Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

On the RTS
Posted By: Hawaiian Pig <hawaiiangpig@gmail.com>Date: 9/28/06 3:08 a.m.

In Response To: Back up a second... (Hawaiian Pig)

Ok, everyone is debating my stance on RTS in IRC. I'd just like to point out that "Halo" for me has always placed me in the thick of battle, completing the objectives myself; myself being a character with some depth. Not commanding a group of unnamed men to complete the same objective.

Now, drop me down to their level put me in the shoes of one of those men on massive terrain with a squad of really smart AI, tell me "complete this objective" and give me free reign on what positions to attack first, etc. all the while having the rest of the war occur around me... Now there's MY vision of the Fall Of Reach. Huge battles can be occuring, and I can get involved if I wish, or take some other position if I feel the need, satisfying that "create your own battle strategy" element while still telling the story to me from the visceral position of a man in the thick of it all. New twists or exciting developments can occur. Perhaps a Covenant capital ship appears and I can choose to clear the way for the MAC guns to start firing, putting my initial mission of crippiling covie communications, or vice versa. It just seems more exciting to be on the ground battling through it when it happens, and making desicisons on the fly from that perspective like you would with an RTS just makes me salivate.

Ok, so I've never played an RTS, I can't criticize what I don't know. And I should probably give one a try in the near future to see if it has the capacity to tell an epic story like The Fall of Reach or First Strike in a satisfiable way. But I, personally, feel the need (when it comes to Halo) to be told the story through the eyes of someone on the ground, occassionally being snapped back to be brought up to speed with a cinematic, rather than taking the postion of "Lord Hood" and worrying about battle strategy more than what is 'unfolding in that building that the covenant are so scared of... what's in there??'

I'm an FPS story afficinado, I guess. Halo has always satisfied that for me. And RTS simply doesnt seem like it will tell me the story in an exciting way. It would seem that every level will essentially be the same: "Defeat the other side and gain territory" ...now of course the FPS is "get from point A to point B" but I find there is more variety, suprises and cool sights that make things more interesting along the way. Story telling in video games seems to peak with the FPS, to me, and with that in mind, I wouldnt want my favourite game story told any other way.

This isn't a matter of whether it's "fun" or not, I simply dont like the RTS route, other wise known to some as "the only way a story like The Fall of Reach can be told." (Which I'm sure is not the case :/)

I, like others, would love to see the side stories of the Halo universe realized, but I never felt that the stories such as The Fall of Reach would be viewed as an RTS, which is apparently strange of me. It always seemed to focus around a few characters here or there. Pull a Call of Duty on me and drop me into a new character every now and then, I didn't mind the Arbiter at all. (Guess I'm becoming more and more alone on this)

I guess I'm the 'inevitable naysayer' to this descision in Halo's direction. I've always looked at them as shit disturbers, but with the way things are headed, I may very well end up walking after Halo 3. Ok fine, that's too drastic of a descision to make right now... the game has just been annouced for god's sake, I'll wait to see if it finds a niche in my heart

--------------------

*Side note: This is just my view on a "Halo RTS." I still think that the Halo story being realized by someone other than those who created it is a harrowing path to barrel down.

Also, I've been told "Well If you don't like it, don't get it."

Always the choice arguement against the naysayer. :)

I love the story... and no matter how it is told, I want to see it realized...

Even if it means playing through a tedious, boring, game.

Message Index

Replies:

