Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LO
Posted By: CANTANATRIX <andrewmclaren@hotmail.com>Date: 1/11/07 12:21 p.m.

In Response To: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LONG (Cody Miller)

: I just found DanteThePoet's critique of gender usage in Halo 2 , and thought
: that is was actually a pretty fascinating topic. I was suprised that the
: thread wasn't longer. Seeing as how he wanted feedback, I thought I'd
: chime in with my own thoughts. Dante seemed to give the game a glowing
: review when it came to gender equality and stereotypes. I'm going to throw
: out my thoughts about the three females he analyzes (Cortana, Miranda, and
: the female marines.)

: At first it would seem that women are given equal status in the Halo
: universe. With Halo 2 in particular, we fight along side female marines,
: and no particular fuss is made. These marines are not sexualized; in fact
: they closely resemble their male counterparts. However, it is quite ironic
: that in order to gain equality, women must take on traditionally masculine
: roles. The female marines do not seem to have much femininity left, as
: many such feminine traits are obscured by their costumes, and military
: behavior. The very idea of a soldier and a fighter is traditionally
: masculine, and so while these women gain equality, they do it at the
: expense of their feminine identity. The marines still equate femininity
: with weakness ("Did you forget your purse?" and other remarks),
: reenforcing the notion that femininity is undesirable.

: Bungie does do something very smart with the female marines when the player
: (through the male gaze) looks at them for long periods of time. They give
: the player comments, such as "The last guy that looked at me like
: that? I kicked him right in the nuts" and "Eyes downrange, not
: down shirt". With these comments, the male gaze becomes apparent and
: attention is drawn to it. While the game is still designed around the male
: gaze, at least attention is called to it, similar in its satire to a
: bikini clad woman explaining that her sexuality is being exploited. In
: this situation however, the player himself is being indicted, which is why
: it is effective.

: Cortana's change in image is quite simply to make her more attractive. While
: the female marines lose their femininity, Cortana become more feminine,
: purely for the purpose of being more attractive visually. It is very
: difficult to design games (or any other visual art for that matter) in
: which a feminine figure is not subjected to the male gaze, due to the
: male's propensity to fetishize the female form. In this sense, it's tough
: to create a character whose femininity is not exploited for male visual
: pleasure. This is why when trying to avoid this, most female characters
: are either very masculine, or mostly de-sexualized. This is something
: inherent in all visual media, and is no way solely limited to Halo 2.

: Miranda Keyes is somewhere in between the female marines and Cortana. She
: retains a feminine image physically, with her long hair and visible
: breasts, but it is not flaunted for our pleasure in quite the same way as
: Cortana. Her uniform is gender neutral, according to The Art of Halo. She
: carries respect, is resourceful, decisive, intelligent, and embodies
: femininity, but does not use it to titillate.

: Unfortunately, Miranda Keyes becomes the typical damsel in distress by Halo
: 2's end, being captured and dominated by Tartarus. The index is decidedly
: phallic, and her refusal to put it into the slot on the control panel
: despite being forced to do so by Tartarus can be seen as a rape motif. It
: very well could have been her that escapes and drives the scarab, but
: instead it is Johnson (whose name is slang for penis, again implying male
: superiority). She ends up in a situation that is similar to a woman in a
: patriarchal society: helpless and under the control of men.

: This is not to say that Halo 2 completely misogynistic; in fact a lot about
: Miranda Keyes implies quite the opposite. I think Bungie should be mostly
: commended for their treatment of women in a hyper-masculine shooter. I
: just have one question: why'd you have to sex up Cortana?

A very interesting read and some good points. However I will now defend Cortana and her portrayal in Halo.

(Look out folks this could be long!) :D

In the first game we see her effectively inserted into the Master Chief's head. From here she acts as the Chief's guide, protector and frankly better judgement.
Take this exchange from Halo:

" [at the Control Room control panel]
The Master Chief: So, what kind of weapon is it?
Cortana: What are you talking about?
The Master Chief: Let's stay focused, now. Halo. How do we use it against the Covenant?
Cortana: This ring isn't a cudgel, you barbarian, it's something else. Something much more important. Gimme a second to access... Yes, this ring, it's forerunner. The forerunner built this ring, what they call a fortress world. Wait. No, that can't be... Oh, those Covenant fools! There must have been signs!
The Master Chief: Hold on now, you're losin' me.
Cortana: The Covenant found something, buried in this ring, something horrible, and now, they're scared.
The Master Chief: Something buried? Wha...
Cortana: The Captain! WE'VE GOT TO STOP THE CAPTAIN!
The Master Chief: Keyes?
Cortana: The weapons cache he's looking for it's not really, it doesn't really exist!
The Master Chief: [tired and confused] I don't understa...
Cortana: There's no time! Get out, find Keyes, and stop him!
[the Master Chief runs out of the room]
Cortana: BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! "

