Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Is that your best response?
Posted By: scarabDate: 3/7/10 3:57 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Is that your best response? (Stephen L. (SoundEffect))

: I would make the explicit comparison that to the Covenant in general, humans
: were not placed in any higher regard than ants. They weren't viewed as
: equals and were probably barely acknowledged as sentient.

That is so not a reason to like them. And...

I recognize every Covenant species as sentient and worthy of respect. I believe that the Golden rule applies to them and any dealings that I would have with them.

I do not believe for one second that the Covenant species are unable to recognize us as sentients. They do not mistake us for ants.

They know we have are a technological species, they know our language, can converse with us, and know how we think. They know THAT we think. They understand us enough to trade insults and banter during battle. Some Elites have expressed admiration for us.

The Covenant is a collection of sentients, they are used to meeting aliens and recognizing them as fellow sentients. Any highly intelligent, cooperative, social animal needs to have a theory of mind, the ability to know that another thinks and to guess what another is thinking. You could not have a successful social, technological, cooperative society without that ability. All the Covenant species, except perhaps the Hunters and Drones, fall into the intelligent, social, cooperative category.

I think that everybody knows what I mean when I say intelligent and social. What I mean by cooperative is that they need to act cooperatively in order to get things done. Duh! But its more than just multiple pairs of hands engaged in a task. Its having the ability to negotiate with others. To understand their needs and motivations so that you can influence independent minds to get them to do what you want. (As opposed to an insect society where things are achieved by being of one mind.)

Independent minds are minds that have their own agendas. You need to negotiate with them to get the most out of them. In order to do that you need to be able to know/guess how they tick. To know when to use the carrot and when to use the stick. To know what is the carrot for those individuals. The Covenant has politics and conniving and scheming between members of different species. That can only work if the species involved understand members of the other species.

The members of the Covenant species need that ability in order to work together successfully. That ability would let them recognize that we were also like them. We really are not that alien to them.

I can call someone a dog or a worm and I can treat them as less than human. But lets not make the mistake of thinking that I am genuinely unable to know the difference. I would be being mendacious, a bad person and shouldn't be 'understood' or excused for my poor behavior.

The proper understanding of my behavior would be that I was being self serving and dishonest.

Message Index

Replies:

