/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...
Posted By: GodotDate: 6/18/12 9:51 a.m.

In Response To: Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova... (Philtron)

: Are you kidding me? The entire visual language of the image is telling us
: that this isn't an arm being ripped apart.

: That's not four pieces of an arm; it's one arm at four different stages of
: construction. You're scrolling through the four images from left to right
: and as you do the arm becomes bigger and more complex in its structure.
: This implies that we're watching a progression of growth. It's like four
: frames in an animation.

: So how do we know that those are four images and not four pieces in one
: image?

Interesting interpretation. Back in Mar 17, 1997 Randig (ydnar) Reddig (the creator of the Final Screen graphic) asked me the following question on IRC:

ydnar: hamish

ydnar: can you identify the plant in the final screen?

The conversation that followed was rather bizarre and to this day I still don't fully understand its significance. I posted the whole transcript on the What's New section and that's where it has stayed and no doubt has been lost and overlooked over the years. It certainly received little or no discussion at the time it was posted.

Perhaps someone might have an epiphany when reading this now. I have posted the whole thing below.

ydnar: hamish

ydnar: can you identify the plant in the final screen?

Godot: yeah

Godot: plant?

ydnar: yeah

Godot: canabis?

ydnar: nope.

ydnar: :)

Godot: Randy: you mean the bamboo pen?

ydnar: it's not bamboo

ydnar: that's a cross section sketch of a stem

Godot: looks like a bamboo

Godot: no mistaking it

ydnar: nope.

ydnar: want to know?

Godot: the far right one is the tip of a Japanese writing brush/pen

ydnar:

ydnar: they're all sketches of one particular plant

Godot: ok what's the planet?

Godot: err.. plant

ydnar: earth

Godot: :-)

ydnar: magnolia

Godot: gimme a break

ydnar: ::raising eyebrow::

Godot: what's the third drawing?

Godot: before the arm

ydnar: hmm..

ydnar: don't have the picture up

ydnar: what's it look like

Godot: the tip of a Japanese writing brush/pen

Godot: has a bamboo like notch

Godot: the hairs are tied together in the form of a brush

Godot: that's what it looks like to me

ydnar: ah

ydnar: the base of the magnolia bud

Godot: the stem looks just like a bamboo stem IMHO

ydnar: ::nod::

ydnar: it's similar

Godot: if you slice it, it would look exactly like that

Godot: so what's the significance of the magnolia?

ydnar: birth

ydnar: what's the first picture?

Godot: looked like creation to me

Godot: magnolia = birth?

ydnar: the seed

ydnar: it progresses

ydnar: from seed to stem to flower

Godot: why does magnolia signify birth?

Godot: <-- not into flowers much

ydnar: that's all i'm going to say..

ydnar: hehe

ydnar: it's hardly a flower

ydnar: that particular one was 30 feet high

Apparently this particular flower grows in Alexandria (in the US) and this also has some bearing on the matter. I'm not absolutely positive but I think Randy originally hailed from there or lived there.

Ah the mysteries that are the Marathon's Story.

Cheers
Hamish

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 10:09 a.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/10/12 10:54 a.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 2:04 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/13/12 9:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 11:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Blayne 6/15/12 9:29 p.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 2:59 p.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 3:35 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 8:07 p.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 9:51 p.m.
                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 7:22 a.m.
                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/14/12 8:54 a.m.
                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/14/12 9:36 a.m.
                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 5:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 6:59 a.m.
                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 1:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 2:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 2:56 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 3:55 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/18/12 9:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 5:48 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 6:30 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/18/12 9:51 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 12:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/19/12 9:58 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/20/12 1:47 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/20/12 3:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/21/12 3:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/21/12 3:19 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...treellama 6/18/12 7:59 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.