Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Geez... why the negative spin?
Posted By: ferrexDate: 4/17/02 1:03 p.m.

In Response To: Yeah... Kinda (Mr. Zarquon)

This is good news.

: MS wants DirectX to be THE gaming API set, that is the purpose of the XBox
: IMHO. To make it more and more desirable to game programmers to use
: directx. The problem is, microsoft's purpose is to stay alive and make
: money. In the short term, getting every OS able to run direct X games may
: weaken their sales for a bit, but it increases the installed base of
: Gaming companies that are comfortable with and now dependent on DirectX.
: They have too much money invested in DirectX programming to not Jump when
: MS says Jump. So they get suckered in, buy in, thinking this is an sweet
: deal, and then blam! The fastest / newest / spiffiest features that they
: want to implement, that their customers are demanding, they only know how
: to do so in DirectX. And DirectX version 12, which for some reason, has
: yet to be ported to MacOS, which has yet to be ported to Linux, etc. So by
: being cutting edge, they have gotten themselves entirely dependent on MS.

First off, DirectX's development is being driven by the developers. The new features in the API are features that have been requested by developers. While it is easy and, for some, comfortable to think that Microsoft is this malevolent corporation that exists for the sole purpose of screwing people, the truth is that they pay attention to their 3rd party developers and work with them wherever possible.

Currently, the Mac platform relies on OpenGL. Certainly, it's a capable graphics API. However, has already fallen behind DirectX in capabilities, and DX is continuing to develop faster than OpenGL. You're worried about MS not porting DX12 to the Mac, leaving them with DX8 or 9? Well the Mac is already facing that "left behind" scenario.

And provided there is no legal objection from Microsoft to this UK company (I'm sure we'll find out within a few days), this company will likely continue to upgrade MacDX in step with Microsoft. And worst case, MS prevent them from doing so and prevents developers from using MacDX. What's the worst that can happen? Mac developers go back to OpenGL, no worse off than before. It isn't so difficult to learn and use a different API that the industry would be appreciably affected by such a move.

: But yeah! I can play more games... I'll just have to deal with the
: bittersweat taste in my mouth when I do so.

I'd happily take this over the sour taste in my mouth when I see new PC titles released every month, and Mac ports of them follow six months later, if at all.

-rex

Message Index

Replies:

Big News!! - DirectX for Macintosh!Miguel Chavez 4/17/02 11:19 a.m.
     Yeah... KindaMr. Zarquon 4/17/02 11:56 a.m.
           Geez... why the negative spin?ferrex 4/17/02 1:03 p.m.
                 Because, I am.Mr. Zarquon 4/17/02 1:10 p.m.
                 Re: Geez... why the negative spin?Kanen Faud'r 4/17/02 1:26 p.m.
                 Re: Geez... why the negative spin?PCDestroyer 4/17/02 2:32 p.m.
                       Re: Geez... why the negative spin?Mark Levin 4/17/02 3:07 p.m.
                             Carmack...Miguel Chavez 4/17/02 3:22 p.m.
                                   Re: Carmack...ferrex 4/17/02 7:08 p.m.
                                         Re: Carmack...Mr. Zarquon 4/17/02 9:31 p.m.
                             Re: Geez... why the negative spin?PCDestroyer 4/17/02 3:45 p.m.
                       Re: Geez... why the negative spin?ferrex 4/17/02 7:02 p.m.
                             Re: Geez... why the negative spin?PCDestroyer 4/18/02 9:57 a.m.
                       Why PCDestroyer is a mental midget LONGGGGGGprotexts 4/18/02 4:46 a.m.
                             Re: Why PCDestroyer is a mental midget LONGGGGGGPCDestroyer 4/18/02 10:11 a.m.
                                   Re: Why PCDestroyer is offprotexts 4/18/02 2:11 p.m.
                                         Make a 1AC!123456789 4/19/02 11:47 a.m.
                             Why PCDestroyer is NOT a mental midgetkiro69 4/18/02 11:19 a.m.
                                   Re: Speak for yourself there, parnter...Lophan 4/18/02 12:09 p.m.
                                   Re: Why PCDestroyer is NOT a mental midgetprotexts 4/18/02 2:30 p.m.
                                         Re: Why PCDestroyer is NOT a mental midgetPCDestroyer 4/18/02 4:37 p.m.
                                               The place where your whole argument falls down...Louis Wu 4/18/02 4:54 p.m.
                                                     Re: The place where your whole argument falls downPCDestroyer 4/18/02 5:04 p.m.
                                                           Ack.Louis Wu 4/18/02 5:16 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Ack.PCDestroyer 4/18/02 5:45 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Ack.protexts 4/18/02 9:34 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Ack.kiro69 4/19/02 10:36 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Ack.Louis Wu 4/19/02 10:54 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Ack.protexts 4/19/02 10:01 p.m.
                                                           As I said before, I agree.123456789 4/19/02 5:36 p.m.
                                               Re: Why PCDestroyer is NOT a mental midgetprotexts 4/19/02 5:38 a.m.
                                   Re: Why PCDestroyer is NOT a mental midgetPCDestroyer 4/18/02 4:26 p.m.
                       awesome reply, pcd *NM*kiro69 4/18/02 10:43 a.m.
                       Re: Quick note...Lophan 4/18/02 12:38 p.m.
                             Re: Quick note...PCDestroyer 4/18/02 4:40 p.m.
                                   Re: Quick note...Warbow 4/18/02 4:42 p.m.
                                         Re: Quick note...PCDestroyer 4/18/02 4:57 p.m.
                                               Re: Let's look at this a little closer...Lophan 4/19/02 12:24 a.m.
                                                     Re: Let's look at this a little closer...PCDestroyer 4/19/02 10:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: Let's look at this a little closer...vector40 4/19/02 9:03 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Then again, theoretically...Lophan 4/20/02 12:13 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Then again, theoretically...vector40 4/20/02 1:12 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Then again, theoretically...PCDestroyer 4/21/02 6:27 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Then again, theoretically...protexts 4/20/02 5:15 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Then again, theoretically...vector40 4/20/02 4:09 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Then again, theoretically...PCDestroyer 4/21/02 6:24 p.m.
                                                                             Implementation and Stealingprotexts 4/22/02 3:24 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Implementation and StealingAida-kun 4/22/02 5:15 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Implementation and StealingPCDestroyer 4/22/02 9:56 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Implementation and Stealingprotexts 4/22/02 2:45 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Implementation and StealingPCDestroyer 4/22/02 9:49 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Implementation and Stealingprotexts 4/22/02 3:05 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Implementation and StealingPCDestroyer 4/22/02 8:34 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Implementation and Stealingkiro69 4/23/02 10:35 a.m.
           I agree123456789 4/17/02 3:19 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.