Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*
Posted By: Simpsons Rule <Simpsons_Rule_17@hotmail.com>Date: 4/11/06 11:14 a.m.

In Response To: Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long* (mc_leprechaun)

: My understanding of this copying software is that it copies everything flaws
: included. Now I am currently at my desk in work so no copy of FS to hand.
: I don't remember anything in the text that supports "rampant"
: hehe.. theorizing that this black code keeps the AI alive and counters
: errors created either thru excessive copying or in Corty's case.. the
: inevitable life span issue. The copies cortana made of parts of herself
: were dumber and got more so with each copy..

When Cortana was looking for the Covenant translation software, she says that she looked at the very core of the Covenant A.I. and it was convoluted, full of different codes and software she didn't understand, but also full of things like loophole programs that had to be errors. She even describes when she replicates the translation software that the Covenant A.I. looked extremely like herself, only as though it had been copied over and over again. She disregards that theory because any copying would also copy the errors present in the A.I.'s core, and all of the copies would stop in 7 years anyway. However, I believe the black, convoluted core that Cortana describes is the thing keeping the A.I. functioning. The Cortana copies kept making more and more of themselves, however they were not designed or modified as the Covenant A.I.s were with the black core. Therefore, although the copying software "becomes an inseparable copy of each subsequent copy," without the proper programming, the copies couldn't sustain themselves. The only difference, in my opinion, between the Cortana copies and the numerous-timed copied Covenant A.I. is the black core. Cortana's copyies all stopped functioning. The Covenant A.I. was smart enough to give Cortana a run for her money. Now, I know Cortana was carrying all the information about Halo, however Cortana is also the best A.I. to date. That Covenant A.I. was pretty damned impressive.

: Cortana wasn't old enuff to be experiencing excessive degradation given she
: was only created shortly before FOR for the original Spartan mission to
: capture a prohpet. I seem to remember she was carry the entire database of
: information on Halo etc, was unwilling to store this locally due to the
: covvie AI presence and possible interception, and this was what was
: slowing her throughput.

Cortana even questions exactly how much of her own life she had taken away from her experiences in Halo. The A.I.s were never designed for anything even remotely close to what Cortana had performed. Therefore, while she may very well have been recently 'born,' the fact that she has performed so much may make her much farther along her life cycle than the 7 year estimate previously made.

Message Index

Replies:

The MC gets a new AI in Halo 3 -speculationWado SG 4/10/06 12:06 p.m.
     Re: The MC gets a new AI in Halo 3 -speculationRagashingo 4/10/06 12:36 p.m.
           What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*Schedonnardus 4/10/06 2:50 p.m.
                 Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*Ragashingo 4/10/06 2:53 p.m.
                       Looks Like Someone Wants on the HSPLoneRanger 2.5 4/10/06 6:15 p.m.
                             won't happenSchedonnardus 4/10/06 9:02 p.m.
                 Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*Simpsons Rule 4/10/06 10:58 p.m.
                       Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*mc_leprechaun 4/11/06 9:18 a.m.
                             Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*Simpsons Rule 4/11/06 11:14 a.m.
                                   Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*SPARTAN-034 4/11/06 4:06 p.m.
                             Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 4/11/06 10:00 p.m.
                                   Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*FadedPhotograph 4/17/06 1:30 a.m.
                 Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*FadedPhotograph 4/17/06 1:25 a.m.
                       Re: What if the Covenant AI was Cortana? *Long*Schedonnardus 4/17/06 10:52 a.m.
           Re: The MC gets a new AI in Halo 3 -speculationShortRoundMcfly 6/28/06 8:32 p.m.
     Re: The MC gets a new AI in Halo 3 -speculationspaartan117 4/10/06 12:56 p.m.
           Forrunner AI? Who does that remind me of...SPARTAN-034 4/10/06 5:52 p.m.
                 Re: Forrunner AI? Who does that remind me of...jimbo-034 4/10/06 6:53 p.m.
                       ^^High Charity is carved from a moon!? WTF?^^ *NM*Schedonnardus 4/11/06 9:31 a.m.
                 Re: Forrunner AI? Who does that remind me of...Ragashingo 4/11/06 3:57 p.m.
                 Re: Forrunner AI? Who does that remind me of...FadedPhotograph 4/17/06 1:32 a.m.
     MephistophelesJillybean 4/10/06 7:10 p.m.
           Re: MephistophelesWado SG 4/10/06 8:34 p.m.
                 Re: MephistophelesEric Trautmann 4/17/06 3:22 p.m.
                       Re: MephistophelesJillybean 4/17/06 3:28 p.m.
           But not a sword! *NM*Infantier 4/11/06 7:28 a.m.
           Re: It's catchy!UrsusArctos 4/12/06 2:43 a.m.
                 Escaping AIsForunner Prophet 4/16/06 7:32 p.m.
                       Okay.. did you even play halo?! *NM*Scaraby 4/16/06 7:37 p.m.
                             Re: Okay.. did you even play halo?!L!ve w!re 4/16/06 7:49 p.m.
                             Re: Okay.. did you even play halo?!Spartan Jag 4/16/06 7:50 p.m.
                                   Agreed. Always be helpful to noobs. *NM*skavenger_s7 4/17/06 7:23 a.m.
                                         Agreed, we should try to be helpful towards skav!Scaraby 4/17/06 11:18 a.m.
                                               Re: Agreed, we should try to be helpful towards skL!ve w!re 4/17/06 5:41 p.m.
                       Re: Escaping AIsPeptuck 4/16/06 9:36 p.m.
                             Re: Escaping AIsFadedPhotograph 4/17/06 1:38 a.m.
                                   Re: Escaping AIsPeptuck 4/17/06 10:37 a.m.
                 Re: It's catchy!FadedPhotograph 4/17/06 1:35 a.m.
     Re: The MC gets a new AI in Halo 3 -speculationsteven 4/17/06 5:38 a.m.
           Re: The MC gets a new AI in Halo 3 -speculationTrickwaffle 4/17/06 5:48 p.m.
                 Lord Hood *NM*LoneRanger 2.5 4/17/06 7:51 p.m.
           Re: The MC gets a new AI in Halo 3 -speculationFourPenguins 6/27/06 10:13 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.