glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.
Posted By: Rams <Ramsxxxiv@3dactionplanet.com>Date: 5/17/04 8:45 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please. (Louis Wu)

: Let me be absolutely, 100% clear on this one point: When I posted the first
: news post about Enkidu, I'd gone to some lengths to help Steve make it
: look professional... but I had NO CLUE folks would think it came from
: Bungie. In fact, I was worried that folks would think it came from
: Wideload since we released it the night before Wideload went public, and
: Matt Soell (an integral part of the Cortana Letters project) was known to
: be working on Wideload. I even asked Miguel to quash that part of the
: story, because THAT I didn't think needed to be explored; I didn't want to
: get off on the wrong foot with a brand-new company made up of people I
: liked.

Very good. I see you felt it was important for people not to be mislead at the start. I just don't see why you changed your mind when it became apparent that it was happening.

: It never occurred to me that folks would think it was coming from Bungie.

Ok, I guess I can understand that. But you still saw the way people were taking about it and said nothing.

: Once that sort of speculation started, I simply sat back and watched, amused.
: No, I had no intention of ruining the fun by telling people they were on
: the wrong track - it was a mystery, for god's sake! The whole POINT of it
: was that folks were supposed to investigate and try to figure out what it
: was all about!

How was clearing up that it was indeed Fan Fiction ruining the fun or mystery unless both came from the fact that it could be real? I've read a few mystery books in my day and seen one or two on TV and at the movies. At no point did the fact that they were anything more then what they really were detract from my enjoyment.

: There is NOTHING in my initial post that hints that Bungie might have been
: behind this - because I had no idea people might believe this .

Well I think there was but if you say you had no clue I believe you. However as I said above and before you did see the way people were interpreting it and yet you didn't clear that up thereby aiding in the misconception.

: If your photoshop skills are good enough to get by the skeptics in the
: community, more power to you. Yes, it's true that if you said 'we found
: this on the internet' (or something similarly vague), and folks later
: determined it was fake, you'd either have to own up, or lose
: credibility... but that's EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED HERE; once the game was
: over, Steve owned up. Your need for instant gratification (is it real? Is
: the entire thing posted today?) is the only thing that's blinding you from
: seeing this.

Yes we would have to own up and we would be expected to apologize for the deceit not state that it isn't our fault the readers of our site are too stupid to figure out the truth.

And as I said before I did not read it therefore I wouldn't have gotten gratification from it either way.

: Read the responses in this thread, Rams. The OVERWHELMING majority of them
: are NOT complaining that their time was wasted - they're thanking Steve
: for a fun game.

Yes that is correct, most people don't feel that way. However is it wrong that SOME do? Does it make it what happened less wrong just because most people didn't mind? Is selling drugs less of a crime because the people buying them don't mind? NO.

: [a bunch of silly stuff deleted]

: You should ask Orson Welles these questions. ;)

Yes and what he did was way worse. People committed suicide because they thought what it was real. Hell if that happened in this day and age he would have been sued.

: I can't let this pass.

: So if someone misinterprets ambiguous data, they're being mislead? Do you
: know how to think for yourself? (Don't tell me that you didn't even read
: the terminals, you're just speaking for others here, because that's
: EXACTLY THE PROBLEM - folks need to THINK FOR THEMSELVES. You're telling
: me that the Halo community is so stupid they have to be spoonfed their
: information in small, easily-digestible chunks. Nice way to talk about the
: community you say you 'love'.)

No it's not simply that they misinterpreted it. You have to factor in the plausibility of it and the fact that you after seeing the reaction didn't attempt to clear it up. So yes people should think for themselves but you also have a responsibility as the site director not to mislead them.

People did fall for it Louis, I didn't make that up. Latter on here you admit people fell for your April fools joke. I'm not saying anything untrue here am I so don't try to make it out like I'm the bad guy. I am not the one who said "To the folks who are angry or annoyed that this didn't come from Bungie - you have nobody to blame but yourselves" in an attempt to blame the reader for something you shouldn't have let happen.

