Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartogra
Posted By: Stephen L. (SoundEffect) <soundeffect@hotmail.com>Date: 6/15/11 6:55 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartogra (Narcogen)

: Be prepared to do a lot of objecting, then :)

: Are you the only one who notices? No. Are you one of the few who care?
: Possibly. Are you the only one who thinks that any change at all, if not
: strongly justified by some other reason, is bad? Quite possibly.

: With regards to other elements, I would also fall into that boat. Geography
: and technical specifications just aren't among them.

: Even if they could have, they wouldn't have, because they don't need to. It
: would have been a waste of resources.

Well, they already made the ring. Making it larger would be a matter of math and scaling, which a 3D program is quite capable of. It could be done is about 10 keystrokes and mouse clicks. What would then be needed is to increase the fidelity of a structure that large. Again possible, but as you say, not worth the resources.

Instead, they opted for setting the scene as you would a motion picture effects shot: a smaller model of a Halo ring suspended in front of the Autumn model. Except the Autumn is real and in-world scale, but the Halo is smaller and Threshold, Basis and Soell are flat background graphics.

: They represent a large item

: The problem is the script uses the word "installation" which is
: used by 343GS to mean the entire ring. Here it is used only by Cortana,
: and I would interpret it as meaning the Map room itself, and not the
: entire ring.

: Access to Delta Halo's control room, for instance, is gained without
: previously visiting any "security station" or "security
: substation" and that is a signficantly more sensitive location than
: the map room-- which on Delta Halo we never even see.

: The relevant lines are:
: CORTANA: Negative, Captain. The Covenant have impeded our progress. We can't
: proceed unless we can disable this installation's security system.
:

: and

:
: CORTANA: We need to find the security override to get this door open.
:

: and

:
: CORTANA: Well, there's the entrance to the security substation, but it looks
: like we'll have to look for another way up.
:

: The use of the word "substation" here always indicated to me that
: even if the ring does have a system-wide security system, the one we're
: dealing with here is only a subset of that, and it would seem reasonable
: to assume that the division of duties across that system would be
: geographical, so that a local security substation restricts access to
: local resources; in this case, the map room.

: This next one I think bolsters both that interpretation, as well as the
: interpretation that the previous mentions of "installation" mean
: the cartographer and not the ring itself:
: Cortana: This isn't the map room. Analyzing... (Pause) This is a security
: override station for the main facility, located somewhere else on this
: island. Shut the system down so the Covenant won't be able to lock us out.
:

: Whereas Cortana previously said "installation" and Keyes said
: "facility" (not quoted here) Cortana now uses
: "facility" to refer to the subject affected by the security
: station. That "main facility" is located "somewhere else on
: this island"-- meaning the map room and not the entire ring, or the
: Control Room.

Agreed. Some of the particular text eluded me. The installation refers to the Cartographer island itself.

: The *Ark* is isolated, but on the Ark, the Cartographer is not isolated.
: Presumably free access to all resources on each ring was also not
: intended, any more than any access whatsoever to the Ark was intended.

Presumably anyone with access to the Ark is also allowed to access the cartographer (even though to actually activate the device itself would have required a Forerunner or Reclaimer to do so), so there's some security. You don't stumble upon the Ark by accident.

: If the designers considered the portal and the Ark's own geographical
: location to be sufficient security, they would not have also locked the
: door-- but they did, and that door requires 343GS to open it for us.

That's puzzling from a fictional standpoint...you'd think Reclaimers could easily walk through. Then again, we know that in that building Guilty Spark had come under scrutiny when accessing a Terminal so even Spark had to hack the door. That may have been a recent change and not relected the actual security of the cartographer building normally.

Form a gameplay standpoint, locked doors allows room for exposition, deliberate pathing, pace, and so on. We might not be able to find a pleasing fictional explanation, but I can understand a few gameplay reasons for the locked doors. You could always fly in to the cartographer itself from the waterfall side unobstructed.

