/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Marathon Infinity: the Story: Prologue
Posted By: PhiltronDate: 12/12/20 9:08 a.m.

Okay, let's go...

The Ending of Marathon Infinity:

Let me just jump ahead real quick and briefly talk about the ending, because it lays out the conditions needed for success, which maybe gives us clues as to why things happen the way they do in the rest of the game.

1. Durandal needs to “die” so he can merge with the S’pht AI, which may or may not be Thoth (believe me, it gets real uncertain towards the end of the game).

2. S’pht-Durandal need to summon K’lia and the S’pht’kr at the right moment.

3. S’pht-Durandal need to be present to take control of the Aye Mak Sicur station and wrap the nova.

4. S’pht’kr have to be present to rout the Pfhor.

5. Tycho needs to be contained so he doesn’t use the tri xeem too early.

6. Tfear (not Tycho) has to be the one commanding the Pfhor, to fire the trih xeem, and to board the Jjaro station.

7. The main character needs to be present to help the S’pht’kr with the fighting. More importantly, the main character is the only person who can physically pass through a containment field holding a pattern chip necessary to activate the station in the first place.

Those are the puzzle pieces that need to be in their correct positions in order to 1) defeat the Pfhor, and 2) keep the W’rkncacnter from escaping.

Although even this isn’t always consistent. In the very first level, the Prologue, the S’pht’kr are most likely not present, but the Pfhor decide to use the tri xeem anyway, and Tycho actually tries to convince the Pfhor not to use the tri xeem, but in the other timelines he is very eager to use it right away. So, even the above points aren’t totally consistent.

M1 and M2 Caveat:

I have not reviewed the story in Marathon or Marathon 2. I am going purely off my old memories of those games. I have not reviewed the Theories on the Marathon Story Page, either. I simply do not have time to comb through these other resources along with Infinity’s story. But I understand that a lot of understanding of Infinity depends on comparing it to what we already learned in M2.

So, feel free to add context or ideas from these other sources, but please be respectful of the fact that I only had enough freetime to review one of these games.

Nevertheless, let’s get on with summing up the story.

Prologue

We are shown events in a timeline that is different from what happened in Marathon 2 and different from any other timeline in this game.

Ne Cede Malis

Durandal arrives in the Lh’owon system. Without ever reaching Lh’owon, Durandal battles the Pfhor naval garrison and the Western Arm of their Battle Group Seven. He “slaughters” the Pfhor.

In response, the Pfhor use the tri xeem, a weapon Durandal thought the Pfhor had retired and which Tycho himself tried to convince the Pfhor not to use. The Pfhor use it anyway and send Lh’owon’s sun into an early nova.

Once the sun goes nova, it releases a destructive force of chaos from within.

An uncharacteristically doubtful and fearful Durandal expresses regret that there isn’t time for the main character to explore the ruins of Lh’owon. He suggests that the S’pht ruins might have answered “how to stop this chaos, the purpose of the station on which you're currently standing, and why the chaos hasn't come here yet.”

(The main character never set foot on Lh’owon, so presumably Thoth was never activated and that the S’pht’kr were never summoned.)

Durandal mentions that Tycho commands the only other ship that is nearby, and suggests that if the main character can make it onto Tycho’s ship then the main character may be able to escape.

(In the original document these next points appeared to the side of the summary in a second column. Obviously can't do that here, so they're at the bottom.)

Jjaro station which is immune to the chaos coming from the destroyed sun

Allies:

None

Enemies:

Pfhor forces (Fighters, S’pht

Differences from other timelines:

Tycho is unwilling to use the tri xeem. Lh’owon was never explored (presumably Thoth never activated and S’pht’kr never summoned).

Comments:

I genuinely believe this is Aye Mak Sicur station, which I think other people have suggested as well, but just shown in a different style of architecture. This further reinforces the idea that Infinity isn’t interested in creating a literal canon and more interested in exploring the possibilities of this universe (like the Mullins art).

The level ends with a terminal of white text similar to Thoth’s in M2, but I do not believe this is Thoth, since he very likely has not been activated in this timeline. The login icon is similar to S’pht-Durandal’s, but I don’t think is it either; S’pht-Durandal does not demonstrate the ability or knowledge of traveling to other timelines anywhere in this game. Mostly likely this is non-diegetic narration.

Presumably, the release of the W’rkncacnter is what triggers the main character to switch timelines at this point. Either this is a choice by the character or something caused by Jjaro technology. My personal theory is that the timeline jumps and much of the white text we see (that many people consider to be Thoth) is actually some type of intuition granted to the main character through his Jjaro implants which become activated in the presence of the W’rkncacnter.

Another thing of note: Durandal suggests that if the main character can get onto Tycho’s ship then the main character might be able to escape the chaos. In the very next level this turns out to be true, just not in the literal way Durandal intended. The main character does board Tycho's ship and does escape the chaos, but he does so by traveling to a reality where he is already in Tycho's custody and the W'rkncacnter hasn't been released yet. Some clever wordplay/levelplay by Double Aught, here.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/12/20 9:08 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGodot 12/12/20 12:14 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/12/20 1:10 p.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGeneral-RADIX 12/12/20 1:27 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/12/20 1:53 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGeneral-RADIX 12/12/20 10:37 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/13/20 8:43 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGeneral-RADIX 12/13/20 2:04 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/13/20 2:19 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGeneral-RADIX 12/13/20 2:40 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueForrest of B.org 12/13/20 8:57 p.m.
                                               Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/15/20 4:12 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueDurandal_1707 12/15/20 6:25 p.m.
                                                           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueForrest of B.org 12/16/20 11:31 a.m.
                                         Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueVikingBoyBilly 12/14/20 3:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/15/20 4:15 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGodot 12/13/20 12:56 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/13/20 8:50 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueVikingBoyBilly 12/12/20 1:44 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/12/20 1:58 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/12/20 7:04 p.m.
     What about...Durandal_1707 12/12/20 4:07 p.m.
           Re: What about...Philtron 12/12/20 4:38 p.m.
                 Re: What about...Godot 12/12/20 10:56 p.m.
                       Re: What about...Godot 12/13/20 12:18 a.m.
                             Re: What about...Philtron 12/13/20 8:46 a.m.
                                   Re: What about...Godot 12/14/20 11:36 p.m.
           Re: What about...Bob-B-Q 12/13/20 12:24 p.m.
                 Re: What about...Philtron 12/13/20 1:54 p.m.
                       Re: What about...Durandal_1707 12/13/20 7:37 p.m.
                             Re: What about...Forrest of B.org 12/13/20 8:59 p.m.
                                   Re: What about...Durandal_1707 12/14/20 8:20 a.m.
                                         Re: What about...Forrest of B.org 12/14/20 2:13 p.m.
                                               Re: What about...Durandal_1707 12/14/20 2:57 p.m.
                                                     Re: What about...General-RADIX 12/14/20 4:06 p.m.
                                                           Re: What about...Godot 12/14/20 11:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: What about...Durandal_1707 12/15/20 4:05 a.m.
                                                           Re: What about...VikingBoyBilly 12/16/20 7:08 a.m.
                 Re: What about...Godot 12/17/20 3:29 a.m.
                       Re: What about...VikingBoyBilly 12/17/20 4:43 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGodot 12/13/20 4:18 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.