The Master Chief, perhaps the most alpha-male (with tough competition from Johnson) figure in Halo is a relatively unsophisticated soul, created from the outset as a tool for war. He is, as a Spartan II, to quote from a discussion between Cortana and an ONI AI.I found in the Halo 2 L.C.D pamphlet: "effectively brainwashed", "Spartan IIs are equipment". We can see this in his lines in the above passage. His immediate line of questioning to Cortana about HALO is solely concerned about its offensive capability and how it can be used as a weapon against the Covenant. When the response to this is instead about the origins of the ring and what lies burried within it, the Chief's responses immediately become half-hearted and confused.

To this uber-male blunt instrument is added Cortana, who is similar in that she also is effectively a artificial tool created for war, though she is endowed also with several properties that set her apart from her male counterpart. Whilst certainly adept at war, demonstrated by her handling of the Pillar of Autumn in battle " A dozen superior Covenant battleships against a single Halcyon class cruiser. With those odds I'm content with three... make that four kills", she is more a strategist and favours a thought-out plan over brute force.

She also has a much greater capacity for understanding an independant thought than the Master Chief which is evident throughout Halo and also in this passage. She chides the MC for his unsophisticated view of Halo as simply a weapon. She also has a very strong assertive persoanlity, and if you view Cortana and the MC's relationship, Cortana is definately the more assertive half.

Throughout the games the female Cortana gives you orders and imperitives and instructions-all of which the male MC and YOU the (generally intended) male player follow pretty much without question. The Master Chief in the passage here (and also YOU the player) have no real idea of what Cortana is going on about when she insists you go find the good Captain yet the Chief (and YOU) nonetheless run off into the great unknown without really knowing what you are doing at her insistance.

Now Cortana isn't some dominatrix-figure, and you aren't her slave. No, the actual reason for why you as the Chief so blithely follow Cortana is not so crude. It's TRUST. Trust and RESPECT.

The Chief, and you by proxy the player (even though the player technically has little chocie in the matter as this is a story being told via fps not an open-ended rpg) trusts that Cortana, with her access to vast wealths of information and highly cognative judgement knows better, and knows what shes doing-even if YOU don't.

Although Cortana is the more assertive of the pair, the relationship is more of a partnership than a completely one-sided affair. The Chief, although perhaps not as refined as his counterpart nontheless has his own influence and role which works in harmony with Coirtana's-it can be seen for example in the plan to destroy Halo-combining Cortana's planning and intellect with the Master Chief's penchant for blowing stuff up.

From this, respect is earned for Cortana as she proves a vital ally without whom the MC would be much weaker, and a relationship of trust is fostered. I think the MC and Cortana make a good role-model for gender equality.

As for her femininity and visual portrayal, I have this to say. Cortnan is a very feminine character. She is, despite her artificial origins very in touch with her emotions, showing concern, fear (for MC) anger (at the Covenant) humour (often with MC) and maybe love for example; but she also is capable of being level-headed, focused and shows devotion to duty.

Cortana is not a slave to her emotions and is far from the usual female figure you see in videogames where emotion is equated with weakness often resulting in the female character being demoted to a 'damsel-in-distress' or a slutty bimbo. Indeed, although in Halo 3 Cortanta does indeed appear to be in distress in the clutches of the gravemind, we must not forget that she intended to remain behind in high charity and indeed TOLD the MC to leave her, which following the trust that has been created between the characters he acquiesed to her wishes.

This links in with her physical portrayal, as the character of Cortana is one who thrives on information, be it factual, logical or sensual. She says "I enjoy a rich existence. I have access to the entire sum of human knowledge, I can choose to enjoy or override emotional responses and have a vast range of senses. I can see radio waves as clearly as the Spartans see light, and I can sample odors, tastes, textures...anything I choose."

She is a sensual character, and I would view her having the physical image of a beautiful woman as the character embracing her femininity, and as such asserting her feminine identity, important I think for a character who is otherwise just lines of code. How else would you have her assert her feminity?

You say she is 'sexed up'-I disagree.
I have previously mentioned how that in Halo the player is taught to trust and respect an assertive and authoritative female role model who shos very real human characteristics and is not some horrific caricature.