: Me - I think they're a pretty diverse group, and some of 'em really get into
: puzzle-solving. So occasionally we give 'em puzzles to solve. This isn't
: the first (we did the Glyph puzzle a couple of years ago, and the Great
: Halo Scavenger Hunt had some puzzle aspects to it), and it won't be the
: last. To many of us, this is the sort of thing Bungie inspires us to play
: with. I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.

I have no problem with the puzzle solving but why must people believe that it's from Bungie? I don't see why that was such a key element that you couldn't clear that up. To even imply that Steve's work couldn't hold water without the possibility that it was from Bungie is an insult to him. So yes please continue to do things like the Scavenger Hunt and Enkidu just don't make people think it's something it's not.

: Nice - because YOU didn't believe it, it wasn't plausible. I've got hundreds
: of emails from folks who would disagree with you.

It wasn't as plausible a situation. However thank you for proving that Halo fans do fall for stuff and that you yourself knew this. I mean if they fall for a blatant April Fools joke wouldn't you think something like this would certainly trick them?

: I wonder... is all your ranting (and you say you're just debating here, but
: you wrote a friggin' rant for you blog, there's no other word for it)
: simply because you got fooled? Are you annoyed that you were taken in and
: 'wasted your time' posting news to your site about what turned out to be
: just a fan fiction?

: Hmm...

The Blog post could be taken as a rant although here I am simply replying.

My experience with Enkidu went as follows-

A member of my mod team emailed me to ask if I still had news access because there was a new Enkidu up. I said yes and posted it not knowing a thing about it. Later I saw another one was up so I informed people of that too even stating that I had little clue what it was. My next encounter was during the busy first day of E3 in which I was posting news well into the early hours. Like you I joke occasionally in my news posts which is what I was doing in regards to Enkidu.

It was only later that I found out that many people thought it was real (I just assumed prior to that people knew what it was). Had I read it I would have had a chance to be fooled or figure it out but I did not so no I wasn't personally fooled by it.

Then I started looking into it. The way it was presented and the people reaction to it and thought to myself this seems wrong. To me this is presenting information under a false misconception.

Halo fans are looking for any Halo 2 info they can get their hands on. So as with the image analogy I don't think this is something HBO or BGH should be doing right now. As you pointed out you didn't think of that prior but when it did come to light that people where taken it that way you should have said something. You should have informed them that this was infact NOT Halo 2 story line info from Bungie but rather a creative piece of Fan fiction.

: I know you can't be bothered to read the terminals, Rams, but you should
: direct whoever you're speaking for here to read Steve's afterward. He DOES
: apologize to those who feel betrayed.

It's not that I can't be bothered it is that I don't enjoy reading fan fiction, It's nothing against anyone we all have things we like to do and things we don't. If reading it would have effected my stance I would have but I don't feel that it would.

Great. I read his second to last terminal (since the last one wasn't up yet) prior to writing my first Blog post and didn't see him apologize. I am very glad he has apologized for it. I just wish you would or at the very least admit that you could have handled this a little better.

Message Index

Replies:

Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 10:59 a.m.
     Re: kudos.Sep7imus [subnova] 5/16/04 11:06 a.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Uriel 5/16/04 11:06 a.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Stuntmutt 5/16/04 11:08 a.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 12:21 p.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.monctezuma 5/16/04 4:26 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Ryan G 5/16/04 11:08 a.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Jagged 5/16/04 7:26 p.m.
     Kudos, then.Jota Rota 5/16/04 11:09 a.m.
           Re: Kudos, then.Walshicus 5/16/04 11:23 a.m.
                 Re: Kudos, then.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 11:38 a.m.
                       Re: Kudos, then.Walshicus 5/16/04 11:41 a.m.
     Re: Frog blast the vent core!Sep7imus [subnova] 5/16/04 11:09 a.m.
     Gah!Blitzwolf 5/16/04 11:11 a.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Stuntmutt 5/16/04 11:14 a.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Tycho/Howard 5/16/04 11:19 a.m.
     You byfar are one of the best writers I have everLittlebigman 5/16/04 11:23 a.m.
           Re: You byfar are one of the best writers I have eAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 12:28 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Warlock 5/16/04 11:26 a.m.
     ThanksScipio 5/16/04 11:32 a.m.
           Re: ThanksAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 11:43 a.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Mogwong 5/16/04 11:39 a.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Colopatiron 5/16/04 11:47 a.m.
                 Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Mogwong 5/16/04 11:49 a.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 11:53 a.m.
                 Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Colopatiron 5/16/04 11:59 a.m.
     Giant kudos and heartfelt thanks!JKatkina 5/16/04 11:47 a.m.
           Re: Giant kudos and heartfelt thanks!Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 12:03 p.m.
                 Re: Giant kudos and heartfelt thanks!JKatkina 5/16/04 12:12 p.m.
     Well done.Wintermute @ work 5/16/04 12:18 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Jota Rota 5/16/04 12:20 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Milamber 5/16/04 12:35 p.m.
     Felt Like I Finished A Good Book =) *NM*Fuzzy 5/16/04 12:57 p.m.
           Re: Felt Like I Finished A Good Book =)Smeeisqualityfootrot 5/16/04 7:49 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Mark Simmons 5/16/04 1:05 p.m.
     Great job, man, seriously.Mr. Mechanical 5/16/04 1:25 p.m.
           Re: Great job, man, seriously.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 1:29 p.m.
                 Re: Great job, man, seriously.Colopatiron 5/16/04 1:50 p.m.
                       Re: Great job, man, seriously.Mr. Mechanical 5/16/04 2:00 p.m.
                             Re: Great job, man, seriously.Mr. Mechanical 5/17/04 3:54 a.m.
     Flame Time!Exogenesis 5/16/04 2:47 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.AeroJonesy 5/16/04 3:27 p.m.
     ... I guess I have to read it, sometime...BOLL 5/16/04 3:42 p.m.
           Re: ... I guess I have to read it, sometime...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 4:01 p.m.
                 Re: ... I guess I have to read it, sometime...Wado SG 5/16/04 7:08 p.m.
     Kudos is not the right word.Cerami 5/16/04 3:52 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.whoaho! 5/16/04 4:12 p.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 4:19 p.m.
     So much fun I don't know where to start !!Alexander Valient 5/16/04 4:34 p.m.
     Nice workCiarán 5/16/04 5:02 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Wado SG 5/16/04 6:06 p.m.
     C&CCelegur 5/16/04 6:10 p.m.
           Storyline in Games (was Re: C&C)Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 7:03 p.m.
                 Re: Storyline in Games (was Re: C&C)Anonymous Coward 01 5/16/04 7:49 p.m.
                       Re: Storyline in Games (was Re: C&C)Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 8:10 p.m.
                 Re: Storyline in Games (was Re: C&C)Celegur 5/16/04 8:32 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Gre'Thor117 5/16/04 6:32 p.m.
     Incredible work! Nice job :) *NM*MikeMan445 5/16/04 6:43 p.m.
     This is one darned big thread.Saint 5/16/04 7:11 p.m.
           Ack! Stuck in aweAkba 5/16/04 8:00 p.m.
     Hey, get the First Strike Mod Team on it! *NM*Anonymous Coward 01 5/16/04 8:03 p.m.
           Who cares? Just make it playable! *NM*Alexander Valient 5/16/04 9:07 p.m.
     *clap, clap, clap*MrFluffyPants 5/16/04 8:15 p.m.
     WowJamirus99 5/16/04 8:47 p.m.
     Very nice work. It was great! *NM*Arteen 5/16/04 9:14 p.m.
     Great work, but...BGH TankRamp 5/16/04 10:00 p.m.
           Re: Great work, but...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/16/04 10:15 p.m.
                 Re: Great work, but...Mogwong 5/16/04 10:26 p.m.
           Re: Great work, but...Wado SG 5/17/04 12:44 a.m.
     It's been fun.dizzy [subnova] 5/16/04 10:55 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Khaim 5/16/04 11:05 p.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/16/04 11:11 p.m.
                 Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.LostRock11 5/16/04 11:42 p.m.