My HBO Articles

Message Index

Replies:

I made a few quick comparison shots:The Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:01 a.m.
     Cool!Revenant1988 6/9/11 10:03 a.m.
     Very nicePsychoRaven 6/9/11 10:04 a.m.
     Very, very nice *NM*ElzarTheBam 6/9/11 10:08 a.m.
     SuggestionWayward Spleen™ 6/9/11 10:10 a.m.
           Re: SuggestionThe Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:27 a.m.
     Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 10:16 a.m.
           Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:The Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:26 a.m.
                 Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 10:29 a.m.
                       Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:The Alpha ELite 6/9/11 10:39 a.m.
           Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Shishka 6/9/11 11:59 a.m.
                 Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 12:14 p.m.
                       Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:mnemesis 6/9/11 12:25 p.m.
                             Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 12:41 p.m.
                                   Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:mnemesis 6/9/11 1:04 p.m.
                                         Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Shishka 6/9/11 1:41 p.m.
                                               Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Miguel Chavez 6/9/11 9:46 p.m.
                                   Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:DMFanella 6/9/11 1:30 p.m.
                                         Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Beckx 6/9/11 1:32 p.m.
                                               Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:DMFanella 6/9/11 1:45 p.m.
                                               Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:KP 6/9/11 5:01 p.m.
                                                     I will pull this forum overGeneral Vagueness 6/9/11 6:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: I will pull this forum overShishka 6/9/11 7:30 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I will pull this forum overGeneral Vagueness 6/9/11 8:24 p.m.
                 No Bioshocking.Narcogen 6/10/11 3:11 a.m.
     Noodlie ElitesCapt Spanish 6/9/11 10:26 a.m.
     Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:Leviathan 6/9/11 10:35 a.m.
           Something looks wrong with The Silent CartographerRyanTheHeretic 6/9/11 11:38 a.m.
                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/9/11 12:33 p.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograbluerunner 6/9/11 12:53 p.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograuberfoop 6/9/11 1:01 p.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/9/11 2:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/10/11 3:16 a.m.
                                         Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/10/11 6:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/13/11 12:43 a.m.
                                                     Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/13/11 6:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/13/11 7:16 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/13/11 3:31 p.m.
                       Because everyone does it.uberfoop 6/9/11 12:58 p.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograLeviathan 6/9/11 2:26 p.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/9/11 3:50 p.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/10/11 3:13 a.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/10/11 6:39 a.m.
                                   Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograLeviathan 6/10/11 11:28 a.m.
                                         Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/10/11 2:07 p.m.
                                               Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograGeneral Vagueness 6/10/11 5:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/13/11 12:51 a.m.
                                         Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/13/11 7:31 a.m.
                                               Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/14/11 2:14 a.m.
                                                     Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/14/11 8:15 a.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograLouis Wu 6/14/11 9:25 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/14/11 10:51 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograGeneral Vagueness 6/14/11 12:51 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograuberfoop 6/14/11 1:52 p.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograRockslider 6/14/11 10:38 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/14/11 11:07 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/15/11 2:51 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/15/11 7:00 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/15/11 2:47 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/15/11 6:58 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/17/11 2:13 a.m.
                                                           Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/15/11 2:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/15/11 6:55 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograNarcogen 6/17/11 2:17 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograuberfoop 6/17/11 3:09 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograStephen L. (SoundEffect) 6/17/11 6:47 a.m.
                       dittoscarab 6/10/11 4:19 a.m.
                       Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent Cartograurk 6/17/11 11:32 a.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograFyreWulff 6/17/11 11:40 a.m.
                             Re: Something looks wrong with The Silent CartograChewbeccawacca 6/17/11 1:53 p.m.
     Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:zerowind117 6/9/11 3:45 p.m.
           Re: I made a few quick comparison shots:ghost faction 6/15/11 10:08 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.