Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartogra
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 6/14/11 2:14 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartogra (Stephen L. (SoundEffect))

: Keep in mind that I don't just play the game, I examine it. I've been high
: enough above the island for it to be a couple of inches across on my
: monitor. It's very apparent from up there that the island is alone in the
: sea.

I have a problem with assigning canonical value to anything that is observed outside of the normal constraints of play, though.

Just because Bungie chose to place nothing beyond the areas they would normally expect you to be able to reach doesn't mean they aren't there in the "real" environment-- to the extent that any such thing exists.

The Halo ring isn't large and far away from the PoA. It's small and relatively close. You can walk out and touch it. A lot of the specs for vehicles you've developed depend on relative scale. What's the "real" relative size of the ring, in world units, as described directly in the game engine?

: This is part of what gets my back up about this. Nothing is served story-wise
: to suddenly put mountains in the background of the island.

What is served story-wise by having none present there? It's neutral. There's no story value for that fact whatsoever. A Pelican drops the Chief off, and another one picks him up. If any particular adjacent land mass-- no matter how far away-- was his next destination, a Pelican would have taken him there. How far away this island is from anything has no canonical value whatsoever-- none.

It's a change
: for change's sake. If anything it takes away from a story element...that
: the security system on the ring went from very isolated to just on a
: nearby island. Changes the perception of the location.

Wait, what?

First of all, if it's important that the facility here be isolated from the rest of the ring, it's because of the Cartographer-- not because of the security override, which, in-game, we're never given any reason to believe overrides anything other than the one door we need it to open, which is not isolated at all-- it's on the same island with us.

The Ark's cartographer is neither isolated nor on an island. If we assume that if being isolated was part of the design spec of a map room, then the Ark's should be as well. It isn't. It is, however, protected by a security door, which is neither distant nor isolated from the map room it secures. In Halo 3, it is overridden by 343GS.

: The level of detail I require isn't so important as taking stock of what has
: been established. If it was in a novel, the visual details are only as
: good as described. When you actually make something real, you need to keep
: track of that in case it gets used again later.

: I'd have no problem with the Chief's armor if it was only described in a
: novel. The Halo 2, 3 and 4 versions of the armor would be the same. When
: you make it visual, you break the immersion when the same armor is
: visually different.

: There are changes I don't like but understand. Miranda's voice, Truth's...if
: they couldn't get a person back (or in the case of Mercy the voice actor
: died) then they have to make due. But changing an isolated island to one
: with land nearby....I have to be able to accept the reason why it's been
: changed for me not to have the immersion broken.

Again, I can only say what I've said before-- that this is such a high standard-- and by high, I mean a lot higher than most of the rest of the audience-- that even attempting to achieve it is not cost effective, and, in terms of dealing with artists, probably self-defeating and ultimately detrimental.

I also don't think that extreme isolation was ever a part of the design doc for that level. It needed to be round to allow for flexibility in playing the scenario, and the water was a convenient barrier to restrict the play area while allowing visual variety, compared to the mountains, valleys, and cliff edges used for the same purposes in other outdoor levels. Placing distant land masses, unreachably far away and presumably of no particular interest, changes nothing of substance because the previous absence of them established nothing of substance.

: You should be thankful that so much can be altered without it ruining your
: enjoyment.

Hey, I don't know. I'm getting ripped a new one in other threads for insisting that jets can't come out of the Chief's ass whenever it's convenient, and insisting that it's more important for the Chief's character to remain consistent than to explain where the jets came from, and that if the essential story of Halo is the relationship between Cortana and the Chief, then the significance of their last scene together really ought to be respected-- and I'm being told that I should withhold judgment and not jump to conclusions.

So, clearly, there are plenty of changes that ruin my enjoyment and that other people brush off just as easily-- just different kinds of changes :)

rampancy.net

Message Index

Replies:

I made a few quick comparison shots:The Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:01 a.m.
     Cool!Revenant1988 6/9/11 10:03 a.m.
     Very nicePsychoRaven 6/9/11 10:04 a.m.
     Very, very nice *NM*ElzarTheBam 6/9/11 10:08 a.m.
     SuggestionWayward Spleen™ 6/9/11 10:10 a.m.
           Re: SuggestionThe Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:27 a.m.
     Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 10:16 a.m.
           Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:The Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:26 a.m.
                 Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 10:29 a.m.
                       Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:The Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:39 a.m.
           Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Shishka 6/9/11 11:59 a.m.
                 Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 12:14 p.m.
                       Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:mnemesis 6/9/11 12:25 p.m.
                             Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 12:41 p.m.
                                   Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:mnemesis 6/9/11 1:04 p.m.
                                         Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Shishka 6/9/11 1:41 p.m.
                                               Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Miguel Chavez 6/9/11 9:46 p.m.
                                   Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:DMFanella 6/9/11 1:30 p.m.
                                         Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 1:32 p.m.
                                               Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:DMFanella 6/9/11 1:45 p.m.
                                               Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:KP 6/9/11 5:01 p.m.
                                                     I will pull this forum overGeneral Vagueness 6/9/11 6:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: I will pull this forum overShishka 6/9/11 7:30 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I will pull this forum overGeneral Vagueness 6/9/11 8:24 p.m.
                 No Bioshocking.Narcogen 6/10/11 3:11 a.m.
     Noodlie ElitesCapt Spanish 6/9/11 10:26 a.m.
     Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Leviathan 6/9/11 10:35 a.m.
           Something looks wrong with The Silent CartographerRyanTheHeretic 6/9/11 11:38 a.m.
                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/9/11 12:33 p.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograbluerunner 6/9/11 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograuberfoop 6/9/11 1:01 p.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/9/11 2:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/10/11 3:16 a.m.
                                         Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/10/11 6:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/13/11 12:43 a.m.
                                                     Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/13/11 6:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/13/11 7:16 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/13/11 3:31 p.m.
                       Because everyone does it.uberfoop 6/9/11 12:58 p.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograLeviathan 6/9/11 2:26 p.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/9/11 3:50 p.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/10/11 3:13 a.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/10/11 6:39 a.m.
                                   Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograLeviathan 6/10/11 11:28 a.m.
                                         Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/10/11 2:07 p.m.
                                               Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograGeneral Vagueness 6/10/11 5:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/13/11 12:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/13/11 7:31 a.m.
                                               Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/14/11 2:14 a.m.
                                                     Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/14/11 8:15 a.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograLouis Wu 6/14/11 9:25 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/14/11 10:51 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograGeneral Vagueness 6/14/11 12:51 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograuberfoop 6/14/11 1:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograRockslider 6/14/11 10:38 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/14/11 11:07 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/15/11 2:51 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/15/11 7:00 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/15/11 2:47 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/15/11 6:58 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/17/11 2:13 a.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/15/11 2:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/15/11 6:55 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/17/11 2:17 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograuberfoop 6/17/11 3:09 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/17/11 6:47 a.m.
                       dittoscarab 6/10/11 4:19 a.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograurk 6/17/11 11:32 a.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograFyreWulff 6/17/11 11:40 a.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograChewbeccawacca 6/17/11 1:53 p.m.
     Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:zerowind117 6/9/11 3:45 p.m.
           Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:ghost faction 6/15/11 10:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.