Only 7 YearsXmoosev3 3/3/10 9:24 a.m.
     *rofl*Shishka 3/3/10 12:07 p.m.
           HBO: Shishka was Right (in 2003) *NM*Louis Wu 3/3/10 12:54 p.m.
                 HBO: Its a Roland Map. *NM*Hyokin 3/3/10 1:50 p.m.
                 Re: HBO: Shishka is Left the rest of the time. *NM*Blackstar 3/4/10 1:34 p.m.
           Re: *rofl*Xmoosev3 3/7/10 8:22 a.m.
     Another classic Shishka chestnut from yester-yearDruff 3/3/10 2:25 p.m.
           Wow!bluerunner 3/3/10 2:31 p.m.
           Re: Another classic Shishka chestnut from yester-yICDedPpl 3/3/10 2:32 p.m.
           Re: Another classic Shishka chestnut from yester-yAngelicLionheart 3/3/10 2:42 p.m.
                 Re: Another classic Shishka chestnut from yester-ysharpsniper99 3/3/10 2:53 p.m.
                       Re: Another classic Shishka chestnut from yester-yJillybean 3/3/10 3:17 p.m.
                             Re: Another classic Shishka chestnut from yester-ysharpsniper99 3/3/10 3:24 p.m.
                                   Re: Another classic Shishka chestnut from yester-yJillybean 3/3/10 3:26 p.m.
                                         Re: Another classic Shishka chestnut from yester-yHyokin 3/3/10 3:48 p.m.
                       Yeah, he was definitely right on...stan 3/3/10 4:24 p.m.
                             i liked the arbiter :(hunt3r 3/3/10 5:54 p.m.
                                   Re: i liked the arbiter :(Metalingus627 3/3/10 7:05 p.m.
                                         Re: i liked the arbiter :(Arithmomaniac 3/3/10 8:36 p.m.
                                               Re: i liked the arbiter :(scarab 3/4/10 2:53 p.m.
                                                     Re: i liked the arbiter :(RC Master 3/4/10 3:27 p.m.
                                                           Is that your best response?scarab 3/4/10 3:47 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Is that your best response?RC Master 3/6/10 8:55 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Is that your best response?scarab 3/6/10 10:39 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Is that your best response?Metalingus627 3/6/10 3:48 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Is that your best response?Louis Wu 3/6/10 3:53 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Is that your best response?Metalingus627 3/6/10 4:02 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Is that your best response?GryphonOsiris 3/7/10 4:08 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Is that your best response?Harmanimus 3/7/10 7:45 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Is that your best response?Louis Wu 3/7/10 9:24 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Is that your best response?Harmanimus 3/7/10 10:40 a.m.
                                                                                                           Non-secular Covenantscarab 3/7/10 3:29 p.m.
                                                                                                     Space abattoirsscarab 3/7/10 3:08 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Is that your best response?scarab 3/6/10 5:59 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Is that your best response?Silent Knight 3/7/10 12:05 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Is that your best response?Metalingus627 3/7/10 5:06 a.m.
                                                                                               AlsoMetalingus627 3/7/10 5:22 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: AlsoSilent Knight 3/7/10 5:32 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Is that your best response?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 3/7/10 10:44 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Is that your best response?scarab 3/7/10 3:57 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Is that your best response?Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 3/7/10 9:04 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Is that your best response?scarab 3/8/10 3:20 p.m.
                                               Re: i liked the arbiter :(General Vagueness 3/7/10 9:44 p.m.
                                                     Re: i liked the arbiter :(Fil Storamee 3/8/10 2:47 a.m.
                                                           Elites need to be FerociousDEEP NNN 3/8/10 6:19 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Elites need to be FerociousGilver 3/8/10 11:28 a.m.
                                         Re: why people hated the arbiterZe Moose 3/6/10 7:01 p.m.
                                               Re: why people hated the arbiterscarab 3/6/10 7:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: why people hated the arbiterscarab 3/6/10 7:13 p.m.
                             BOOO!!!!RC Master 3/3/10 7:44 p.m.
                                   Yeah, but...stan 3/3/10 8:36 p.m.
                                         Re: Yeah, but...RC Master 3/3/10 8:58 p.m.
                                         Re: Yeah, but...Hedgemony 3/3/10 9:10 p.m.
                                               I've always found this to be a pretty good metricEiii 3/3/10 9:36 p.m.
                                                     Here's my take...stan 3/3/10 10:39 p.m.
                                                           Re: Here's my take...Hedgemony 3/3/10 10:48 p.m.
                                                           Re: Here's my take...Eiii 3/4/10 12:35 a.m.
                                                     Re: I've always found this to be a pretty good metsharpsniper99 3/4/10 3:23 a.m.
                                                           Hey look!Eiii 3/5/10 11:51 a.m.
                                                                 Wait, you're serious?Bones153 3/6/10 4:37 p.m.
                                                           Re: I've always found this to be a pretty good metCody Miller 3/6/10 4:42 p.m.
                                                           I'm right there with you.Silent Knight 3/6/10 5:22 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I'm right there with you.Hedgemony 3/6/10 5:57 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I'm right there with you.Hikaru-119 3/6/10 6:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I'm right there with you.scarab 3/6/10 6:34 p.m.
                             Re: Yeah, he was definitely right on...DEEP NNN 3/3/10 8:58 p.m.
                             Re: Yeah, he was definitely right on...Archilen 3/4/10 12:53 a.m.
                             Re: Yeah, he was definitely right on...DHalo 3/7/10 12:35 p.m.
                                   Re: Yeah, he was definitely right on...RC Master 3/7/10 2:06 p.m.
                                         Re: Yeah, he was definitely right on...DHalo 3/7/10 2:48 p.m.
                 Pretty sure he was kidding. *NM*iMonkey777 3/3/10 3:43 p.m.
                       Yeah. Right. *NM* *NM*Druff 3/3/10 3:52 p.m.
                 He really did 180 on that :-) *NM*scarab 3/3/10 7:17 p.m.
           Re: Another classic Shishka chestnut from yester-yThe Se7enth Prophet 3/3/10 3:17 p.m.
           That's a burn. *NM*BlueNinja 3/3/10 4:06 p.m.
           Doesn't Count.Shishka 3/3/10 4:18 p.m.
                 Re: Doesn't Count.Druff 3/3/10 4:24 p.m.
                       Re: Doesn't Count.sharpsniper99 3/3/10 4:31 p.m.
                             Re: Doesn't Count.Druff 3/3/10 5:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Doesn't Count.sharpsniper99 3/3/10 6:15 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.