                 Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.MC vince 5/17/04 12:04 a.m.
                       Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/17/04 1:03 a.m.
                             Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Tarrsk 5/17/04 1:42 a.m.
                             Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.MikeMan445 5/17/04 2:53 a.m.
                                   Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Tarrsk 5/17/04 3:27 a.m.
                                   Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/17/04 4:50 a.m.
                                         Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Tarrsk 5/17/04 5:31 a.m.
                                               Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/17/04 6:09 a.m.
                                                     My God.MikeMan445 5/17/04 6:19 a.m.
                                                           Re: My God.Rams 5/17/04 6:28 a.m.
                                                                 Re: My God.Andrew Nagy 5/21/04 2:22 p.m.
                                         Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.MikeMan445 5/17/04 5:58 a.m.
                                               Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/17/04 6:21 a.m.
                                                     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Louis Wu 5/17/04 11:46 a.m.
                                                           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/17/04 8:44 p.m.
                                                                 *tut*Colopatiron 5/17/04 8:58 p.m.
                                                           PredictionsNarcogen 5/20/04 6:33 a.m.
                                                                 Re: PredictionsLouis Wu 5/20/04 8:27 a.m.
                                                                       Re: PredictionsNarcogen 5/21/04 12:17 a.m.
                                                                 Re: PredictionsWintermute @ work 5/21/04 7:26 a.m.
                                               Enkidu FLAMES and kudosAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/17/04 6:31 a.m.
                                                     Re: Enkidu FLAMES and kudosMikeMan445 5/17/04 6:43 a.m.
                                                           Re: Enkidu FLAMES and kudosAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/17/04 7:00 a.m.
                             Even if you didn't look at the source code...qw0ntum 5/17/04 1:48 p.m.
     Well doneRed Loser 5/16/04 11:36 p.m.
     *clap**clap* Well done.343winks 5/16/04 11:54 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.SR Omniscient 5/17/04 12:30 a.m.
           Great jobFlamingbuddha 5/17/04 1:27 a.m.
     Just in case you missed it...the Ouroboros 5/17/04 1:29 a.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.daedalus 5/17/04 1:38 a.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/17/04 2:22 a.m.
                 Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Tarrsk 5/17/04 3:26 a.m.
                       Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/17/04 5:39 a.m.
                             Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Ciarán 5/17/04 7:21 a.m.
                                   Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/17/04 7:37 a.m.
                             Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Louis Wu 5/17/04 12:21 p.m.
                                   Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/17/04 8:45 p.m.
                                         *arches brow*the Ouroboros 5/18/04 2:05 a.m.
                                               Re: *arches brow*Target4Hire 5/18/04 12:44 p.m.
                                   Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Narcogen 5/20/04 6:47 a.m.
                                         Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Louis Wu 5/20/04 8:32 a.m.
                                               Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Narcogen 5/21/04 12:16 a.m.
                                                     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Louis Wu 5/21/04 8:28 a.m.
                                                           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/21/04 6:01 p.m.
                                               Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Andrew Nagy 5/21/04 2:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Louis Wu 5/21/04 2:22 p.m.
                                         What's wrong with people?Capo Rip 5/21/04 7:27 a.m.
                             Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Wado SG 5/17/04 1:00 p.m.
                                   Re: Enkidu and some HBO lovin'Target4Hire 5/17/04 4:06 p.m.
                                   Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/17/04 8:47 p.m.
                                         Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/17/04 8:48 p.m.
                                               Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Miguel Chavez 5/18/04 12:21 a.m.
