Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4
Posted By: General Vagueness <General.Vagueness@gmail.com>Date: 1/11/13 12:07 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4 (uberfoop)

: Why have they always been changed drastically with each iteration?

Oh I get that, I'm just wondering why they went the way they did with it. In particular I'm curious why the pistol went from a 5-shot kill to a 6-shot kill (unless you're using the magic flagnum pistol), which to honest I don't like, why they had the needler go back to the behavior it had in the first 2-3 games, and why they took one round away from the DMR's magazine.

: Probably an oversight.

: What's the point of any of the redundancy?

: Probably an oversight.

I'm reluctant to believe those. :/

: I actually almost liked that moment, in the sense that it's one of those few
: moments where the chief really nails the chief; in a sense, the "no,
: sir" is quite a bit like the "that's not going to happen"
: moment of Halo 1. It's quite well-styled, and it's unfortunate that it
: feels contrived.

The Chief pretty much feels like the Chief there. Someone pointed out a while back that Del Rio's orders weren't technically unreasonable and that's kind of what I thought when I first watched it, and it dulls the scene a bit, but the Chief more or less acting OK and Del Rio acting like a raving... something... overshadow that, and it kind of him even harder to understand-- if he has good reason for what he's doing, it's not against regulations, and the Chief didn't just strangle his dog or something, why is he in full rage mode? Is this some kind of alpha-male thing? Did someone tell him Spartans respond better to anger, presumably to see if he'd get himself killed?

: They suck.

yeah

: The fonts look annoying on an HDTV as well, even if they're somewhat more
: readable.

awesome :|

: As far as in-game graphics are concerned, I don't see it as being that
: disastrous for SDTVs. The main issues for me were that SD CRTs are too
: vibrant for Requiem and Forerunner, and the cluttered interiors on
: Shutdown (which don't look especially great on any display) get terribly
: muddy at 480i.

I don't get what you mean.

: Their throats are sore from already talking more than ever before.

You have a point, assuming you were trying to make one, but if they'd comment on anything I'd think it would be that.

: Insufficient physical therapy. Knee care and all that good stuff.

um...

: Yeah, I didn't make it out on my first playthrough either. Halo 4 is obsessed
: with sound garbling.

I'm OK with that, but I didn't expect there to be English just stuck in there like that.

: Spartan IVs are the new ODSTs, I guess. :/

maybe

: Less objects for the engine to track.

maybe... I'm thinking there was some reason they didn't want the Sentinel beam in the game... whatever it was, I'm sure it was a stupid reason, but I'm still curious what it was, and I'd be happy to give them a chance to explain

: Most likely development crunch. A lot of things aren't finished.

I suspected that too, and I said as much over on Community Customs. (BTW is there some way to replicate Juggernaut with Regicide I haven't seen or figured out?)

: I actually don't think the music is terrible, though it doesn't have quite
: the distinct character of Marty's. Actually, I think it often does a
: reasonably good job flowing consistently with the other aspects of the art
: design of given area; the atmospheric music on Forerunner, for instance.

yeah, again, I don't think it's terrible, but very little of it is good

: Why they didn't use the classic Marty music is probably the same reason Marty
: minimized the use of his Halo Trilogy stuff when he made ODST and Reach;
: it wouldn't have fit quite right.

I'll tell you what I told Cody (I can't seem to find where I said it but I know I did), good music pretty much fits anywhere.

: I keep seeing people saying the movement feels fast, and I keep being
: confused. Halo 4's movement feels just as sluggish as Reach's to me, if
: not moreso.

It's close, but I played some Reach the other day and I think Halo 4 is a little bit faster, at least in matchmaking.

: -"You already know how to play Halo."

not everyone does, though

: -Trees and moneys.

I addressed that

: You mean UNSC racks? Forerunner racks would make sense.

No, I mean how after you start seeing Prometheans you start seeing weapon racks with Forerunner weapons in them-- the same ones the Prometheans drop. The Prometheans have them built in, so why have those, and why have them sitting around where anyone could take them and use them against the Prometheans?

: Helmets *can* move relative to a persons head, though the sloshing is sort of
: on the crazy side.

even with head movement, can't they compensate for that now? if not I'd expect them to be able to in 500 years

: Weapon redundancy policy meant that Prometheans needed a grenade.

I don't have a problem with it being there, I just want to why it was made the way it was and why it was considered useful enough to be something the player should have.

: Because the 360 is 7 years old and running on less than 200 watts, and 343i
: prioritized a ton of up-front detail over overall scene integrity.

Does the power supply really make a difference?

: 343i marketing.

:/

You cannot fall off the floor.

Message Index

Replies:

Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4General Vagueness 1/9/13 9:24 p.m.
     This is the epitome of nitpicking.zoojoo 1/9/13 9:57 p.m.
           It's like you've never met GV before =P *NM*Lurono 1/9/13 11:52 p.m.
           Agreed.Ragashingo 1/9/13 11:59 p.m.
           Honestly...SonGoharotto 1/10/13 12:09 a.m.
           Re: This is the epitome of nitpicking.General Vagueness 1/10/13 12:53 p.m.
                 ITS OK.....zoojoo 1/10/13 2:00 p.m.
     Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4Avateur 1/9/13 10:12 p.m.
           Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4General Vagueness 1/10/13 2:08 p.m.
                 Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4uberfoop 1/10/13 4:06 p.m.
                       Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4General Vagueness 1/11/13 7:20 p.m.
                             Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4uberfoop 1/11/13 7:35 p.m.
     Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4uberfoop 1/9/13 10:32 p.m.
           Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4General Vagueness 1/11/13 12:07 a.m.
                 Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4uberfoop 1/11/13 1:40 a.m.
                       Oops.uberfoop 1/11/13 1:42 a.m.
                       Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4General Vagueness 1/11/13 11:18 p.m.
                             Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4General Vagueness 1/11/13 11:34 p.m.
     Selected Sarcastic ResponsesRC Master 1/10/13 11:34 a.m.
           Re: Selected Sarcastic ResponsesGeneral Vagueness 1/11/13 5:56 p.m.
                 Re: Selected Sarcastic ResponsesRC Master 1/12/13 9:03 a.m.
                       Re: Selected Sarcastic ResponsesGeneral Vagueness 1/12/13 12:11 p.m.
     Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4scarab 1/10/13 12:35 p.m.
           Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4General Vagueness 1/11/13 6:21 p.m.
                 Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4uberfoop 1/11/13 6:44 p.m.
                 Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4scarab 1/12/13 3:41 a.m.
     Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4Quirel 1/10/13 7:55 p.m.
           Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4snakegriffin 1/10/13 9:48 p.m.
                 Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4thebruce0 1/11/13 9:11 a.m.
           Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4General Vagueness 1/11/13 7:50 p.m.
                 Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4Quirel 1/12/13 8:09 p.m.
                       Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4General Vagueness 1/12/13 8:19 p.m.
                             Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4Quirel 1/13/13 6:31 p.m.
                                   Re: Questions: a (sort of) review of Halo 4General Vagueness 1/13/13 7:08 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.