Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoR *long*
Posted By: Architechnid <architechnid@gmail.com>Date: 7/2/12 1:25 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoR (Dragonclaws)

: I was experimenting with the format of my analyses, putting the summary
: separate from the analysis. Do you think I should have kept the analysis
: in the middle of the summary as with the videos on Halo 3 and such? Or is
: it a different issue?

I had to watch the Halo 3 analysis before I could reply. After just seeing it, I don't feel any different about your analysis of Halo 3 than I did of TFoR. Except that I did disagree with some of the H3 analysis, but to a minor and in my opinion insignificant degree.

As for how I'd improve these analysis videos, I'd actually leave the summary part out of it, or at least make it much less detailed. There needs to be some exposition of the plot in order to explain how it is or is not sexist against women, but I think you have room to try and make it more concise. I honestly just find each of the videos I've watched to be uninteresting and minimally informative.

After watching three, I find that they haven't made me engage in rethinking my points of view, or try to look at any new media with a critical eye to how they've treated women, based on what you've put out there. (Again, I am making the assumption that your goal is more than just get your opinion out there, but to try and get people to think about the stories they consume and create). I had at one point thought is was simply the cadence of your voice. While I don't think more variation in your cadence wouldn't hurt, I don't think it is the underlying issue for me.

I put in this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs&feature=plcp as an example of someone who talks with a similar cadence, has a lot to say, and yet managed to keep my attention for almost 40 minutes strait. There are a few things I would look to this video to show how your videos may become more effective.

1) Visual interest
2) Witticisms to break it up a bit
3) Clear/logical structure and progression

1) Visual interest: MrBtongue has a lot more going on visually in this video, and each visual relates to the point he is making or the concept he is trying to demonstrate. In your videos, we are mostly looking at you talking to us, with a few pictures and clips showing who/what you are talking about. I'm not saying not to put the camera on yourself, but perhaps give the audience more movement and illustrations, particularly for audio/visual people like myself.

2) Witticisms: Stick the occasional joke in there. Break it up a bit. Your knowlege of the Haloverse is clearly awesome (better than mine at the least). Use it for more than just marking off the points you are trying to make.

3) Clear/Logical structure and progression: I think this is the most important. Introduce each video with a thesis, beyond that it is a feminist analysis of ___________. For instance, TFoR, a novel providing background for the Halo Universe, passes the (forgive me, I forget the name) test. It has female characters that are in leadership positions, are noted for their intelligence, and in general are very capable. Their are, however some issues: x, y, and z.

Unlike a movie, where you want the mystery to unfold as time progresses, an analysis or presentation should be the reverse. You give away the 'punch line' at the beginning, then state your reasons, then go into detail with the explanation of those reasons.

I hope this post wasn't overly critical for you, Dragonclaws. Further, I hope you find it to be helpful. You seem genuinely interested in improving your videos, and I wrote this post with that in mind. I haven't ever actually made a video like yours. My experiences speaking publicly, though, are more extensive than many, and I relied very heavily on that experience in my criticism, just to let you know the frame of mind I'm coming from.

Gobza! Give it a look-see...

Message Index

Replies:

Feminist Analysis of TFoRDragonclaws 7/1/12 9:41 p.m.
     Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRGrizzlei 7/1/12 10:18 p.m.
           Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRDragonclaws 7/1/12 11:05 p.m.
           Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRStephen L. (SoundEffect) 7/3/12 9:43 p.m.
                 Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRserpx 7/3/12 10:21 p.m.
     Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRTDSpiral 7/1/12 11:17 p.m.
           Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRArchitechnid 7/2/12 1:02 a.m.
                 Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRDragonclaws 7/2/12 1:44 a.m.
                       Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoR *long*Architechnid 7/2/12 1:25 p.m.
                             Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRArchitechnid 7/2/12 1:35 p.m.
                             Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRDragonclaws 7/2/12 2:45 p.m.
                                   Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRArchitechnid 7/2/12 6:53 p.m.
           Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRTDSpiral 7/2/12 1:14 a.m.
           Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRpadraig08 7/2/12 1:53 a.m.
                 Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRTDSpiral 7/2/12 9:02 a.m.
     Purple and pink are long time Bungie game colorsFlynn J Taggart 7/2/12 2:18 a.m.
           Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloDragonclaws 7/2/12 2:42 a.m.
                 Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloGeneral Battuta 7/2/12 10:14 a.m.
                       Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloLouis Wu 7/2/12 11:09 a.m.
                             Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloGeneral Battuta 7/2/12 12:23 p.m.
                                   Ah. *NM*Louis Wu 7/2/12 12:35 p.m.
                                   Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloFlynn J Taggart 7/2/12 1:51 p.m.
                                         Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloGeneral Battuta 7/2/12 2:00 p.m.
                                               Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 7/3/12 2:56 p.m.
                                                     Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloSonofMacPhisto 7/4/12 1:19 a.m.
                                   Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloCody Miller 7/2/12 2:56 p.m.
                                         Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloDragonclaws 7/2/12 3:44 p.m.
                                               Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloCody Miller 7/2/12 4:50 p.m.
                                                     Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloGeneral Battuta 7/3/12 6:55 a.m.
                                                           Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloCody Miller 7/3/12 12:10 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloGeneral Battuta 7/3/12 12:17 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloCody Miller 7/3/12 12:31 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloGeneral Battuta 7/3/12 12:58 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloCody Miller 7/3/12 1:07 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Intent and dead authorsArchitechnid 7/3/12 2:00 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloDragonclaws 7/3/12 2:11 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game colothebruce0 7/4/12 9:49 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloLeisandir 7/4/12 10:48 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game colothebruce0 7/4/12 12:08 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloGeneral Vagueness 7/4/12 8:19 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game colothebruce0 7/5/12 8:27 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloArchitechnid 7/5/12 10:35 a.m.
                                         Re: Purple and pink are long time Bungie game coloGeneral Vagueness 7/4/12 6:28 p.m.
     Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRGeneral Vagueness 7/2/12 1:35 p.m.
           Re: Feminist Analysis of TFoRDragonclaws 7/2/12 2:12 p.m.
     ThoughtsStryfe Bringer 7/3/12 1:44 a.m.
           Re: ThoughtsDragonclaws 7/3/12 2:24 a.m.
                 Re: ThoughtsStryfe Bringer 7/3/12 11:10 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.