Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Clarification and spoilers.
Posted By: Silent Knight <irish_bloke@hotmail.com>Date: 10/24/09 6:31 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Clarification and spoilers. (Hedgemony)

: I think a large part of story in games is told visually. Character reactions
: to simple things like explosions or hearing NPC's react to what's around
: them. It's difficult to take some of Halo:Ce's animations seriously now,
: but the Jenkins video was absolutely great. Hit the nail on the head in
: terms of telling you what had happened and what was to come. Brilliant and
: Bungie haven't topped that feeling for me yet. Visually, they could give
: so much more in terms of directing attention. ODST took great strides in
: heading in this direction. Major applause for breaking out and
: experimenting. I would like to see way more though. They have the audience
: so they can afford to do it now.

: Instead of every character telling jokes, allow them to add an element of
: what they see, feel and fear in a situation. Leave the humor to inevitable
: Johnson cameos, that's what he's there for. Add more of a serious tone to
: fit the situation. Buck's horror and fear of Earth being glassed like
: Reach was brilliant. His love story stuff...not so much. Why does he have
: time to talk about being dumped by Dare when Earth is getting glassed?
: Silly really. Fun, but silly.

: I could go on for days about story in games...although Adam Sessler thinks
: that the player should tell the story by what they do in a game. That way,
: there is less scripted story and only player imagination. He based the
: concept on preconditioning by previous games played. So now we know how to
: move and shoot etc...and all games control in the same way so we just want
: to explore. Story becomes about our journeys through a game world.

: -Hedge.

Everything before that last paragraph: I heartily agree. The Jenkins Video is the epitomy of Halo story-telling. The excessive flat humour in ODST really grated. Buck's comment about the Covenant glassing Earth was the one high point for the game's script for me.

Every NPC seemed in high spirits and were joking around like they were playing a video game. Mickey and Dutch's comments on the Kikowani Station mission (while some were actually kinda funny) seemed out of place when you consider their wounded friend two feet away.

Buck and Dare made zero sense. There was no motivation behind the last few cutscenes. Sure, she dumped him and he's really raw about it, but that was years ago, and they're both leaders in a really tough situation (Even if you can't tell 'cause of all the joking) They would put aside their differences and work together. It made it seem as though one of them was captured by the Covenant for three years and they were finally reunited. Whoever it was that decided to put a love story in there just made the list.

The Adam Sessler reference... I have no idea who that is. I'm sure I could wiki him, but his identity is moot. The point made about having an environment and using your imagination kinda moves sideways from the point of video games - I could run around with a Nerf gun and have the time of my life, but when I'd like to kill aliens I hook up the Box. There has to be some structure and a story for me to really dig it.

My idea of a perfect game is somewhere along those lines, though. I loved the limitless possibilities inherent to Halo Combat Evolved's physics system. Just being able to Warthog Joust on Blood Gulch was rediculously fun. I don't know where I stand on the topic of open-ended games. I really work more in the Campaign mode of a game. The multiplayer mode would probably benefit from the greater possibility for goofiness.

That made very little sense to me, too. I'm pretty sure I was agreeing with you. I'm going to sleep now.

Message Index

Replies:

Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/22/09 9:21 a.m.
     Re: Brutes in ODSTVociferous 10/22/09 10:25 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTRyanTheHeretic 10/22/09 10:46 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/22/09 10:50 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTAvateur 10/22/09 3:06 p.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTSonofMacPhisto 10/22/09 3:23 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/23/09 1:32 a.m.
                             Re: Brutes in ODSTArchilen 10/23/09 1:45 a.m.
                             Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 10:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Brutes in ODSTStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/23/09 10:49 a.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTmendicantbias00 10/23/09 11:44 a.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTGeneral Vagueness 10/22/09 4:03 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTAvateur 10/22/09 9:46 p.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTInnerRayg 10/22/09 10:32 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTRagashingo 10/22/09 10:36 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 12:10 a.m.
           Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/22/09 10:27 p.m.
                 Re: Brutes in ODSTscarab 10/22/09 11:00 p.m.
                       Re: Brutes in ODSTRagashingo 10/22/09 11:43 p.m.
                             Re: Brutes in ODSTHikaru-119 10/22/09 11:47 p.m.
                                   Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 12:01 a.m.
                                         Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 12:21 a.m.
                                               Re: Brutes in ODSTrepivemag 10/23/09 12:52 a.m.
                                                     Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 1:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 3:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/23/09 10:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Brutes in ODSTStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/23/09 10:53 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Brutes in ODSTVincent 10/23/09 11:04 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Brutes in ODSTchris101b 10/23/09 12:53 p.m.
                                                                             Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansion.Silent Knight 10/23/09 6:06 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/23/09 8:25 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/23/09 9:06 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/23/09 11:41 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionHedgemony 10/23/09 11:59 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansionserpx 10/25/09 4:35 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansionchris101b 10/24/09 1:02 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 2:26 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification and spoilers.Hedgemony 10/24/09 4:56 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification and spoilers.Silent Knight 10/24/09 6:31 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 11:14 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSonofMacPhisto 10/24/09 3:53 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 7:02 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSonofMacPhisto 10/24/09 10:44 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 3:27 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSonofMacPhisto 10/26/09 4:29 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionBry 10/24/09 10:01 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 7:20 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 8:48 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 3:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/25/09 11:15 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 5:27 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 11:20 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/24/09 7:15 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionGeneral Vagueness 10/24/09 8:27 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. Expansionreprobate 10/25/09 2:48 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 3:44 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionHedgemony 10/25/09 8:22 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Clarification. Slight Extrapolation. ExpansionSilent Knight 10/25/09 5:36 p.m.
                                                           Re: Brutes in ODSTiMonkey777 10/26/09 3:11 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Brutes in ODSTFyreWulff 10/26/09 3:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Brutes in ODSTAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 10/26/09 3:50 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Brutes in ODSTSilent Knight 10/26/09 4:45 p.m.
                             DOH!scarab 10/23/09 7:51 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.