When she is giving the MC (you) instructions via audio sex is hardly an issue, so when we briefly see Cortana now and then as a holographic projection I hardly think the fact that she has breasts and a slim figure undermines the players response to the character. Her appearnce is part of her identity and character as created by Bungie and not simply an appealing face-lift to please male gamers.

Her femininity is part of her character, along with her high intellect, compassion, duty,sensuality,wisdom strength and assertiveness. If you take issue with feminine beauty in games per se then fair enough but I can't see how a character endowed with such positive traits being portrayed as being beautiful is negative from a gender equality point of view.

If anything it is positive as for once we have a strong capable but also very feminine character that everyone can assocaite with that isn't some blonde bimbo or damsel in distress. I think Bungie have done a great job with Cortana, and has developed rather than hindered male attitudes to women in games.

-I might also discuss the marines and other aspects later-but I think this is enough for now!

-Andy-

Message Index

Replies:

Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LONGCody Miller 1/10/07 9:32 p.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOJman 1/10/07 10:12 p.m.
           sOT: quote formattingLouis Wu 1/11/07 5:40 a.m.
           Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOJillybean 1/11/07 7:10 a.m.
                 Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOLouis Wu 1/11/07 8:03 a.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOLittlebigman 1/10/07 10:50 p.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOQsExile 1/10/07 10:55 p.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOscarab 1/11/07 12:08 a.m.
           Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOQsExile 1/11/07 12:26 a.m.
                 Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOscarab 1/11/07 7:11 a.m.
                       Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOhnc 1/11/07 4:00 p.m.
           OMG!MffnMn 1/11/07 7:15 p.m.
                 Re: OMG!QsExile 1/11/07 10:59 p.m.
           Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOSlimby 1/12/07 5:49 p.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOcypher 1/11/07 1:15 a.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOJillybean 1/11/07 2:54 a.m.
           Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOMrAlexZander 1/11/07 3:07 a.m.
                 Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOSniping Ajax 1/11/07 2:12 p.m.
           Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOLouis Wu 1/11/07 5:59 a.m.
                 Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOJillybean 1/11/07 7:07 a.m.
                       Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOSep7imus [subnova] 1/11/07 8:31 a.m.
                             Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOJillybean 1/11/07 10:19 a.m.
                             Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOSniping Ajax 1/11/07 2:04 p.m.
                       Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LODanteThePoet 1/11/07 12:11 p.m.
                             Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOWraith7n 1/11/07 12:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOSep7imus [subnova] 1/11/07 12:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LODangerousHippo 1/11/07 4:01 p.m.
                             Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOSep7imus [subnova] 1/11/07 12:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LODanteThePoet 1/11/07 12:38 p.m.
                                         Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOSep7imus [subnova] 1/11/07 12:50 p.m.
                                               Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LODanteThePoet 1/11/07 12:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOtarehart 1/11/07 3:55 p.m.
                             Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOCody Miller 1/11/07 12:21 p.m.
                                   Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOMullet Man 1/13/07 8:42 p.m.
                       Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOQuantum 1/11/07 6:32 p.m.
                       Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOMullet Man 1/13/07 8:33 p.m.
                             But how decreased?DanteThePoet 1/14/07 12:16 a.m.
           Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOBrian Graham 1/11/07 2:57 p.m.
                 Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LODanteThePoet 1/14/07 6:16 p.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOreprobate 1/11/07 3:13 a.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LORVideo 1/11/07 6:18 a.m.
           Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOWraith7n 1/11/07 8:43 a.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOSep7imus [subnova] 1/11/07 7:02 a.m.
           Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOscarab 1/11/07 7:29 a.m.
                 Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOJillybean 1/11/07 10:23 a.m.
                       Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOCody Miller 1/11/07 12:28 p.m.
     Femininity eh??N1NJ4 1/11/07 10:23 a.m.
           Re: Femininity eh??Jillybean 1/11/07 10:42 a.m.
                 Re: Femininity eh??Ross Mills [subnova] 1/11/07 11:19 a.m.
                 Re: Femininity eh??The More Deluded 1/11/07 12:09 p.m.
                 Re: Femininity eh??N1NJ4 1/11/07 12:32 p.m.
                       Re: Femininity eh??Jillybean 1/11/07 12:47 p.m.
                             Re: Femininity eh??Wraith7n 1/11/07 12:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Femininity eh??Jillybean 1/11/07 12:54 p.m.
                                         Re: Femininity eh??Wraith7n 1/11/07 12:57 p.m.
                                               Re: Femininity eh??Jillybean 1/11/07 12:59 p.m.
                                                     Re: Femininity eh??The More Deluded 1/11/07 1:07 p.m.
                                                           Re: Femininity eh??Wraith7n 1/11/07 1:12 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Femininity eh??raptor117 1/11/07 1:20 p.m.
                                                                       DAMN! a minute too late :) *NM*The More Deluded 1/11/07 1:22 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Femininity eh??The More Deluded 1/11/07 1:21 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Femininity eh??QsExile 1/12/07 12:48 a.m.
                 She Speaks No Lie...Mintz 1/11/07 5:10 p.m.
           Re: Femininity eh??hnc 1/11/07 4:40 p.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LO*THASF* A.K.A. The Halo And Sonic Fan 1/11/07 10:30 a.m.
     Why?Pinkuh 1/11/07 11:11 a.m.
           Re: Why?Sep7imus [subnova] 1/11/07 11:59 a.m.
           Re: Why?Omak2007 1/11/07 11:59 a.m.
           Re: Why?mercury 1/11/07 12:03 p.m.
                 Re: Why?Pinkuh 1/11/07 12:11 p.m.
                       Re: Why?Wraith7n 1/11/07 12:19 p.m.
                             LOL *NM*huskerblackshrt 1/11/07 8:21 p.m.
           Re: Why?yakaman 1/11/07 12:30 p.m.
                 Re: Why?raptor117 1/11/07 1:18 p.m.
                       Re: Why?hnc 1/11/07 4:25 p.m.
                             Re: Why?raptor117 1/11/07 6:36 p.m.
                                   Re: Why?hnc 1/12/07 10:44 a.m.
                                         Re: Why?raptor117 1/12/07 11:22 a.m.
           I personally had a conversation with Statan.DanteThePoet 1/11/07 12:48 p.m.
                 Re: I personally had a conversation with Statan.Melkor 1/11/07 4:56 p.m.
                       Re: I personally had a conversation with Statan.The More Deluded 1/11/07 5:57 p.m.
                             Re: I personally had a conversation with Statan.Wraith7n 1/11/07 7:20 p.m.
                                   Same person. *NM*DanteThePoet 1/12/07 1:44 a.m.
           Re: Why?Jillybean 1/11/07 12:50 p.m.
                 Re: Why?reprobate 1/11/07 4:46 p.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOWraith7n 1/11/07 12:06 p.m.
           Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOThe More Deluded 1/11/07 1:59 p.m.
                 Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOWraith7n 1/11/07 2:05 p.m.
     I don't really have any more to say except...DanteThePoet 1/11/07 12:16 p.m.
           Re: I don't really have any more to say except...Sep7imus [subnova] 1/11/07 12:29 p.m.
                 Re: I don't really have any more to say except...Schedonnardus 1/11/07 12:39 p.m.
                 Re: I don't really have any more to say except...DanteThePoet 1/11/07 12:45 p.m.
                       Re: I don't really have any more to say except...hnc 1/11/07 4:32 p.m.
           And further...DanteThePoet 1/11/07 12:35 p.m.
                 Re: And further...Endbringer 1/11/07 1:23 p.m.
           Re: I don't really have any more to say except...hnc 1/11/07 3:54 p.m.
           Re: I don't really have any more to say except...houseoftang 1/11/07 7:22 p.m.
           Re: I don't really have any more to say except...Cody Miller 1/12/07 1:38 p.m.
                 Re: I don't really have any more to say except...Brian Graham 1/12/07 3:12 p.m.
                 Re: I don't really have any more to say except...houseoftang 1/12/07 5:51 p.m.
                 Re: I don't really have any more to say except...Black Guard 1/13/07 5:32 a.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOCANTANATRIX 1/11/07 12:21 p.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOHellhawk 1/11/07 4:09 p.m.
     We may have overlooked one little plot issueRVideo 1/11/07 4:50 p.m.
           Re: We may have overlooked one little plot issueUrsusArctos 1/12/07 9:48 p.m.
     Gender in Halo Fan Fictionhouseoftang 1/11/07 6:37 p.m.
     Cortana: a Defence (R.E Gender)CANTANATRIX 1/11/07 8:09 p.m.
           Re: Cortana: a Defence (R.E Gender)Oo Sol oO 1/12/07 11:00 a.m.
     Re: Gender in Halo 2 (response to DanteThePoet) LOHipboyScott 1/12/07 4:00 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.