/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

What we expect in MTA and M4
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 5/20/15 6:07 a.m.

The following is a re-post of a post I made on Bungie.net that everyone ignored completely for some stupid reason. >:(

It is directed to Bungie as a list of what we expect from the Marathon Trilogy Anniversary and Marathon 4.

Enjoy it. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JJuItmd6L._SY300_.jpg

What to save and what to throw away. (Durandal, Hang Brain) It's important to remember while Halo and Destiny had great improvements over Pathways into Darkness and Marathon, Marathon still has advantages over most other modern shooters and classic ones too like Doom, or Duke Nukem 3D. For a start, unlike Doom and Duke, Marathon's method of storytelling wasn't shit, the doom esque platforming actually worked what with weird physics and vertical Mouselook. Halo had vehicles and huge open levels, (Yay) but it also had mostly third person cutscenes, (no problem) sinking to the bottom of liquids like Dr Eggman in a swimming pool and assholeish Easter eggs like the quests for Halo 2's skulls, the Vidmaster achievements and the Colony ship for sale that was the ODST audio log hunt (Boo).

The following is a list of what we Vidmasters (and possibly Spazeroids) want from the next instalment of the franchise. Please note that I request full 3D remakes of Marathon Eternal and Rubicon (in that order) as part of the Marathon Trilogy Anniversary for chronological reasons. You will have to ask their developers permission first though.

Marathon Trilogy Anniversary

0. Grenade jumping, MA-75 wall walking, grenade climbing and TOZT jet-packing must all return for all three games and get exaggerated. e.g., leap off a high bridge and TOZT your way through a valley to safety like that dream I had 3 years ago, and lots and lots O first person parkour platforming paths with harder routes accessible by wall-walks or grenade climbs. Also return to the quick speed and parkour esque platforming of the original with some actual freerunning and climbing moves added, the most important being A JUMP KEY for reaching further away ledges than the classic sprint of faith. Vidmasters have to solve jumping puzzles in first person like the good little boys and girls they are. Spazeroids and gamer's mum's solve them with the returning chasecam. Also First person view is forced during platforming when playing on Easy to Total Carnage because I can't stand people who don't like First Person platforming.

1. All characters in gameplay and terminals must have complete voice acting. terminals can still have text but they must have an avatar for AIs and a video feed for others (Jason must still be Blake). This includes the Security Officer Marcus Jones himself. I would recommend casting Will Freidle (voice of Lion O in Thundercats 2011) as Marcus, Doug Zartman for Bob and Jason Gritheth (his Shadow the Hedgehog voice) for Durandal. Also, Greg Kirkpatrick should do all the story writing for Anniversary and Marathon 4 and beyond like he did the classic games.

2. it must be full 3D with any limitation from Vulcan/Aleph One fixed e.g. make the Marathon look like a nice place to live. Be sure to keep the 5D space mechanics for mazes and cool portal effects and surreal sequences like dream levels. 3D models required for NPCs and objects but they should all have a classic mode a-la Halo CEA and HALO 2A that return the old textures and sprites and by that I mean the texture replacement for Aleph One and either the original M1 sprites or the XBLA Durandal sprites as the original M2 and Infinity sprites and trilogy textures look like absolute arse.

3. Terminals must function like they did in the original trilogy, not like Halo 3. the only changes to them are READABLE pic text, AI avatars/Bob and alien video feeds and voice acting for both Marcus and the guy on the other end. basically two sided conversations, the old text is subtitles but the terminals can still be skimmed or ignored if desired. Also animated map screens and images based on the original ones. PS bring back Halo CEA/Halo 2 skull hunting

4. No shitty Doom hotplate polygons like the original M1. Instead, try the M1A1 method of placing textures in the floor under the liquid with different animation to create a lovely magma shimmering effect. Swimming should be like Far Cry's animations with the option for classic run key swimming for purists.

5.Make TRYING to rescue the Bobs actually worth two shits. i.e. don't make them die in one hit and don't have the pfhor slaughter them before we have a chance get there. At least make their AI smarter than Paris Hilton on Cocaine. I swear the Bobs in Marathon 1 die faster than gerbills in speed bags full of broken glass, resulting in failure every -blam!-ing --blam!- time.

