/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 6/14/12 7:22 a.m.

In Response To: Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova... (PerseusSpartacus)

: IMHO, nothing actually inside the Marathon games contradicts my theory

Actually the entire series contradicts your theory, you just don't seem to understand how proper analysis works. You say that there is vague evidence that we're dead, but there isn't. In your first post your only two pieces of evidence for us being dead is "Maybe we're not alive in Infinity" a question based on no facts, and "things get weird in Infinity" which is irrelevant to your theory. You have to start with facts and evidence, not with hypothetical situations.

Your Descartes example is also irrelevant because 1) nothing anywhere in the Marathon series indicates that a demon (or anyone) is casting an illusion on us, 2) even if we did have an illusion cast on is, it would still mean we're alive because only living things can be subject to subterfuge, and 3) even if we only think we're moving, we're still alive because only living things can think. Again, you can't just say, "Maybe we're human, and maybe we're dead" and then make up facts and hypothetical situations to fit that theory. I mean, your first post started with, "Suppose we are human"; your theory starts with a supposition that has no foundation in evidence. You have to start with "Here's the evidence that we could be human," and then you can go, "So, considering all of that, suppose we are human".

Your post shows that despite everything I've told you you're still ignoring the facts. 1) You say the W'rk doesn't appear in the M2 timeline, but you have no evidence of that; it doesn't appear in the M2 game, that's true, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't appear in the timeline after the game is over. 2) You say we teleport to a ship other than Durandal's, but again that's just a fact you made up out of thin air; there is no indication anywhere in the games that you end up on the wrong ship; and it creates even more questions, "Why did you end up on the wrong ship?", etc. When there are holes in your theory you can't just make up hypotheticals to fill in those holes.

: : However I have to again stress, if you're going to analyze a story...
: : you can only speculate on what the authors tell you, whether within the text or outside the text

: Not true! Look at the Original Level Names sections for both Marathon and
: Pathways into Darkness . I'm sure nobody at Bungie or Double Aught
: expected us to find such things.

Again, you apparently don't understand what I'm saying. Your example doesn't disagree with me because whether the authors expected us to find such things is irrelevant. Those original level names ARE information the authors are giving us from outside the normal text of the game. However, because they are OUTSIDE the normal text of the game, and because the authors probably didn't expect us to find them, we cannot assume they have anything to do with the canonical narrative. We can however use that information to investigate what the authors' original intentions might have been.

I really shouldn't have needed to use that quote at the end, because everything within the games contradicts your theory, and you don't need to do much digging to realize that.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 10:09 a.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/10/12 10:54 a.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 2:04 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/13/12 9:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 11:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Blayne 6/15/12 9:29 p.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 2:59 p.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 3:35 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 8:07 p.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 9:51 p.m.
                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 7:22 a.m.
                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/14/12 8:54 a.m.
                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/14/12 9:36 a.m.
                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 5:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 6:59 a.m.
                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 1:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 2:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 2:56 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 3:55 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/18/12 9:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 5:48 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 6:30 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/18/12 9:51 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 12:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/19/12 9:58 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/20/12 1:47 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/20/12 3:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/21/12 3:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/21/12 3:19 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...treellama 6/18/12 7:59 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.