/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: Prologue
Posted By: General-RADIXDate: 12/13/20 2:04 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: Prologue (Philtron)

: Your responses are very frustrating because you're responding to things I
: never said and arguing with points I never made. If you don't agree with
: me, that's fine, but don't put words in my mouth to get angry about.

I swear, I'm not trying to do that, nor am I really that angry. My main issue here is that "non-diagetic/canon" carries very specific implications to me wrt: approach to story analysis, and I was trying to articulate those implications.

But, I'll drop the subject after this.

: You keep saying my conclusions are "arbitrary" when I've stated my
: rationale for these decisions. Please stop. I have stated that the dream
: levels don't literally happen to the main character because there is
: nothing pointing towards that being the case. If you want to argue
: otherwise then prove it: what does everything literally mean in the dream
: levels? What is the literal nature of the grey S'pht and Enforcers? Etc.

: The dream levels don't have an impact on the plot and they don't represent
: what the character is experiencing between jumps. If you want to claim
: otherwise, prove it. What is the player experiencing between jumps?
: Walking through Jjaro lava facilities somewhere?

Maybe this bit is rhetorical and I'm about to be punished for engaging with it at face value, but, well. They're dream levels. That's what I think he's experiencing. (I would touch on what I think he's dreaming about, but I know that anything I have to say here would get shot down.)

If they look like "Jjaro lava facilities", that's probably more a consequence of not having room for a sixth texture set or something. In-universe, that and the grey Enforcers and S'pht could be chalked up to "showing up in the SO's dreams because the present circumstances basically force him to think about them a lot" (it's happened to me more than a few times).

I wanna point out that you're (by my understanding) telling me not to interpret things literally, when so far you've shot down a lot of things that aren't explicitly spelled out in the text. How am I supposed to feel about that?

: My own point is that if you removed the dream levels, then the plot would
: remain the same. You would just be missing the additional atmosphere and
: an alternate angle on the themes of the story.

Those aren't things I consider worth losing, frankly, even if they aren't the main focus of this discussion.

Also, not sure I would say that the Electric Sheep levels could be taken out with no impact on the main plot whatsoever, given that the text does seem to refer to it (however cryptically).

: Here you're upset that I have a different opinion than you, but disguise it
: as some interpretative disagreement.

I'm not trying to "disguise" anything here; I'm trying to explain why I think this is a flawed way of going about it.

: Acknowledging that the terminal is strange and moving on is lazy and adds
: nothing to our understanding of what's going on. That would be the exact
: opposite point of this entire endeavor. You're just basically saying I
: should shut up and not voice my interpretation, and trying to hide that's
: what you're saying.

My understanding of this series of threads is that it's examining and disentangling the main plot of Infinity without lingering on the stranger parts for too long. I was trying to think of a way to acknowledge the stranger terminals' existence and role in the plot, in this specific thread(s), that doesn't risk speculation-overload.

And I wanna point out that while you say "interpretation", you're also claiming that the dream level narratives have nothing to do with the SO like that's an explicit fact, and earlier told me to "let go" of my "assumptions" about 'em. So I didn't really get that impression.

: I never claimed that the non-diegetic portions of the game are not mandatory.
: Stop making up things I never said.

That's not what I was trying to say; what that was, is that I think these levels were intended to be seen as diagetic because they aren't optional to progress in the story.

: Why do you think Double Aught wouldn't break from this particular convention?
: What possible reasoning do you have for this opinion in a game in which
: Double Aught deliberately broke from some of the most important
: conventions in storytelling? Or is it just that you personally don't like
: this idea because it's unusual to you?

"To keep the experimental narrative cohesive", is the simplest way I know to put it. And no, I don't really like this idea, but that's because I don't find "these parts of the game aren't canon" to be a satisfying solution, not 'cuz "it's unusual".

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/12/20 9:08 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGodot 12/12/20 12:14 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/12/20 1:10 p.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGeneral-RADIX 12/12/20 1:27 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/12/20 1:53 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGeneral-RADIX 12/12/20 10:37 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/13/20 8:43 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGeneral-RADIX 12/13/20 2:04 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/13/20 2:19 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGeneral-RADIX 12/13/20 2:40 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueForrest of B.org 12/13/20 8:57 p.m.
                                               Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/15/20 4:12 p.m.
                                                     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueDurandal_1707 12/15/20 6:25 p.m.
                                                           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueForrest of B.org 12/16/20 11:31 a.m.
                                         Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueVikingBoyBilly 12/14/20 3:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/15/20 4:15 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGodot 12/13/20 12:56 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/13/20 8:50 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueVikingBoyBilly 12/12/20 1:44 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/12/20 1:58 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: ProloguePhiltron 12/12/20 7:04 p.m.
     What about...Durandal_1707 12/12/20 4:07 p.m.
           Re: What about...Philtron 12/12/20 4:38 p.m.
                 Re: What about...Godot 12/12/20 10:56 p.m.
                       Re: What about...Godot 12/13/20 12:18 a.m.
                             Re: What about...Philtron 12/13/20 8:46 a.m.
                                   Re: What about...Godot 12/14/20 11:36 p.m.
           Re: What about...Bob-B-Q 12/13/20 12:24 p.m.
                 Re: What about...Philtron 12/13/20 1:54 p.m.
                       Re: What about...Durandal_1707 12/13/20 7:37 p.m.
                             Re: What about...Forrest of B.org 12/13/20 8:59 p.m.
                                   Re: What about...Durandal_1707 12/14/20 8:20 a.m.
                                         Re: What about...Forrest of B.org 12/14/20 2:13 p.m.
                                               Re: What about...Durandal_1707 12/14/20 2:57 p.m.
                                                     Re: What about...General-RADIX 12/14/20 4:06 p.m.
                                                           Re: What about...Godot 12/14/20 11:13 p.m.
                                                                 Re: What about...Durandal_1707 12/15/20 4:05 a.m.
                                                           Re: What about...VikingBoyBilly 12/16/20 7:08 a.m.
                 Re: What about...Godot 12/17/20 3:29 a.m.
                       Re: What about...VikingBoyBilly 12/17/20 4:43 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity: the Story: PrologueGodot 12/13/20 4:18 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.