/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 6/17/12 3:55 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova... (listener)

@listener

"Once I thought to escape. To end the end a master, to step out of the path of collapse. Escape would make us god."

You're right, that never happened... to the new Durandal. Keep in mind that the new Durandal-S'pht entity refers to itself in plural form. From Aye Mak Sicur: "To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul." So the "us" most likely refers to Durandal-S'pht since earlier the "I" refers to the Durandal who thought he could escape.

So, it is made clear that Durandal-S'pht does not escape, without revealing the fate of the Marine. Also, it does establish the idea that by escaping the death of the universe one might become god.

Also, "to end the end a master", could be a way of saying "to kill death and be the one in control", an idea relating to "Strange Aeons" (phrase in Lovecraft poem and a level in M:Infinity), and is an interpretation I think I saw someone make somewhere on the Story Pages.

"You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern."

: The SO followed the infinite pattern, one where the strongest command
: their... 'Troops'

First, you do not FOLLOW THE infinite pattern. You follow THE PATH. Little differences like that can be crucial. Secondly, where in the world are you getting this idea of an infinite pattern where the strongest command their "troops"? I don't even understand what that's supposed to mean, let alone how you'd come to that conclusion.

It's important to note that in that preceding sentence the subject is "you" and the object is "the path". There is a second object, "the pattern", but based on the structure of the compound sentence, is not as important. We need to understand that for the next sentence:

"Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild."

That sentence directly relates to the previous. The subject is still "you" and the primary object is still "the path". So, "you" are the one manipulating, destroying, and rebuilding, but it is "the path" that is being manipulated, destroyed, and rebuilt. You can't just say this sentence refers to the Pfhor, or anything else, because grammatically it can only refer to "you" and "the path" (or potentially "you" and "the pattern" but this is less likely).

So, let's look at some of these again:

"Once I thought... to step out of the path of collapse."
"You follow the path..."
"Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild." (Might allude to "Eat The Path", something someone pointed out on the Story pages I think.)
"You follow the path, fitting into an infinite pattern."

So "the path" in all of this is "the path of collapse". Durandal's strategy was to escape the path and get out of it. However, he/they wasn't able to. Your strategy was to follow the path of collapse and by doing so you have managed to fit into a pattern that goes on forever. What pattern goes on forever? Birth, Life, Death, Birth, Life, Death? Time, time, time, time? The big bang, the collapse, the big bang, the collapse? Whatever the case, "fitting into an infinite pattern" implies that the Marine has found a way to become a part of the eternal cycle of realities, the universe's eternal creation, destruction, and rebirth. The "Yours to manipulate..." refers to your ability to manipulate the infinite pattern of the universe or your ability to manipulate the path of collapse. Most likely it refers to manipulating the path of collapse (which is the plot of M:Infinity), but either way is a result of the Marines ability to travel through alternate timelines. Because of that ability, the final result of events is the Marine's decision. No matter what anyone else does, events will only become cemented in time once the Marine decides to stop manipulating the path. No one can escape the Marine's decision. No one can escape the pattern of events you have decided on. "You are Destiny."

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 10:09 a.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/10/12 10:54 a.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 2:04 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/13/12 9:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 11:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Blayne 6/15/12 9:29 p.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 2:59 p.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 3:35 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 8:07 p.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 9:51 p.m.
                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 7:22 a.m.
                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/14/12 8:54 a.m.
                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/14/12 9:36 a.m.
                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 5:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 6:59 a.m.
                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 1:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 2:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 2:56 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 3:55 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/18/12 9:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 5:48 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 6:30 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/18/12 9:51 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 12:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/19/12 9:58 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/20/12 1:47 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/20/12 3:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/21/12 3:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/21/12 3:19 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...treellama 6/18/12 7:59 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.