6. Include a CLIMATIC AND ORIGINAL BOSS FIGHT FOR BLOODY ONCE! the juggernauts were boring to fight as bosses on All Roads and Aye Mak Sicur and the pfhor pfhorephobia "boss" was a lazy piece of garbage. Instead, make the M1 boss an actual boss and a good one at that.

M2 should have the last jug piloted by the real boss, the leader of the Lh'owon pfhor troops perhaps where you fight him after the jug crashes like the Wolfenstein 3D mecha-Hitler, and infinity's Hanger 96 boss can be jugs in the failure levels only but in Aye Mak Sicur, it should be Admiral Tfear with tracking rockets and grenade jump/climb abilities, so the fight plays like the Reala boss from nights into dreams, only less easy.

The Vidmaster challenge boss should be the W'rkncacnter itself only not a lazy half assed enemy rush that PID's W'rk fight on Ok, who else wants some was.

7. LAVA! LAVA! LAVA! LAVA! Also dream levels should be even more surreal with Banshees instead of camo S'pht Kr and make them longer with the terminal story "acted out" with a few corruptions in the locations to make people still read the terminals for a more comprehendible narration than playing the floor is lava on flying escalators and 3D labyrinths like those Superplexus maze balls you used to get from toy stores. (Like the image above) I think they are like a human equivalent to the Sangheli Aurm puzzles.

Marathon 4

0. Have a proper ending and boss fight like in the remakes for this and all future sequels. also Marathon classics Portal esque humour should return courtesy of both Durandal and Marcus. (include it in the remakes too.)

1. All additions to MA must return here too only with an original story following the events of Infinity, Eternal and Rubicon. A return to Leela and the Marathon itself is in order with some other more original locations as well like a crossover with Halo to prove that they are separate universes. Let us see what the W'rkncacnter looks like and let us meet the Jjaro (pronounced the way it is spelt, J-jaro.) After all, Shadow of Sundered Star and First-Light weaves living song returned in Halo, why shouldn't Yrro and maybe an AI based on Pthia?

2. Bring back vehicles like Halo had but make varieties of them unlike Destiny including space-flight combat like Halo Reach and Halo 4 had.

3. Have different gravity types with different gameplay tweaks. e.g. low gravity should have TOZT jet pack runs and larger more spaced out parkour sections, high gravity (e.g. Pathways into Uranus set in and around Uranian diamond lakes and glacier caves) should be dungeon "crawlers" with vent crawling and minor platforming like those indoor 3D maze play areas from Funky-Forest or Chuck-E Cheese.

Also, make Pfhor chase Marcus to high gravity and have them squash into pizzas with a skull effect making them literal pizzas. also, no Bobs in high grav zones for realism (minus the occasional "teleport accident")

Lastly, zero gravity 6DOF flight zones in both air and vacuum including a null-grav netmap based on a cross between G4 Sunbathing, Thunderdome and Ender's game.

4. Bring back free S'pht, Drinniols, etc as NPC allies and give the other races like Drinniols, wasps and lookers more backstory.

5. Cast a "Bob" character giving the generic ones their namesake named Bob Cormack and voiced and modelled after Doug Zartman himself. have him as a sort of comic relief and friend character like a cross between Snarf and Kenny. e.g. Vacbob: "he killed Bob!" Marcus: You -blam!-ard!" (even if Marcus himself kills a lot of bobs.) Also Bob C respawns constantly like Kenny and Avery Johnson.

6. Have a skull in this and MA that turns Simulacrums into Minecraft creepers.

7. FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! and LAVA! LAVA! LAVA! LAVA! LAVA!

With obvious salutations, (I think it means respectful praise)

