Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"
Posted By: Simpsons Rule <SimpsonsRule17@gmail.com>Date: 1/28/11 2:03 p.m.

In Response To: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes" (The Loot)

It has always been my belief that Dietz got it wrong. Take the dialog at the beginning of Keyes:

The Covenant network is in absolute chaos. From what I've been able to piece together, their leadership ordered all ships to abandon Halo when they found the Flood, but they were too late. The Flood overwhelmed this cruiser and disabled it. The Covenant are terrified the Flood will repair the ship and use it to escape from Halo. They've sent in a strike team to neutralize the Flood and repair the ship for immediate departure. I've got a good lock on captain Keyes' CNI transponder signal! He's alive! And the implants are intact! There's some interference from the cruiser's damaged reactor. I'll bring us in as close as I can.

Emphasis added.

Now take a look at the dialog from the beginning of The Truth and Reconciliation:

The enemy has captured Captain Keyes, and are holding him aboard one of their cruisers, the Truth and Reconciliation. The ship is currently holding position approximately three hundred meters above the other end of this plateau.

It makes no sense that Cortana would be unable to identify, by name, a ship that we had previously fought on and around for a large length of time. Some argue that due to the Covenant network being "in absolute chaos," Cortana was unable to identify it, but I don't buy that argument. For one, if Dietz was indeed correct and the ship that Keyes was taken to was The Truth and Reconciliation, I find it extremely difficult to reconcile the condition of the ship as we find it in the level Keyes with the description given by Dietz when Major Silva and his Marines takes the ship into the atmosphere. It has been some time since I've read the book, but I don't believe there's enough time in between the events to allow for the ship to become airborne.

With a search of the forum, I found that I've made this argument several times so I'll just refer to those posts:

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive9.pl?read=248427

Its not quoted but *Spoiler* Mckay and Silva attack the Truth and Reconciliation about the same time that you try to rescue Keyes. Besides it says that all the critical repairs to the Truth and Reconciliation were done and they were waiting to kill all the Flood before leaving Halo. The ship Keyes is on is leaking way too much coolant.

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive25.pl?read=728084

The book confirms the exact opposite [that the Keyes ship and The Truth and Reconciliation are the same]. Major Silva and the rest of the ODSTs assault the Truth and Reconciliation to escape from Halo at the same time that the Chief assaults the unknown ship in the level Keyes. They couldn't possibly have been the same ship, and even in the game it Cortana is unable to find the name of the Cruiser.

The ship Keyes is trapped on is heavily damaged, as evident by the Flood everywhere, the large hole in the Hull of this ship, as well as the leaked coolant. Cortana even says that the ship's engines should've gone critical by that point.

However the Truth and Reconciliation is flight-ready. The only reason the Covenant hadn't left was because they wanted to completely kill all of the Flood on the ship before they went into space, for fear of giving the Flood a working space cruiser.

I don't doubt that Bungie may have used the same model in both levels, but to be true to the story, and especially if there are any discrepancies within the two ships, they are indeed different.

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive25.pl?read=728109

With regards to page 316 and 317. I had no doubt that Major Silva assaulted the Truth and Reconciliation. And there's no way I can deny that it does indeed clearly state Truth and Reconciliation on page 288, however, I will also say that it makes no sense. The Keyes blob was located in the ship's control room, the very same place where Silva and the Engineers went to attempt to drive the cruiser off of Halo. The book makes no mention of Silva encountering the Keyes blob, and the descriptions of the two ships are vastly different. As seen on the level Keyes, that ship is in no way space-ready. There are lakes of coolant leaks and the ship is overrun by Flood. The Truth and Reconciliation is described as ready to take off.

The only reason it hadn't, in fact, was to make sure all of the Flood were killed. But the level on infestation at that point was extremely minimal. In addition to that, the majority of Flood forms were Infection Forms, as seen by the attack on the Control Room of the ship once the Marines had begun to lift off.

It just doesn't match. Besides that timestamp, no where in the section describing the Chief's assault does it say Truth and Reconciliation, however on Major Silva's part, it mentions the cruiser by name several times. I take the Halo books as truth, because I cannot pick and choose the truths that I want to believe, so I'll accept that it is indeed the Truth and Reconciliation, but I don't particularly think it makes much sense.

I feel like there are (were?) people on the forum that strongly believe otherwise, so without an official word from Bungie I don't think we'll ever have a satisfactory answer.

-SR

Message Index

Replies:

Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"The Loot 1/28/11 2:20 a.m.
     Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Narcogen 1/28/11 3:22 a.m.
     Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Bry 1/28/11 3:52 a.m.
           Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Leisandir 1/28/11 8:07 a.m.
                 Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Bry 1/28/11 8:10 a.m.
                       Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"JonnyOThan 1/28/11 2:24 p.m.
                             Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"JonnyOThan 1/28/11 2:26 p.m.
                                   Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"General Vagueness 1/28/11 5:55 p.m.
     Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/28/11 6:51 a.m.
           Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"General Vagueness 1/28/11 12:27 p.m.
                 Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/28/11 12:59 p.m.
     Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Simpsons Rule 1/28/11 2:03 p.m.
           Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Bry 1/28/11 2:57 p.m.
                 Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/28/11 4:21 p.m.
                       Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Bry 1/28/11 4:35 p.m.
                             Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/28/11 5:43 p.m.
                 Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Simpsons Rule 1/28/11 7:06 p.m.
                       Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Bry 1/28/11 7:26 p.m.
                             Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Cthulhu117 1/28/11 7:41 p.m.
                                   Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Cthulhu117 1/28/11 8:04 p.m.
                                         Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Bry 1/28/11 8:15 p.m.
                                               Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"uberfoop 1/28/11 8:35 p.m.
                                                     Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Bry 1/28/11 8:58 p.m.
                                               Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"aloyisus 1/29/11 5:00 a.m.
                                                     Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Leisandir 1/29/11 10:51 a.m.
                                                     Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"The Loot 1/29/11 1:42 p.m.
                                                           Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Bry 1/29/11 1:44 p.m.
                                                     Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Narcogen 1/31/11 2:26 a.m.
                       Re: Reconciling the T&R and the cruiser in "Keyes"Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 1/28/11 10:02 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.