Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Lol you're funny
Posted By: Avateur <avateur@gmail.com>Date: 10/29/09 2:22 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Lol you're funny (Lord Osiris)

: I respect where you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree. Bungie does
: not oversee the creation of every Halo game, they just oversee their own.
: Microsoft, on the other hand (being the publisher and IP holder,),
: oversees everything.

I know. And guess what. Bungie has overseen their own, aka every single Halo game except for Halo Wars. The Halo Story Bible? Literally Bungie's. The concept behind Halo? Literally Bungie's. Microsoft is just as you said, a publisher. Period. Now they're the IP holder, and even then, they didn't make ODST and they very clearly are not making Reach. In other words, Bungie is STILL the end all be all decider of what is or is not canon in their universe (aside from Halo Wars, which already had multiple issues with canon) until 343 officially puts out its own game. And please note that I am not referring to novels or anything else right now, just the games, especially since Bungie is retconning many things from the novels to suit the way they, the actual literal end all be all creators of Halo, perceive the way the story and universe should be or is.

: It is true that the Halo Bible is ever expanding, but there is always a
: reason they give us a part of a story and then not tell us more
: information about why it happened that way. I am sure there is a canonical
: explanation to all of the problems you outlined, but it just so happens
: that we may not have all of the issues explained fully. Why do this, you
: say? Because it gives us a chance to discover something later that we
: probably wouldn't have understood in the first place. Sometimes, granted,
: it is a design problem or need to cut something from the game. Just think
: back to Halo 1, our "Holy Grail" of Halo story. Design decisions
: such as not letting us drive wraiths or use energy swords and then
: magically being able to do both of those things and jack vehicles in Halo
: 2. The design decision behind that? MC got a new suit- and that's the only
: reason I've ever heard to explain those changes. Similar to Halo Wars.

It's called suspension of reality/suspension of belief in order for gameplay purposes. Period. Canonically, sure, it could be explained via the new armor, or it could be explained the way Joseph Staten explained how ODSTs can lug around turrets in ODST: for fun. Period. End of story. Gameplay dynamics do not necessarily conform to canon. My post on Halo Wars specifically targeted story and universe inaccuracies. And by the way, Halo Wars, produced by Ensemble, most likely never even got to look at whatever literal physical Halo Story Bible Bungie actually had. Maybe some bits and pieces, but probably not enough. So whatever is or isn't left out so as to make room for change or anything in the future, that was Bungie's own intent for Bungie's own purposes, probably not forseeing a departure from Microsoft dating all the way back to even 2003. Those gaps were not purposely left there for other companies to expand upon originally, and probably weren't put there for others to play around with even now.

: Design choices in that game led to the "canonical
: inconsistencies" that you believe to be there. I am just saying if we
: looked at the other games and we would see things that are inconsistent
: between them, and we never really bitched about them then. Wait till the
: Full HW story is there and then decide if you see "canonical
: inconsistencies" there. Although I think that every piece of story in
: every piece of media is canon (save the Halo animes, as I haven't seen
: them yet, so I cannot make judgement,) I believe that there are
: inconsistencies-we just haven't had everything explained fully to us.

And design has nothing to do with slipspace or how Onyx was being taught in the little Halo Wars graphic novel or anything. I outlined very specifically citing other reference material (that, if retconned, was retconned by Ensemble or Microsoft, not Bungie, the source of most of this), or was completely overlooked during development of Halo Wars and thus failed to conform to the realities that we know about how long it takes to travel through slipspace, etc. Basically, I don't care about Halo Wars 2 or the end result of the story. My focus was on that game itself and what it got wrong or overlooked.

This is why, in my opinion (<- disclaimer) Bungie is the end all be all until 343 produces its own stuff and proves that they can do just as clean a job while respecting past material and taking it all into account. Oh, and I think you have too much faith in Microsoft. They only care about the IP in regards to money and making more of it, not in how consistent it is with everything Bungie laid out (especially if Frankie or others didn't get to actually take the Halo Story Bible and whatever is written within when 343 got started). All of that is Bungie's, and I honestly would love to know what Jason Jones or others might think as they see Halo move in a direction that may be completely awesome and successful, but not what they intended or pictured. That's the real canon there.

But alas, after Reach it's time to move on and start some new canon. Canon that, ideally, will always be Bungie's, or if sold won't get touched (Marathon, for example. Though Marty said that Bungie got Marathon back! Woo!). Outside entities and their visions of someone else's intellectual property most likely will never meet what was originally thought up or intended by the creators. Hell, I wonder what Alex Seropian thinks about where Halo went. Man, that would be some fun stuff. But yeah, I went a tad off-topic. I can't wait to see what 343 does, but Halo Wars is hardly a shining example of canon, especially when every other Halo game out there is from the actual creators and [TRUE] owners of the IP, whether Microsoft bought it or obtained it via freedom-deal or not.

