Halo 4 got me wondering about a lot of things. I have a lot of questions now, and I thought I'd share them. A whole lot of them will probably be negative, some of them will be positive, some of them will be rhetorical, and a lot of them won't really have a point or an angle, they're just things I honestly don't know or don't understand and am curious about. These aren't my entire opinion of the game; a lot of stuff, particularly stuff I'm OK with or like, is hard to put in question form. A few things are left out because they've been asked so much the last few weeks or because I intend to talk about them in other ways soon. These are in no particular order.
- Why were the returning weapons changed in the ways they were?
- related question: Why was the plasma rifle not good enough to come back?
- Why is the ability to zoom in as a monitor (like you can as a Spartan, not the "zoom" associated with an object being placed) not in Forge any more?
- What's the point of the Storm rifle?
- Why is the ability to hold crouch to move slower as a monitor not in Forge any more?
- What's the point of Capt. Del Rio, besides being a pathetically obvious (and just pathetic) obstacle for the Chief (and Cortana) to overcome? follow-up question, why does he act like he a) doesn't like the Chief at all and b) doesn't understand that taking him into custody isn't going to happen without some serious speed, strength, and possibly firepower? Is he that stupid?
- Who thought the new Spartan armor looked good, especially the helmets?
- What's with the fonts?
- related question: Did 343i do any testing with analog or SD TVs at all?
- Why don't the Chief or Cortana say anything when the player finds logs from Halsey?
- Why are the enemies at the end of Dawn and the beginning of Requiem dying?
- Was that one repetitive message at the beginning of Requiem really supposed to say "Didact"? Was I really supposed to pick up on that? I thought it was a snippet of distorted Sangheili speech... I guess I shouldn't be surprised, what with the Forerunners' name for themselves apparently being "Forerunner"
- Why have we not seen a single ODST in campaign or Spartan Ops?
- Why do the Sentinels just teleport away instead of getting destroyed and dropping a Sentinel beam?
- Why are so many gametypes and gametype options gone? (I've heard things second-hand about streamlining the game; sources on that would be good, and an explanation would be better, assuming it's true)
- Who thought the sound design, and in particular the music, was good? Is it really just what's-his-face Brit guy (Neal something) and what's-his-face Japanese guy (something Sotaro?) that looked this over? Would it really have been impossible to just hire Total Audio to do the sound for the game? If not, why didn't 343i do it?
- There still could've been some classic Halo songs in there, but they seem to be missing, why not use such an awesome resource?
- Who thought this ordnance system (with all the randomness and ability to pick and choose it has) was a good idea, or better than what we had before?
- Does Halo 4 have a higher default movement speed, or is it your character's height, or is it the way maps are laid out, or is it just me?
- Why is this a console game if I have to install stuff? follow-up question, why is there a second disk that has no uses except being installed and being used as a coaster?
- Where's my manual? you'd better not point me to that interactive guide thing, it's so slow, gimmicky, unintuitive, and just awful it's kind of not even funny... I love the environment and plants and trees probably more than the next guy, but what we got could've at least been better
- Who knew clicking the left stick to sprint would work so well?
- Why are there Forerunner weapon racks all over Requiem (besides gameplay reasons)?
- Who thought the HUD was good? I saw a comparison here on the forum a little while back and it did improve from what we saw at E3 last year, but why stop there? Why not eliminate the pointless lines, the illegible text, and the blocked-off areas?
- tie-in question, Why does everything slosh around like Spartans have waterbeds strapped to their heads? People have mentioned an "inside the helmet feeling" but is that even realistic or practical? Are there even real systems now or even in the past that have or had this problem?
- I mentioned gametypes, but in particular, WTF is up with CTF?
- The pulse grenade is interesting and fun to mess with sometimes, but it's not that useful overall... why is that, and why did it make the cut to be in the game?
- How is someone that hasn't been reading the books or HBO supposed to understand around a third of what's going on?
- Why does Spartan Ops have zero challenge the vast majority of the time? you just keep respawning with more ammo, and you can pick which weapons and equipment you want, and even if you don't go that route there's free ammo and weapons and grenades all over most of the levels, it even shows you where to get stuff
- If it's going to have something that looks just like the Marathon symbol, why not just use it the way it was? I find it hard to believe even Microsoft could get away with such blatant trademark infringement unless there's something else going on here... speaking of which, what's the legal status of the Superintendent graphic things?
- Why are there so many spots where the graphics get all blocky? I'd show you what I mean but...
- Where's my campaign and Spartan Ops theater/saved film capability?
- Why are the alien bad guys never called the Storm, and why are they called the Covenant, after 343i went and actually gave us information about them before the game came out? Why does the Chief say we had a truce with the Covenant when it was with the Elites? Are they trying to confuse people?
- What ever happened to there being a fictional, in-game reason the Chief's armor is different?
- Why is the Didact so mad? Why is the version of the Didact in the game inconsistent with the Halo 3 terminals, the Halo 4 terminals except the last one or two, and apparently the books?
- Why is there not even so much as a mention of Mendicant Bias?
- We save Earth? again? really?
If anyone at 343i or MS who has answers to any of this would tell us what the deal is... well I'd be surprised, but I'd also be deeply appreciative.
What do you guys (HBO) think about all this? Are you wondering about anything in particular that Halo 4 brought to mind?