SonofMacPhisto 7/31/08 11:13 p.m.
           Re: ummm, maybe im wrong but...Neloms 7/31/08 11:30 p.m.
                 Re: ummm, maybe im wrong but...SonofMacPhisto 8/1/08 12:12 a.m.
                       Re: ummm, maybe im wrong but...Neloms 8/1/08 8:53 a.m.
                             Re: ummm, maybe im wrong but...scarab 8/1/08 2:34 p.m.
                 While we're on GS quotesxMixMasterx 8/1/08 7:24 a.m.
                       Re: While we're on GS quotesCrackshot53 8/1/08 9:29 p.m.
                             Re: While we're on GS quotesThaMahstah 9/18/08 2:56 p.m.
                                   Re: While we're on GS quotesThaMahstah 9/18/08 3:00 p.m.
                                         Re: While we're on GS quotesUrsusArctos 9/19/08 6:23 a.m.
                                   Re: While we're on GS quotespete_the_duck 9/18/08 3:15 p.m.
                 Re: ummm, maybe im wrong but...Rox 9/6/08 10:34 a.m.
     Great Theory, a couple of thoughts thoughonebitrocket 8/1/08 6:49 a.m.
     Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Desmond X 9/5/08 3:56 p.m.
           Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long* *NM*scarab 9/5/08 6:27 p.m.
           Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*Jillybean 9/6/08 6:11 a.m.
           Cortana went back there, huh?UrsusArctos 9/18/08 7:46 a.m.
                 Re: Cortana went back there, huh?Brian Wahl 9/18/08 8:12 a.m.
                       Re: Cortana went back there, huh?Jillybean 9/18/08 1:29 p.m.
                             Re: Cortana went back there, huh?Brian Wahl 9/18/08 2:01 p.m.
                                   Re: Cortana went back there, huh?Jillybean 9/18/08 2:25 p.m.
                                         Re: Cortana went back there, huh?Urk 9/18/08 2:32 p.m.
                                         Re: Cortana went back there, huh?ThaMahstah 9/18/08 2:34 p.m.
                                         True. Very true. *NM*UrsusArctos 9/19/08 6:17 a.m.
                                         Re: Cortana went back there, huh?SonofMacPhisto 9/19/08 4:38 p.m.
                       Re: Cortana went back there, huh?UrsusArctos 9/19/08 6:15 a.m.
                             Re: Cortana went back there, huh?P1TVIPER 9/20/08 10:10 a.m.
                                   Mitochondrial Eve = Librarian? *NM*Jillybean 9/20/08 10:39 a.m.
                                         Nah *SP*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 9/20/08 11:05 a.m.
                                               Re: Nah *SP*Jillybean 9/20/08 11:34 a.m.
                                                     Re: Nah *SP*UrsusArctos 9/20/08 9:46 p.m.
                                         Re: Mitochondrial pillars of hercukes ;) *NM*vshields ash 9/21/08 1:28 p.m.
     Hopefully helping with the understanding:Ragnarok 9/23/08 3:57 p.m.
           Opinion *Long*Relative Assessment 9/26/08 10:50 p.m.
     Re: My Theory on the Legendary Ending *kinda long*jdpowers19 10/13/08 12:48 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.