                                                     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Rams 5/19/04 1:57 p.m.
                                                           flames & kudos: Explaining the negative feelingsXraf 5/20/04 11:05 a.m.
                                                                 Re: flames & kudos: Explaining the negative feelinthe Ouroboros 5/20/04 5:09 p.m.
                                                                       Re: flames & kudos: Explaining the negative feelinXraf 5/21/04 7:36 a.m.
                                                                             Re: flames & kudos: Explaining the negative feelinAndrew Nagy 5/21/04 2:07 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: flames & kudos: Explaining the negative feelinXraf 5/21/04 4:02 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: flames & kudos: Explaining the negative feelinLouis Wu 5/21/04 4:56 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: flames & kudos: Explaining the negative feelinAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/21/04 5:56 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: flames & kudos: Explaining the negative feelinWado SG 5/21/04 7:20 p.m.
                                   Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Druff 5/18/04 2:01 p.m.
                                         Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Tarrsk 5/18/04 3:28 p.m.
                                               Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Druff 5/18/04 4:05 p.m.
                                                     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Druff 5/18/04 4:09 p.m.
                                               Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Wado SG 5/18/04 4:12 p.m.
                                                     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Druff 5/18/04 4:16 p.m.
                                                           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Wado SG 5/18/04 4:29 p.m.
                                         Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/18/04 9:35 p.m.
                                               Enkidu is a bastard child, yet no less worthy *NM*the Ouroboros 5/18/04 11:29 p.m.
                                                     Hmph, no, YOUR Mom.Enkidu 5/19/04 12:18 a.m.
                                                           Re: Hmph, no, YOUR Mom.Tarrsk 5/19/04 1:07 a.m.
                                               Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Narcogen 5/20/04 6:51 a.m.
                                                     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/20/04 7:21 a.m.
                                                           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Narcogen 5/21/04 12:13 a.m.
                             Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Mogwong 5/18/04 2:51 p.m.
                 Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Mogwong 5/18/04 2:40 p.m.
     nice workSocrates 5/17/04 3:06 a.m.
     Two Thumbs UpX-Isle 5/17/04 8:40 a.m.
           Re: Two Thumbs UpAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/17/04 8:49 a.m.
                 Missed?Narcogen 5/20/04 6:53 a.m.
                       Re: Missed?Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/20/04 7:43 a.m.
                             Re: Missed?Narcogen 5/21/04 12:10 a.m.
                                   Re: Missed?Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/21/04 6:23 a.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.nof 5/17/04 12:07 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Slothboy 5/17/04 1:14 p.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/17/04 1:36 p.m.
                 Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Slothboy 5/17/04 1:55 p.m.
           Adoption into Canon?Narcogen 5/20/04 6:59 a.m.
                 Re: Adoption into Canon?Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/20/04 7:32 a.m.
                       Re: Adoption into Canon?Wado SG 5/20/04 8:12 p.m.
                             Re: Adoption into Canon?Anton P. Nym 5/20/04 9:33 p.m.
                       Canon RampancyNarcogen 5/21/04 12:00 a.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Target4Hire 5/17/04 2:34 p.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/18/04 10:54 p.m.
                 Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Target4Hire 5/20/04 11:21 a.m.
     Re: Enkidu rocked.ThorsHammer 5/17/04 3:16 p.m.
     Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.wavehawk 5/18/04 3:33 a.m.
           Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/18/04 6:04 a.m.
                 Re: Enkidu flames and kudos HERE, please.wavehawk 5/18/04 6:14 a.m.
     Steve...thought you might be amused by this...the Ouroboros 5/20/04 8:21 p.m.
           Re: Steve...thought you might be amused by this...Anton P. Nym 5/20/04 9:59 p.m.
     YOUR terminals are so much better than mine.LietLives 5/23/04 5:20 a.m.
           Re: YOUR terminals are so much better than mine.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 5/23/04 7:16 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.