/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: gorans experince of ua
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 10/3/05 3:08 p.m.

In Response To: gorans experince of ua (goran)

In light of all this, let me explain, though I think you already understand well, what I was doing in offering my unsolicited advice that started this whole thing.

You and Me_43 had a spat, and said some words that seemed to offend one another.

In trying to resolve this, I addressed both of you directly, so as not to take sides one against the other, and tried to illustrate where the misunderstanding behind this hostility came from.

In addressing you, I was operating on the belief that you would rather get along with everybody than have people needlessly angry at you. As such, I was trying to illustrate to you that although *I* don't have a problem with the words that you said to Me_43, and I think it's fine and not arrogant to say true good things about yourself, perhaps you could see how other people might take irrational offense at those kinds of statements.

That kind of understanding is a useful tool in the pursuit of what I believe you would like to accomplish: getting along with people whenever possible. Maybe I'm wrong about this and you're completely apathetic toward what people think about you, but it seems natural to all humans to prefer that people would like them if it's possible, and only give up if they can't manage that. Thus I was trying to help you have the tools you need to achieve that goal.

In other words, I don't feel a need to change the path you're taking for my own sake. You're fine in my book. But I thought you might want to take another path for your own sake, if only it was shown to exist, or perhaps since you seem to already know it exists, if you were shown where the path you are on will lead. If you're happy with the path you're on and don't care at all what anybody thinks about you (by which I mean, whether or not you offend or please people), then you've no need to take note that that's where your path leads, or that other paths circumvent that, since that's where you're going and you like it that way, so why change? But if you don't like where that road goes... there are others. I'm just pointing them out.

(I know this all sounds very missionary and religious, and they are operating off the same principle, but the usual counter to poorly-founded religious missionary speech is to point out that their suggested paths lead through some not-so-nice places themselves and besides, they're hardly held up by anything, you could fall right through the cracks... so if you see cracks in the road or bad consequences of the path I'm suggesting, feel free to point them out to me, too. I'd appreciate the advice).

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What makes a nice map?TDJ 9/29/05 7:41 a.m.
     Re: What makes a nice map?RyokoTK 9/29/05 12:39 p.m.
     Re: What makes a nice map?C Lund 9/30/05 12:18 a.m.
           Re: What makes a nice map?Forrest of B.org 9/30/05 6:34 a.m.
                 Re: What makes a nice map?RyokoTK 9/30/05 7:11 a.m.
                       Applying weapons to maps.RyokoTK 9/30/05 9:05 a.m.
                             Appropriate platform usage.RyokoTK 9/30/05 9:36 a.m.
                                   Lighting.RyokoTK 9/30/05 9:50 a.m.
                                         How to use monsters.RyokoTK 9/30/05 10:07 a.m.
                                               Secrets.RyokoTK 9/30/05 8:29 p.m.
                                                     Monster Behaivor (first version)goran 10/1/05 9:35 a.m.
                                                           Re: Monster Behaivor (first version)RyokoTK 10/1/05 9:57 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Monster Behaivor (first version)goran 10/1/05 10:20 a.m.
                                                           Re: Monster Behaivor (first version)Steve Levinson 10/1/05 7:03 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Monster Behaivor (first version)goran 10/1/05 10:52 p.m.
                                                                       Wow-A compliment from Goran for unsolicited advice *NM*Steve Levinson 10/2/05 6:40 a.m.
                                                                             Maybe his life depended on it... *NM*D-M.A. 10/2/05 6:59 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Maybe his life depended on it...goran 10/2/05 11:28 a.m.
                                                                                         IMO, we're looking to deeply into this... *NM*Blake37 10/2/05 2:17 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Maybe his life depended on it...D-M.A. 10/2/05 6:49 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Maybe his life depended on it...RyokoTK 10/2/05 7:02 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Maybe his life depended on it...D-M.A. 10/2/05 7:10 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Maybe his life depended on it...Steve Levinson 10/2/05 7:27 p.m.
                                                                                               true if Steve=DMAgoran 10/2/05 10:24 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: true if Steve=DMAD-M.A. 10/3/05 8:28 a.m.
                                                                                                           gorans experince of uagoran 10/3/05 2:41 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: gorans experince of uaForrest of B.org 10/3/05 3:08 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: gorans experince of uaD-M.A. 10/3/05 6:43 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: gorans experince of uaSteve Levinson 10/4/05 4:38 a.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: gorans experince of uagoran 10/4/05 6:34 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: gorans experince of uaD-M.A. 10/4/05 10:27 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: gorans experince of uaNick Hoad 10/4/05 10:59 a.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: gorans experince of uagoran 10/4/05 12:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: gorans experince of uagoran 10/4/05 12:05 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         I actually agree & perhaps misinterpreted you *NM*Steve Levinson 10/4/05 12:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: gorans experince of uaSteve Levinson 10/4/05 11:23 a.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: gorans experince of uaSimon/team Sigma 10/4/05 12:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         True, and horribly off topic, but fun ;) *NM*Steve Levinson 10/4/05 12:47 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: True, and horribly off topic, but fun ;)Simon/team Sigma 10/4/05 1:31 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Taken at face value - no offense taken at all *NM*Steve Levinson 10/4/05 3:21 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: gorans experince of uaD-M.A. 10/4/05 7:15 p.m.
                                                                                                                                               Re: gorans experince of uaForrest of B.org 10/4/05 7:34 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                     Re: gorans experince of uaBlake37 10/5/05 9:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                           Re: gorans experince of uaForrest of B.org 10/5/05 10:54 a.m.
                                                                                                                                                                 Re: gorans experince of uaBlake37 10/5/05 3:37 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                       Re: gorans experince of uaForrest of B.org 10/5/05 6:40 p.m.
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: gorans experince of uaBlake37 10/6/05 12:22 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Monster Behaivor (first version)goran 10/2/05 11:08 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Monster Behaivor (first version)Steve Levinson 10/2/05 7:35 p.m.
                                         Transitional lighting.RyokoTK 9/30/05 10:40 a.m.
                                         lighting goran style (basics)goran 9/30/05 10:47 a.m.
                                         Re: Lighting.treellama 10/1/05 3:47 a.m.
                       Re: What makes a nice map?C Lund 9/30/05 12:30 p.m.
                             Re: What makes a nice map?RyokoTK 9/30/05 4:54 p.m.
                                   Re: What makes a nice map?Steve Levinson 9/30/05 9:33 p.m.
                                         Re: What makes a nice map?RyokoTK 10/1/05 3:50 a.m.
                                   Re: What makes a nice map?C Lund 9/30/05 11:30 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.