Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansion
Posted By: Silent Knight <irish_bloke@hotmail.com>Date: 10/25/09 5:27 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansion (General Vagueness)

: I kind of have a problem with that, but I'm also a proponent of writing
: reflecting speech, and this is pretty much how I talk.

That's cool. You broke it up with punctuation, just zero full stops :P Still perfectly readable.

: I see what you're getting at. Maybe I can get more out of the character when
: I play. Maybe we all can as that comic run continues and finishes,
: although fleshing out a character in another medium is something some
: people have accused Bungie of using as a crutch.

That is a big crutch! I can understand how within a very short game, you might not have a fully realised character somewhere in the mix, but when you allow that to happen knowing that to understand the game fully your audience will have to investigate by buying more merchandise... I guess you'd end up with a group of hardcore fans who love story, and another group who would play anything with the same amount of explosions. It's interesting how they harness Generation A.D.D.

: What I meant was maybe someone else should respond to the "real
: writer" comment. I'd consider Joe Staten to be a real writer, and
: IIRC the other people who did real work on the story have some non-shabby
: credentials.

From what I've seen of the behind-the-scenes work in the past, I figure Staten started off as more of a Director/Producer figure, but then started dabbling in writing.

I was playing last night, and the Prepare to Drop cutscene annoyed me again. Oddly enough, Mickey, Dutch and Romeo didn't bother me. But Dare putting her foot down reminded me of a child. She says the word "Orders" three times in the space of two seconds. For a high-ranking ONI officer, her vocabulary suffered...

And the Kizingo Blvd line that hurts every time I hear it is: "Don't worry, this ODST we've got - he's an artist with high explosives." I was thinking about this, and the problem is that the Commander has not directly witnessed Mickey's work. Nor was Mickey's work extra special (I mean, give me a tank and see how many kills I rack up...) I would have preferred the line to go "This ODST we've got - he's some kinda artist with high explosives." OR "This ODST we've got - from the reports coming in, it sounds like he's an artist with high explosives." (In a shocked or disbelieving tone)

I know they were using the line to show that Mickey is the Demo man, but call me old fashioned, but I'd normally like to know that before I am the character. I could dig a more informative exchange between him and the Marine at the start "I got separated - have you seen any ODSTs around?" "I haven't heard. What's your specialty?" "Explosives..." "Perfect. I've got a present waiting across the plaza."

And do they ever mention the name Helljumpers in the game? I'm getting sick of hearing Trooper....

Message Index

Replies:

Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/22/09 9:21 a.m.
     Re: Brutes in ODSTVociferous 10/22/09 10:25 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTRyanTheHeretic 10/22/09 10:46 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/22/09 10:50 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTAvateur 10/22/09 3:06 p.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTSonofMacPhisto 10/22/09 3:23 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/23/09 1:32 a.m.
                             Re: Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/23/09 1:45 a.m.
                             Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 10:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Brutes in ODSTStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/23/09 10:49 a.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTmendicantbias00 10/23/09 11:44 a.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTGeneral Vagueness 10/22/09 4:03 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTAvateur 10/22/09 9:46 p.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTInnerRayg 10/22/09 10:32 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTRagashingo 10/22/09 10:36 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 12:10 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/22/09 10:27 p.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTscarab 10/22/09 11:00 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTRagashingo 10/22/09 11:43 p.m.
                             Re: Brutes in ODSTHikaru-119 10/22/09 11:47 p.m.
                                   Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 12:01 a.m.
                                         Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 12:21 a.m.
                                               Re: Brutes in ODSTrepivemag 10/23/09 12:52 a.m.
                                                     Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 1:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 3:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 10:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Brutes in ODSTStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/23/09 10:53 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Brutes in ODSTVincent 10/23/09 11:04 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 12:53 p.m.
                                                                             Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansion.Silent Knight 10/23/09 6:06 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/23/09 8:25 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/23/09 9:06 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/23/09 11:41 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionHedgemony 10/23/09 11:59 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansionserpx 10/25/09 4:35 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansionchris101b 10/24/09 1:02 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 2:26 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification and spoilers.Hedgemony 10/24/09 4:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification and spoilers.Silent Knight 10/24/09 6:31 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 11:14 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSonofMacPhisto 10/24/09 3:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 7:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSonofMacPhisto 10/24/09 10:44 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 3:27 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSonofMacPhisto 10/26/09 4:29 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionBry 10/24/09 10:01 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 7:20 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 8:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 3:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/25/09 11:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 5:27 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 11:20 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 7:15 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 8:27 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansionreprobate 10/25/09 2:48 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 3:44 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionHedgemony 10/25/09 8:22 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 5:36 p.m.
                                                           Re: Brutes in ODSTiMonkey777 10/26/09 3:11 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Brutes in ODSTFyreWulff 10/26/09 3:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Brutes in ODSTAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 10/26/09 3:50 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/26/09 4:45 p.m.
                             DOH!scarab 10/23/09 7:51 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.