/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 6/13/12 2:59 p.m.

In Response To: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova... (PerseusSpartacus)

PerseusSpartacus, you can't just pick and choose facts to support whatever theory you've concocted, and then ignore anything that disagrees with your theory. By the time Infinity ends it has become absurdly obvious that you are a cyborg. There's evidence like, level titles (Rise Robot Rise), hints in terminals, the fact that every AI is obsessed with you and no other human (even Blake doesn't get the attention you do), Infinity's final screen, and meta information such as the easter egg term on "Abandoned Rental Trucks" where you are flat out called a cyborg (<20% machine). You're a cyborg.

Now that doesn't mean you can't still be called a human, right? So the phrase, "only human survivors" could still mean you died on Lh'owen, right? Well there's two counters to this. One, you might not be considered a survivor if you're alive but still enslaved by Durandal. Two, for all we know it could have taken Blake and his men hundreds of years to travel back to Earth on the Hfarl. Keep in mind that the Hfarl was a refueling ship and may not have been that fast; it took Durandal 16 (?) years to find Lh'owen from Tau Ceti; it took the Marathon over three hundred years to travel from Earth to Tau Ceti; and Lh'owen is really really far away from Earth (practically half way across the galaxy, see PIC on Waterloo Waterpark). So, it's entirely possible that it took the Hfarl anywhere from a decade to several hundred years to reach Earth and during that time you could have died on some other adventure, away from Lh'owen.

Now as for your other idea. There is just no evidence that Infinity takes place in the after life or some land of the dead. Absolutely nothing points to this as being true. Not only that but the theory is completely unhelpful. It doesn't help answer any questions in the Marathon series, and it actually creates more questions that complicate things. Not only are there the questions you yourself asked, but there's also the question of what happens at the end of Infinity? If you're in the afterlife and Infinity ends does that mean the afterlife ends? And what is happening when you die in Infinity/after life? None of it makes sense, and it's not how critical analysis works.

Allow me to demonstrate:
"Hey guys, I've got a new theory! What if you are playing as Bernhard Strauss all along?! It changes the perspective on so many things. In M1, when Durandal sends you to the Pfhor ship to "look for Bernard" he's just taunting you, giving you a dangerous task that you both know has no point and no chance of success. When he says something like, "there's no sign of Bernard", he's deriding you, telling you that you're worthless and now that you're under his power you might as well not exist. He's getting his revenge for what you did to him before M1.

And this theory fits really well with Infinity. Why do we keep going through failed timelines? It's because they are simulations we are forced to go through by Durandal with no chance of success. Everything is meant to torture you: the constant failure, the confusion, the difficult to navigate dream levels, the backtracking if you go to the wrong spot on Electric Sheep, the constantly shifting factions, and the missions where you murder human after human. Finally though, Durandal relents and grants you peace from this cycle of failure, presumably right before the closure of the universe. Can Durandal do this? Of course. He once bragged about being able to predict the movement of every atom in a cloud of hydrogen, or something like that. He could easily simulate a universe just to torment his former tormentor."

See what happened there? The theory is interesting, it put a new perspective on things, and answered many questions. But it also ignored the dozen pieces of evidence pointing to how the player is not Bernard Strauss.

You have to let the facts shape the theory, not the other way around.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 10:09 a.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/10/12 10:54 a.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 2:04 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/13/12 9:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 11:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Blayne 6/15/12 9:29 p.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 2:59 p.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 3:35 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 8:07 p.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 9:51 p.m.
                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 7:22 a.m.
                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/14/12 8:54 a.m.
                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/14/12 9:36 a.m.
                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 5:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 6:59 a.m.
                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 1:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 2:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 2:56 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 3:55 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/18/12 9:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 5:48 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 6:30 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/18/12 9:51 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 12:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/19/12 9:58 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/20/12 1:47 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/20/12 3:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/21/12 3:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/21/12 3:19 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...treellama 6/18/12 7:59 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.