Message Index

Replies:

Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingrolandk73 10/28/09 4:27 p.m.
     Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingsharpsniper99 10/28/09 4:42 p.m.
           Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingrolandk73 10/28/09 4:45 p.m.
                 Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingSonofMacPhisto 10/28/09 4:50 p.m.
                       Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingBry 10/28/09 5:07 p.m.
                             Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingbluerunner 10/28/09 6:43 p.m.
                                   Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingGeneral Vagueness 10/28/09 7:00 p.m.
                                         Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/28/09 8:29 p.m.
                                               Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingSilent Knight 10/29/09 6:43 a.m.
                                         Me too!!! *NM*mendicantbias00 11/3/09 1:23 p.m.
           Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingFyreWulff 10/28/09 9:39 p.m.
     Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingYNation913 10/28/09 4:46 p.m.
           Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingrolandk73 10/28/09 4:50 p.m.
                 Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingYNation913 10/28/09 4:54 p.m.
     Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonLord Osiris 10/28/09 7:56 p.m.
           Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonCody Miller 10/28/09 9:11 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonCasimir 10/28/09 9:50 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonThorsHammer 10/29/09 9:12 a.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonGeneral Vagueness 10/29/09 10:36 a.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonLouis Wu 10/29/09 11:31 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonCody Miller 10/29/09 11:35 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonGeneral Vagueness 10/29/09 12:30 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonThorsHammer 10/30/09 9:03 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonGeneral Vagueness 10/30/09 9:32 a.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonThorsHammer 11/1/09 4:08 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonMiguel Chavez 10/31/09 1:29 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonYNation913 10/31/09 4:24 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonOmega 11/1/09 12:57 a.m.
                                   Thank you!Miguel Chavez 11/2/09 12:49 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonCody Miller 11/2/09 1:00 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonGeneral Vagueness 11/2/09 1:21 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonEiii 11/2/09 4:52 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonLeviathan 11/2/09 1:34 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonStephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/2/09 2:46 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars=NOT a Bad Game, COMPLETELY CanonAndrew Nagy 11/1/09 4:17 p.m.
           Lol you're funnyAvateur 10/28/09 10:12 p.m.
                 Re: Lol you're funnyLord Osiris 10/28/09 11:48 p.m.
                       Re: Lol you're funnyAvateur 10/29/09 2:22 a.m.
                             Re: Lol you're funnyLord Osiris 10/29/09 3:49 a.m.
                                   Re: Lol you're funnyAvateur 10/29/09 4:26 a.m.
                                         Re: Lol you're funnyLord Osiris 10/29/09 5:25 a.m.
                                   Re: Lol you're funnyBry 10/29/09 4:33 a.m.
                                         Re: Lol you're funnyAvateur 10/29/09 5:25 a.m.
                                               Re: Lol you're funnyBry 10/29/09 8:30 a.m.
                                                     Re: Lol you're funnyAvateur 10/29/09 2:56 p.m.
                                   Re: Lol you're funnyBernard Strauss 10/29/09 11:57 a.m.
                 Re: Lol you're funnyFrankie 10/29/09 3:36 p.m.
                       Re: Lol you're funnyGeneral Vagueness 10/29/09 4:01 p.m.
                             Re: Lol you're funnyPhoenix_9286 10/29/09 5:51 p.m.
                       Re: Lol you're funnyYNation913 10/29/09 6:04 p.m.
                       Re: Lol you're funnyAvateur 10/29/09 9:17 p.m.
                       When life gives you canon, make cannonadeNarcogen 10/29/09 10:55 p.m.
                             Re: When life gives you canon, make cannonadeStephen L. (SoundEffect) 10/30/09 6:40 a.m.
                                   BUT MAKE SURE THE CANNONADE IS SWEET. PLZ.AngelicLionheart 11/3/09 6:20 p.m.
     Re: Why Halo Wars being bad is a wonderful thingreprobate 10/29/09 1:10 a.m.
     But Halo Wars Isn't Bad... *NM*Morpheus 10/29/09 12:28 p.m.
     Halo Wars is not a Halo Game. Move along people *NM*MasterChief2829 11/1/09 1:33 a.m.
           Of course it is. *NM*Ragashingo 11/1/09 1:02 a.m.
                 Really? This Again?Lord Osiris 11/1/09 1:40 a.m.
                 rabble rabble rabbleZaneZavin 11/1/09 1:42 a.m.
           Troll *NM*Metalingus627 11/1/09 3:25 a.m.
           QQ moar. *NM*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 11/1/09 9:22 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.