Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I've got the answers...
Posted By: NotTheVacuum <j.dyson@mac.com>Date: 8/14/12 8:46 a.m.

In Response To: Re: I've got the answers... (Gravemind)

A lot of good points made above. I'm going to focus on one in particular for a moment...

: The amount of health you have is important, need-to-know information

I think that's the crux of the argument, and I disagree. If you don't have shields, the amount of damage you can survive is very small. You're susceptible to very, very immediate death, whether health is full or nearly empty. I play like I'm a dead man walking once my shields pop, and I start getting cautious when they're really low. Observe successful SWAT players.

I played Halo 3 last night to test this theory some, and apart from being initially surprised how quickly a melee could kill you after a few rounds from an AR land true, I quickly got used to not having a health bar. I had a few really bum games, but more that were on-par with my (mediocre at best) Reach performance.

While I agree that the shield pop mechanism is obvious and advantageous, nobody has explained why that's better than bleed-through. Not all advantages are better (cf: every argument about Reach AAs, ever).

As far as consistency goes, whether it be throughout the sandbox or with reality, that's a slippery slope I wish I hadn't started down. While ammunition size is not the only measure of its efficacy (grain count, jacket/tip design, the gun's accuracy/rate of fire, etc) there are certainly some "consistencies" that get thrown under the bus for the sake of balance and other gameplay mechanics.

One idea I'd been toying with is the shield response to UNSC weapons having a lot to do with rate of fire. For example, a shotgun blast is a lot of hits at once, whereas DMR shots are singular. Are the shields susceptible to a type of buffer overflow? Might that explain why explosions (with lots of concussive force, registering at several points simultaneously) melt shields? Obviously, force is important, which is why a single sniper round to the body is a shield popper. Just thinking out loud, so to speak.

Message Index

Replies:

Grenade IndicatorsAndz 8/13/12 10:21 a.m.
     Re: Grenade IndicatorsiForge 8/13/12 10:44 a.m.
     In Pro mode there are no indicators *NM*RC Master 8/13/12 10:52 a.m.
           Make that "Hardcore Mode" lol *NM*iForge 8/13/12 11:06 a.m.
     Re: Grenade IndicatorsNotTheVacuum 8/13/12 11:03 a.m.
           Why I'm madAndz 8/14/12 4:39 p.m.
                 Why you should calm downJooms 8/14/12 6:08 p.m.
                       Re: Why you should calm downuberfoop 8/14/12 7:58 p.m.
                 Re: Why I'm madRC Master 8/14/12 8:02 p.m.
     I've got the answers...Bryan Newman 8/13/12 11:11 a.m.
           Re: I've got the answers...ZackDark 8/13/12 11:27 a.m.
           Re: I've got the answers...Phoenix_9286 8/13/12 12:44 p.m.
                 Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/13/12 1:44 p.m.
                       Re: I've got the answers...Phoenix_9286 8/13/12 2:17 p.m.
                             Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/13/12 2:28 p.m.
                                   Re: I've got the answers...Jooms 8/13/12 2:50 p.m.
                                   Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/13/12 4:31 p.m.
                                   Re: I've got the answers...Gravemind 8/13/12 6:36 p.m.
                                         Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/14/12 8:46 a.m.
                                               Re: I've got the answers...uberfoop 8/14/12 9:33 a.m.
                                                     Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/14/12 9:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/14/12 1:26 p.m.
                                                           Re: I've got the answers...uberfoop 8/14/12 7:55 p.m.
                                                           Re: I've got the answers...RC Master 8/14/12 8:34 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/15/12 8:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/15/12 6:38 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I've got the answers...notthevacuum 8/15/12 8:19 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I've got the answers...RC Master 8/15/12 9:16 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/16/12 1:29 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/16/12 10:30 a.m.
                                         Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/14/12 1:19 p.m.
                             "It's a game, it doesn't have to make sense."thebruce0 8/15/12 8:56 a.m.
                                   Re: "It's a game, it doesn't have to make sense."Phoenix_9286 8/15/12 3:26 p.m.
                       Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/13/12 4:23 p.m.
           Re: I've got the answers...stabbim 8/14/12 6:52 p.m.
     Go nuts with it 343i.uberfoop 8/13/12 8:06 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.