Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansion
Posted By: Silent Knight <irish_bloke@hotmail.com>Date: 10/24/09 2:26 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansion (chris101b)

: I think that if Bungie had been given more time, they could have made the
: game even better. This is the first game that they have made while being
: independent from Microsoft and it really does show. They were able to get
: away from the gameplay mechanics that had started whittling down the
: "Halo experience" that we all used to know and love. I love the
: fact that they kept some of the mechanics from Halo 3, but changed the way
: they were implemented; equipment being a good example here. Overall, the
: gameplay was fun, the story was great, and for a game that had to be made
: in a year, it was a damn fine one.

I agree that it's a great game that really got back to the old Halo Combat Evolved mechanics. It felt more grounded than the last two games - space operas are a little too ambitious. There's a point where you stop thinking "Wow, that view is insane!" and start wondering "Am I still on the same planet as the last cutscene?" The thing that grates is that people have used the "If Bungie had more time..." excuse before, for Halo 2. This was blamed on Microsoft pushing the release. If Bungie are still running out of time as an independant...

And Hedge, I'm not sure if there is a perfect way to tell a story in an interactive medium. If you script the Hell outta the encounters, then you get bored after two playthroughs. If you use cutscenes to tell the entirety of the story, then you're watching a movie and lose the player's motivation. Sandbox games have the flaw of everyone missing at least one portion of the story.

The Fable games were fun, but entirely scripted with almost no freedom of decision/consequence. Fallout 3 was amazing, but the story components sometimes felt bland because of the lack of scripting. I'd like some monsters to actually tear down a wall to surprise me, rather than walking through a door.

Both of the above I enjoyed. Fallout, I still hold dear as an almost perfect sandbox game.

ODST had excellent story-telling. The opening cutscene being interactive - fantastic. The HUB world with beacons lying around, also new and interesting. But when it came down to it, the dialogue was supremely hit and miss.

Dare never gave any indication of being in control of anything in the game. If I were ONI, then I imagine I'd immediately assume command of the elite soldiers and tolerate zero insubordination... Crap I'm talking about dialogue again.

I think the best way to tell a story in a game would be to use cutscenes to establish where you are, who you are and what your objective is. Then, the player takes over and achieves said objective any way they please. As they are completing said objective, new complications arise that are not directly relevant to the current mission. Then, use a cutscene to transition to new area and establish parameters. So on.

I'm not going to pull out Halo examples of this, because I assume that my mind is painting Combat Evolved in a golden light and attempting to stab Halo 2 in the back.

Story is challenging.

Message Index

Replies:

Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/22/09 9:21 a.m.
     Re: Brutes in ODSTVociferous 10/22/09 10:25 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTRyanTheHeretic 10/22/09 10:46 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/22/09 10:50 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTAvateur 10/22/09 3:06 p.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTSonofMacPhisto 10/22/09 3:23 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/23/09 1:32 a.m.
                             Re: Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/23/09 1:45 a.m.
                             Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 10:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Brutes in ODSTStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/23/09 10:49 a.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTmendicantbias00 10/23/09 11:44 a.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTGeneral Vagueness 10/22/09 4:03 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTAvateur 10/22/09 9:46 p.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTInnerRayg 10/22/09 10:32 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTRagashingo 10/22/09 10:36 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 12:10 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/22/09 10:27 p.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTscarab 10/22/09 11:00 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTRagashingo 10/22/09 11:43 p.m.
                             Re: Brutes in ODSTHikaru-119 10/22/09 11:47 p.m.
                                   Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 12:01 a.m.
                                         Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 12:21 a.m.
                                               Re: Brutes in ODSTrepivemag 10/23/09 12:52 a.m.
                                                     Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 1:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 3:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 10:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Brutes in ODSTStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/23/09 10:53 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Brutes in ODSTVincent 10/23/09 11:04 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 12:53 p.m.
                                                                             Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansion.Silent Knight 10/23/09 6:06 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/23/09 8:25 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/23/09 9:06 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/23/09 11:41 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionHedgemony 10/23/09 11:59 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansionserpx 10/25/09 4:35 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansionchris101b 10/24/09 1:02 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 2:26 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification and spoilers.Hedgemony 10/24/09 4:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification and spoilers.Silent Knight 10/24/09 6:31 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 11:14 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSonofMacPhisto 10/24/09 3:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 7:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSonofMacPhisto 10/24/09 10:44 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 3:27 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSonofMacPhisto 10/26/09 4:29 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionBry 10/24/09 10:01 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 7:20 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 8:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 3:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/25/09 11:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 5:27 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 11:20 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 7:15 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 8:27 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansionreprobate 10/25/09 2:48 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 3:44 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionHedgemony 10/25/09 8:22 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 5:36 p.m.
                                                           Re: Brutes in ODSTiMonkey777 10/26/09 3:11 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Brutes in ODSTFyreWulff 10/26/09 3:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Brutes in ODSTAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 10/26/09 3:50 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/26/09 4:45 p.m.
                             DOH!scarab 10/23/09 7:51 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.