Lion O Cyborg.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/20/15 6:07 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4 *NM* *LINK*Lion O Cyborg 5/20/15 6:15 a.m.
     Imagine a painting of a horse...Bob-B-Q 5/20/15 6:48 a.m.
           Too bad they couldn't bury Halo, too...Jabberwok 5/21/15 9:32 a.m.
                 Re: Too bad they couldn't bury Halo, too...Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 9:02 a.m.
           Re: Imagine a painting of a horse...Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 4:52 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Martin 5/20/15 1:37 p.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 7:01 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Martin 5/21/15 10:59 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4PerseusSpartacus 5/21/15 12:04 p.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:14 p.m.
                             Re: Spank DaddyoPresident People 5/28/15 10:10 p.m.
                                   Re: Spank DaddyoMartin 5/29/15 12:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Spank DaddyoPerseusSpartacus 5/29/15 7:53 a.m.
                                   Re: Spank DaddyoVikingBoyBilly 5/29/15 2:57 a.m.
                                         Re: Spank DaddyoMartin 5/29/15 9:05 a.m.
                                               Re: Spank DaddyoLion O Cyborg 5/29/15 11:35 a.m.
                                                     Re: Spank DaddyoMartin 5/29/15 8:04 p.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 7:38 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:18 p.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 1:35 p.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:57 p.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 5:26 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/22/15 9:26 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 4:47 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 7:27 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 7:57 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 7:03 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 7:25 a.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:29 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/22/15 7:52 a.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 9:29 a.m.
                                   You're twelve years old and what is this? *NM*Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 9:31 a.m.
                                         I think all involved could stand to ad-hominem a b *NM*cB557 5/22/15 9:37 a.m.
                                               Re: I think all involved could stand to ad-hominemcB557 5/22/15 9:37 a.m.
                                         Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:01 a.m.
                                               Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:34 a.m.
                                                     Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 11:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Lion O Cyborg 5/23/15 4:40 a.m.
                                                     Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 1:46 p.m.
                                                           Re: You're twelve years old and what is this?VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 1:48 p.m.
                                   Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 9:57 a.m.
                                         Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:17 a.m.
                                               Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/22/15 11:52 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 6:03 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Matt 5/21/15 7:48 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Jabberwok 5/21/15 9:27 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Matt 5/21/15 11:57 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/21/15 1:23 p.m.
                             Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Philtron 5/21/15 1:29 p.m.
                                   Re: What we expect in MTA and M4PerseusSpartacus 5/21/15 8:11 p.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 7:16 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Matt 5/22/15 7:49 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 7:58 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Bob-B-Q 5/22/15 9:44 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 10:19 a.m.
     Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 5:17 a.m.
           Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/22/15 9:12 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/22/15 9:33 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4cB557 5/22/15 9:34 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 10:59 a.m.
                 Re: What we expect in MTA and M4VikingBoyBilly 5/22/15 11:08 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/23/15 4:43 a.m.
                       Re: What we expect in MTA and M4Lion O Cyborg 5/23/15 4:47 a.m.
     What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/24/15 9:06 a.m.
           Re: What I want in a rereleasePerseusSpartacus 5/24/15 7:07 p.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleasePhiltron 5/24/15 8:08 p.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/25/15 2:13 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleasePerseusSpartacus 5/25/15 7:03 a.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 9:13 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 8:49 a.m.
           Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 8:14 a.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/25/15 9:04 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/25/15 9:55 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleasePerseusSpartacus 5/26/15 6:11 p.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/27/15 4:27 a.m.
                                   Re: What I want in a rereleaseLion O Cyborg 5/27/15 6:20 a.m.
           Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/26/15 7:05 a.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/26/15 7:43 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/26/15 8:47 a.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 5/26/15 10:52 a.m.
                                   Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/26/15 3:01 p.m.
                                         Re: What I want in a rereleasetreellama 5/27/15 7:21 a.m.
                                         Re: What I want in a rereleaseukimalefu 5/27/15 7:54 a.m.
                                         Re: What I want in a rerelease *LINK*Dispatcher 5/30/15 5:27 a.m.
                                               What I want in a rerelease, spelling corrected.Dispatcher 5/31/15 4:57 a.m.
                                                     Re: What I want in a rerelease, spelling correctedVikingBoyBilly 6/1/15 3:06 a.m.
                                                           Re the Re: What I want in a rereleaseDispatcher 6/1/15 3:59 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Re the Re: What I want in a rereleaseVikingBoyBilly 6/2/15 3:43 a.m.
                 Re: What I want in a rereleaseBob-B-Q 5/27/15 8:43 a.m.
                       Re: What I want in a rereleaseMatt 5/27/15 9:00 a.m.
                             Re: What I want in a rereleaseBob-B-Q 5/27/15 9:47 a.m.
                                   VRukimalefu 5/27/15 11:50 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.