/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...
Posted By: PerseusSpartacusDate: 6/13/12 3:35 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova... (Philtron)

: One, you might not be considered a survivor if you're alive but still enslaved by Durandal.

Wait, what does that have to do with not being a survivor? I'd still be a survivor if I was enslaved by Durandal, wouldn't I?

: Two, for all we know it could have taken Blake and his men hundreds of years to travel back to Earth on the Hfarl. Keep in mind that the Hfarl was a refueling ship and may not have been that fast; it took Durandal 16 (?) years to find Lh'owen from Tau Ceti; it took the Marathon over three hundred years to travel from Earth to Tau Ceti; and Lh'owen is really really far away from Earth (practically half way across the galaxy, see PIC on Waterloo Waterpark). So, it's entirely possible that it took the Hfarl anywhere from a decade to several hundred years to reach Earth and during that time you could have died on some other adventure, away from Lh'owen.

The phrase "They were the only survivors of the original Tau Ceti colony" doesn't say anything about dates. It's ambiguous as to when they become the only survivors. At some point, they die, and then there are no survivors. The ambiguity of time in that last phrase doesn't necessarily shoot down what you said, but it doesn't make it fact either.

: Now as for your other idea. There is just no evidence that Infinity takes place in the after life or some land of the dead. Absolutely nothing points to this as being true. Not only that but the theory is completely unhelpful. It doesn't help answer any questions in the Marathon series, and it actually creates more questions that complicate things. Not only are there the questions you yourself asked, but there's also the question of what happens at the end of Infinity? If you're in the afterlife and Infinity ends does that mean the afterlife ends? And what is happening when you die in Infinity/after life? None of it makes sense, and it's not how critical analysis works.

First, I admit there is no evidence within Infinity that we are dead, at least from what I can tell. However, I don't see any evidence that we are not dead.

Second, it actually does resolve the discontinuity between M2 and Infinity; people have pointed out how different the timelines of M2 and Infinity are. M2 never mentions the W'rkncacnter aside from the S'pht terminals (Six Thousand Feet Under) - before Infinity came along, one would have been justified to assume that either the trih xeem destroyed the W'rkncacnter, or the W'rkncacnter never existed in the first place. But here we are in Infinity with the W'rkncacnter destroying the M2 timeline (Ne Cede Malis). What? If we are dead, then pretty much any difference between M2 and Infinity would still remain logical. Thus, the differences are resolved.

Third, I don't think Infinity's end is the afterlife's end. Furthermore, we don't know exactly what happens after the universe closes in the afterlife. Maybe we survived until then, but when the universe 'closed', it was like going through a failed timeline in Infinity - we start another alternate universe. Think Groundhog Day, but where each variant of the day is slightly different.

: See what happened there? The theory is interesting, it put a new perspective on things, and answered many questions. But it also ignored the dozen pieces of evidence pointing to how the player is not Bernard Strauss.

My theory is nothing like that. It's an obvious fact that we're not Bernard Strauss. What is not an obvious fact is that we're alive in Infinity. Sure, it's an obvious view, but it's not absolute fact.

Cheers,
PerseusSpartacus

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 10:09 a.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/10/12 10:54 a.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/10/12 2:04 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/13/12 9:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 11:27 a.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Blayne 6/15/12 9:29 p.m.
     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 2:59 p.m.
           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 3:35 p.m.
                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/13/12 8:07 p.m.
                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/13/12 9:51 p.m.
                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 7:22 a.m.
                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/14/12 8:54 a.m.
                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/14/12 9:36 a.m.
                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/14/12 5:38 p.m.
                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 6:59 a.m.
                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 1:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 2:03 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/17/12 2:56 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/17/12 3:55 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...listener 6/18/12 9:21 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/17/12 5:48 p.m.
                                                                             Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 6:30 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/18/12 9:51 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/18/12 12:37 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Godot 6/19/12 9:58 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/20/12 1:47 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/20/12 3:26 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...Philtron 6/21/12 3:06 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...PerseusSpartacus 6/21/12 3:19 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I Don't Think We Survived That Nova...treellama 6/18/12 7:59 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.