Back up a second...Hawaiian Pig 9/28/06 12:37 a.m.
     Re: Back up a second...iDeNoh 9/28/06 12:55 a.m.
     Re: Back up a second...Xmoose 9/28/06 1:08 a.m.
           Re: Back up a second...Hawaiian Pig 9/28/06 1:23 a.m.
                 Re: Back up a second...sorahn 9/28/06 1:41 a.m.
                       Re: Back up a second...Cocopjojo 9/28/06 1:45 a.m.
                             Re: Back up a second...Hawaiian Pig 9/28/06 1:52 a.m.
                                   Re: Back up a second...Bry 9/28/06 2:11 a.m.
                                         Re: Back up a second...Cocopjojo 9/28/06 2:25 a.m.
                                               Re: Back up a second...Slith 9/28/06 3:02 a.m.
                                                     Re: Back up a second...HipboyScott 9/28/06 11:20 a.m.
                                                           Re: Back up a second...Slith 9/28/06 4:12 p.m.
                                               Re: Back up a second...Bry 9/28/06 3:07 a.m.
                                   Re: Back up a second...Slith 9/28/06 2:55 a.m.
                                         Re: Back up a second...Hawaiian Pig 9/28/06 3:11 a.m.
                                               Re: Back up a second...Narcogen 9/28/06 11:22 p.m.
                                                     My concerns excatly *NM*Hawaiian Pig 9/28/06 11:33 p.m.
                                                     Re: Back up a second...Bry 9/29/06 2:17 a.m.
                                                           Re: Back up a second...Narcogen 9/29/06 4:43 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Back up a second...Bry 9/29/06 6:06 a.m.
                                                                       EnhancedNarcogen 9/29/06 7:17 a.m.
                                                                             Re: EnhancedBry 9/29/06 9:41 a.m.
                                                                             Re: EnhancedPeptuck 9/29/06 10:09 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: EnhancedNarcogen 9/29/06 10:34 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: EnhancedBry 9/29/06 11:06 a.m.
                                                     Re: Back up a second...Document 9/29/06 1:07 p.m.
                                                           Re: Back up a second...Hawaiian Pig 9/29/06 1:11 p.m.
                       Re: Back up a second...Narcogen 9/28/06 4:55 a.m.
     On the RTSHawaiian Pig 9/28/06 3:08 a.m.
           Re: On the RTSBry 9/28/06 3:44 a.m.
                 Re: On the RTSHawaiian Pig 9/28/06 3:49 a.m.
                 Re: On the RTSCupiD-082 9/28/06 1:14 p.m.
           Re: On the RTSAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 9/28/06 11:21 a.m.
           Re: On the RTSHipboyScott 9/28/06 11:43 a.m.
     Re: Back up a second...DHalo 9/28/06 5:32 a.m.
     Re: Back up a second...Peptuck 9/28/06 7:48 a.m.
           Re: Back up a second...Slith 9/28/06 4:27 p.m.
                 Re: Back up a second...raptor117 9/28/06 5:27 p.m.
                 Re: Back up a second...Document 9/28/06 7:27 p.m.
     I'm with the pig...Ducain 9/28/06 8:00 a.m.
     Re: Back up a second...Mister Froggy 9/28/06 9:06 a.m.
           Re: Back up a second...Hawaiian Pig 9/28/06 6:38 p.m.
                 Re: Back up a second...Mister Froggy 9/28/06 8:11 p.m.
                       Something I forgot to add...Mister Froggy 9/28/06 9:29 p.m.
                       Re: Back up a second...Hawaiian Pig 9/28/06 9:30 p.m.
     Re: Back up a second...Boxer 9/28/06 9:22 a.m.
     Re: Back up a second...Cody Miller 9/28/06 10:21 a.m.
           Re: Back up a second...Peptuck 9/28/06 12:10 p.m.
                 Re: Back up a second...Slith 9/28/06 4:30 p.m.
                       Re: On story.Hawaiian Pig 9/28/06 6:31 p.m.
                             Re: On story.Peptuck 9/28/06 10:17 p.m.
     Move up a second....dolbex 9/28/06 10:44 a.m.
           My 1 centClefton Twain 9/28/06 12:27 p.m.
           Re: Move up and right back again :PHawaiian Pig 9/28/06 6:27 p.m.
                 Re: Move up and right back again :Pdolbex 9/29/06 8:54 p.m.
     Re: Back up a second...BattleMaster2552 9/28/06 11:53 a.m.
           Re: Back up a second...Slith 9/28/06 5:01 p.m.
     Summation?Hawaiian Pig 9/28/06 11:31 p.m.
           Re: Summation?mnemesis 9/29/06 1:52 a.m.
                 Re: Summation?Narcogen 9/29/06 4:26 a.m.
           Re: Summation?Sep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 7:57 p.m.
     back up a second...frobie 9/29/06 10:35 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.