/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...
Posted By: PerseusSpartacusDate: 6/10/12 10:09 a.m.

The End Screen of M2 talks about Robert Blake:

Robert Blake and his men escaped the destruction of Lh'owon in the captured Pfhor refueling ship Hfarl, and returned to Earth. None of them ever questioned who had killed the crew before they boarded the vessel.

They were the only human survivors of the original Tau Ceti colony.

People have interpreted the last line ("They were the only human survivors of the original Tau Ceti colony.") to mean that we're not human - in other words, that we're a cyborg. However, I'd like to propose my own really weird interpretation of that line.

Suppose we are human. Then, that means that we must not count as a survivor. Wait, how does that work? Surely we can't be dead. Or maybe we could be? Suppose this: we complete 'All Roads Lead To Sol'. Lh'owon's sun is going nova. We teleport to a S'pht ship preparing to leave Lh'owon (not the captured Khfiva, which Durandal is in). However, the ship doesn't leave quite soon enough, and is destroyed in the nova. We are dead.

But wait, we're alive in Marathon Infinity, aren't we? Maybe, maybe not. Notice how weird things get in Marathon Infinity. People think it has something to do with the Jjaro tech in our brain getting messed with by the W'rkncacnter. However, I think it's just because we're dead. As Hamlet says, "To die to sleep, to sleep, perchance to Dream; Ay, there's the rub, for in that sleep of death, what dreams may come, when we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause." ;)

So, we are dead, and now everything is dream-like. But why? Why Lh'owon? Why do we relive the same thing over and over again, kind of like in the film 'Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead'? What purpose is there? Perhaps we're meant to be searching for something. The Tru7h, perhaps?

I'm not sure exactly where to go with all this, but it is interesting to see how one little quote can change the meaning of a whole game - this rarely happens with games like Halo, Half-Life or StarCraft. Not only that, but it can solve all of the contradictions between M2 and Infinity.

Now, maybe you guys can brainstorm something fun out of my theory? Just a thought.

Cheers,
PerseusSpartacus

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 10:09 a.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/10/12 10:54 a.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 2:04 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/13/12 9:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 11:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Blayne 6/15/12 9:29 p.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 2:59 p.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 3:35 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 8:07 p.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 9:51 p.m.
                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 7:22 a.m.
                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/14/12 8:54 a.m.
                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/14/12 9:36 a.m.
                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 5:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 6:59 a.m.
                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 1:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 2:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 2:56 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 3:55 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/18/12 9:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 5:48 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 6:30 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/18/12 9:51 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 12:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/19/12 9:58 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/20/12 1:47 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/20/12 3:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/21/12 3:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/21/12 3:19 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...treellama 6/18/12 7:59 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.