Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: I've got the answers...
Posted By: Jooms <Jooms1060@yahoo.com>Date: 8/13/12 2:50 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I've got the answers... (NotTheVacuum)

: Halo: Check Your Brain at the Door? I'll pass.

I partially agree. I would like if everything made sense (and most of it does, hence the "sandbox" title halo keeps getting), but some of the more technical things like how shields react and guns shoot, I don't really care if they're base in reality, since most of them aren't. Halo is a fantasy universe, and I believe they have the ability to get away with a lot. If had an explanation for it I wouldn't mind, even if it's something as simple as, "that's how shields work in Halo".

: I would say that Halo 3's shield is just as predictable and consistent (in
: that it always behaves the same way) but perhaps less obvious. Still, it
: gives you what you need to know. If you have a lot, you're fairly safe. If
: you have a little, not as safe. If you have none, you're a hairs breadth
: from respawn. As far as a shield meter goes, it's identical in function to
: Reach's. However, Reach (Vanilla) just happened to have this peculiar,
: physics-defying "pop" mechanism that gave you a crutch. The only
: valid argument I've seen is that it saves your rear-end more often, and
: I'm saying that's not a good thing.

: No, I don't think you're ever lacking that much information in Halo 3. It may
: be more obvious in Reach, and even a less dangerous situation (never mind
: how much more believable), but it's not rocket science or voodoo.

: An observant player will learn that a little bit of shield is false security.
: Certain weapons can still take you out instantly, most anything else
: pretty rapidly. If you have no shield at all, then it's time to either go
: down swinging or get out of there because you're one-shot. I don't think
: it needs to change your play style much whether there's a specific health
: meter.

I agree with all of this as well. I've never felt like I was surprised to die from the amount of damage I received, especially if it was from a gun. I've been a little confused when I miscalculated the range /damage of an explosion, but I felt that it came from my lack of experience of being blown up.

I felt one of the things Halo did really well was provide a bar to show how much damage you can take until you die, rather than using numbered stats or the irritating blood-red screen.

Message Index

Replies:

Grenade IndicatorsAndz 8/13/12 10:21 a.m.
     Re: Grenade IndicatorsiForge 8/13/12 10:44 a.m.
     In Pro mode there are no indicators *NM*RC Master 8/13/12 10:52 a.m.
           Make that "Hardcore Mode" lol *NM*iForge 8/13/12 11:06 a.m.
     Re: Grenade IndicatorsNotTheVacuum 8/13/12 11:03 a.m.
           Why I'm madAndz 8/14/12 4:39 p.m.
                 Why you should calm downJooms 8/14/12 6:08 p.m.
                       Re: Why you should calm downuberfoop 8/14/12 7:58 p.m.
                 Re: Why I'm madRC Master 8/14/12 8:02 p.m.
     I've got the answers...Bryan Newman 8/13/12 11:11 a.m.
           Re: I've got the answers...ZackDark 8/13/12 11:27 a.m.
           Re: I've got the answers...Phoenix_9286 8/13/12 12:44 p.m.
                 Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/13/12 1:44 p.m.
                       Re: I've got the answers...Phoenix_9286 8/13/12 2:17 p.m.
                             Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/13/12 2:28 p.m.
                                   Re: I've got the answers...Jooms 8/13/12 2:50 p.m.
                                   Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/13/12 4:31 p.m.
                                   Re: I've got the answers...Gravemind 8/13/12 6:36 p.m.
                                         Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/14/12 8:46 a.m.
                                               Re: I've got the answers...uberfoop 8/14/12 9:33 a.m.
                                                     Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/14/12 9:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/14/12 1:26 p.m.
                                                           Re: I've got the answers...uberfoop 8/14/12 7:55 p.m.
                                                           Re: I've got the answers...RC Master 8/14/12 8:34 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/15/12 8:44 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/15/12 6:38 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I've got the answers...notthevacuum 8/15/12 8:19 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I've got the answers...RC Master 8/15/12 9:16 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/16/12 1:29 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I've got the answers...NotTheVacuum 8/16/12 10:30 a.m.
                                         Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/14/12 1:19 p.m.
                             "It's a game, it doesn't have to make sense."thebruce0 8/15/12 8:56 a.m.
                                   Re: "It's a game, it doesn't have to make sense."Phoenix_9286 8/15/12 3:26 p.m.
                       Re: I've got the answers...General Vagueness 8/13/12 4:23 p.m.
           Re: I've got the answers...stabbim 8/14/12 6:52 p.m.
     Go nuts with it 343i.uberfoop 8/13/12 8:06 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.