Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: this
Posted By: Stephen L. (SoundEffect) <soundeffect@hotmail.com>Date: 1/11/12 8:08 p.m.

In Response To: Re: this (Bry)

: Who's to really say? In strictly military terms, you tend to only be briefed
: on your particular mission, which is why there were mainly only Spartans
: present at that briefing on Reach and not more of the crew.
: There are also little details like how a fair number of the crew on Pillar
: of Autumn are in fact surprised to see a Spartan II on-board.

They were likely just surprised to SEE a Spartan. Probably many UNSC had never seen one before, even as late as that one in Crow's Nest.

: Interesting that you've come to that conclusion. I'm not entirely sure what
: you've used as a basis for that, given art which depicts the Arbiter
: defeating Mgalekgolo.
: As I understand it, the Sangheili were actually getting badly beaten by them.

Which art are you referring to? I was basing it on the story as told in Contact Harvest. Unless you meant the cut-from-Halo 2 mural which is an apocryphal depiction at best...it depicts Hunters in their armor that was crafted for them after they'd joined the Covenant. And instead of showing 1 Elite it shows 2. My bad. :P

: Quite, and remember that I had delved into the material of Halo and the Halo
: 2 Limited Edition, which of course included CFTU and the deleted/extended
: cutscenes, in-particular the one with Truth and Thel talk about the
: history of the Covenant.
: All of this influenced me along a different path.

I only include explicitly cut material if it doesn't conflict with established official canon.

: They prepared me for a line of fiction rather different from what the novels
: earlier novels had depicted, or at least Fall of Reach.

And we'll never see eye to eye on this since I was well versed in the novels before I'd ever played the game or owned an Xbox. We're starting from different perspective and therefore different experiences. The difference is you seem to disqualify what you don't find appealing. I try my best to include all official info but retcons make that hard sometimes.

: That said, IIRC, The Flood doesn't actually go so far as to reaffirm that
: particularly detail in Fall of Reach. If one was to read The Flood without
: having read Fall of Reach, then I don't think they would be left with the
: impression that the Sangheili were not regularly encountered earlier.
: Indeed, MC's first encounter with them on the surface of Halo makes it seem
: like he is reasonably familiar with them. Enough to refer to those in blue
: as aggressive rookies and those in red as veterans.

I was using The Flood excerpt more to point out the way they fundamentally altered the Elite's core personality from what had been established. I got the impression the Elites were still honorable and as such they wouldn't deign to fight name-unworthy scum like humans. It reinforced what we saw in The Fall of Reach, which was Elites not entering human combat until very late.

The Story Bible excerpt in the Sybex Strategy Guide about Elites does emphasize the part about only legitimate entities like Elites may name things and that humans are considered nameless by Elites. And that they're sore that humans had given the name "Elites" to their race. The excerpt doesn't go into their late entry to ground combat with humans.

: This all said, I've been personally quite invested in the Sangheili, their
: path, culture and philosophy. Essentially it was curiosity about them that
: brought me here to HBO via Jillybean.

: Indeed. It just so happens that this particular part never really fit very
: well in overall context.
: At least not really past the Fall of Reach itself.

: In the end, this problem has stemmed from the way the Halo EU was originally
: handled.
: Fall of Reach was written in a fraction of the time Eric would have liked and
: with what amounted to very little back and forth between him and Bungie.
: Under the circumstances, its really quite impressive that any portion of FoR
: has held up to scrutiny.

I agree it could have been handled better. It has never been denounced by Bungie or 343i as non-official and in fact a partial rewrite was done by 343i. It's still canonical information whether people choose to want it to be or not.

: In essence, the retcon was an solution to a problem that never should have
: existed in the first place. But exist it did.

To me the real retcon was still Contact Harvest. I was quite content with it before that messed it up. I had extensive notes even then. It was good. Then, the red ink started to happen more frequently.

My HBO Articles

Message Index

Replies:

343I and the future of Halo.ElzarTheBam 1/10/12 6:16 a.m.
     Re: 343I and the future of Halo.DEEP NNN 1/10/12 8:04 a.m.
     Re: 343I and the future of Halo.FoolsRun 1/10/12 8:44 a.m.
           Re: 343I and the future of Halo.General Vagueness 1/10/12 4:21 p.m.
                 Re: 343I and the future of Halo.Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/10/12 5:29 p.m.
                       thisdavidfuchs 1/10/12 5:32 p.m.
                             Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/10/12 6:53 p.m.
                                   Re: thisQuirel 1/10/12 11:16 p.m.
                                         Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/11/12 6:25 a.m.
                                               Re: thisGeneral Vagueness 1/11/12 11:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/11/12 12:03 p.m.
                                                           Re: thisGeneral Vagueness 1/11/12 12:11 p.m.
                                                                 Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/11/12 1:08 p.m.
                                               Re: thisAnton1792 1/11/12 3:12 p.m.
                                                     Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/11/12 5:13 p.m.
                                                           Re: thisBry 1/11/12 6:29 p.m.
                                                                 Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/11/12 6:52 p.m.
                                                                       Re: thisBry 1/11/12 7:28 p.m.
                                                                             Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/11/12 8:08 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: thisBry 1/12/12 6:15 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/12/12 6:44 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: thisscarab 1/12/12 2:49 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/12/12 3:48 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: thisBry 1/12/12 4:05 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: thisscarab 1/12/12 5:23 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: thisGeneral Vagueness 1/13/12 10:23 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/13/12 11:14 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: thisGeneral Vagueness 1/13/12 12:05 p.m.
                                                                       Re: thisGeneral Vagueness 1/12/12 5:16 p.m.
                                                           Re: thisAnton1792 1/11/12 9:31 p.m.
                                                                 Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/11/12 10:23 p.m.
                                                                       Re: thisAnton1792 1/12/12 5:27 p.m.
                                                           Re: thisGeneral Vagueness 1/12/12 5:00 p.m.
                                                                 Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/15/12 4:47 p.m.
                                                                       Re: thisGeneral Vagueness 1/15/12 5:29 p.m.
                                                                             Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/15/12 7:13 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: thisGeneral Vagueness 1/16/12 12:35 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: thisBry 1/16/12 5:38 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/16/12 8:17 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: thisLeisandir 1/16/12 8:45 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/16/12 9:07 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/16/12 4:33 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: thisBry 1/16/12 10:31 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: thisStephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/16/12 11:27 a.m.
                       Re: 343I and the future of Halo.General Vagueness 1/11/12 11:10 a.m.
                 Re: 343I and the future of Halo.FoolsRun 1/11/12 7:25 a.m.
                       halomultiplayer.isnotcanon.netscarab 1/11/12 7:31 a.m.
                             Re: halomultiplayer.isnotcanon.netFoolsRun 1/11/12 7:53 a.m.
                       Re: 343I and the future of Halo.General Vagueness 1/11/12 11:43 a.m.
                       Re: 343I and the future of Halo.Flynn J Taggart 1/11/12 1:20 p.m.
     the comments they're responding tokidtsunami 1/10/12 4:12 p.m.
     The one thing 343i needs to do:Azo 'Galvat 1/11/12 12:03 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.