Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Death of the Xbox?
Posted By: Cunbelin The Longwinded <cunbelin@yahoo.com>Date: 5/23/02 5:40 a.m.

In Response To: Death of the Xbox? (FunkDaddy)

: http://red-mercury.com/mmceo/mmceo_current.html

: What would happen to Bungie? I guess they would stay at MS and develop games
: for the PC and Mac?

Thats a nice bit of imaginitive writing, what do you guys honestly think that MS is going to suddenly back out of its multi-billion dollar bet because some piss-ant reporter pulled numbers out of his ass ? MS was aware of these numbers coming in, what kind of idiot belives that a multi-billion dollar corporation doesn't do its homework. Lets do a quick concept here, forget that MS and Sony and Nintendo are selling consoles, because all that word means is paperweight. In truth you can do other things with these paperweights but those aren't why you bought the paperweights, you bought them for the games they play. So now we get to it, Games, you can move a million units of hardware an hour, but if nuthing runs on it you aren't going to do too well (unless you're Apple dc=).

So games, games are the heart of the matter here, and the best way to look at this whole thing is as a game, the winner gets the most best titles on their system. Each player in this game save Sony have a multi-pronged approach to getting games to their platform. Nintendo is attempting to make development easy, and is also relying on its very strong 1st and 2nd party titles, they are sticking to tried and true methods using proprietary media, and using good hardware. Sony is apparently resting on it's laurels as far as I can tell, their first party titles suck, and always have, they can't seem to get exclusives, and I've not heard much about attracting more 3rd parties from them. Microsoft has its games division working full tilt on Xbox, they've bought/bribed/possessed noted developers to work exclusively on their platform (No I am not talking about Bungie, I'm talking Lorne Lanning and Peter Molyenux) They seem to be bribing publishers as well for exclusives and firsts quite sucessfully. In addition they create an excellent piece of hardware capable of producing great looking games, and they make it relativly easy to do.

Anyway I need to sleep now as I leave in two hours for the airport.

Oh by they way, I could be totally wrong on Nintendo and Sony's strategy as well as MS's, but this is my impression of the situation and is more than likely wrong, feel free to point it out without devolving into personal insults. Yes I know my comments about the reporter could be construed as insults, but in fact they are my perception, I myself am a piss-ant forum poster who is pulling information out his ass. I am not on the other hand telling people what companies are thinking, rather just what I've seen them doing in the past.

Message Index

Replies:

Death of the Xbox?FunkDaddy 5/20/02 4:34 p.m.
     Re: Death of the Xbox?PCDestroyer 5/20/02 4:46 p.m.
           Re: Death of the Xbox?Surrepticius 5/20/02 4:58 p.m.
                 Death of the Xbox??...My @$$Mutti 5/20/02 6:48 p.m.
                       Re: Death of the Xbox??...My @$$Mr. Bobo 5/20/02 8:07 p.m.
     Re: Death of the Xbox?ferrex 5/20/02 6:03 p.m.
           Hurrah!Kellen Squire 5/20/02 11:00 p.m.
           Re: Death of the Xbox?Kanen Faud'r 5/21/02 3:12 a.m.
                 Re: Death of the Xbox?ferrex 5/21/02 1:24 p.m.
                       Re: Death of the Xbox?Kanen Faud'r 5/21/02 2:12 p.m.
                             What about the profits from...Ulf 5/21/02 3:08 p.m.
                       Gross vs. ProfitNarcogen 5/21/02 10:39 p.m.
                             Re: Hard DriveNthDegree256 5/21/02 11:12 p.m.
                                   Re: Hard DriveNthDegree256 5/21/02 11:13 p.m.
                                   hard drive vs. memory cardNarcogen 5/22/02 1:38 a.m.
                                         Re: hard drive vs. memory cardMark Levin 5/22/02 1:46 a.m.
                                               nice feature, just not essentialNarcogen 5/22/02 4:39 a.m.
                                         Re: hard drive vs. memory cardMiguel Chavez 5/22/02 1:51 a.m.
                                               Re: hard drive vs. memory cardpoena.dare #CP# 5/22/02 2:23 a.m.
                                                     Re: hard drive vs. memory cardMark Levin 5/22/02 3:21 a.m.
                                                           DVD Consortium ChargesNarcogen 5/22/02 4:48 a.m.
                                                                 Re: DVD Consortium ChargesLouis Wu 5/22/02 8:30 a.m.
                                                                       Re: DVD Consortium ChargesNarcogen 5/23/02 1:33 a.m.
                                                                             Re: DVD Consortium ChargesMark Levin 5/23/02 2:15 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: DVD Consortium ChargesNarcogen 5/23/02 3:05 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: DVD Consortium ChargesMark Levin 5/23/02 3:09 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: DVD Consortium ChargesNarcogen 5/24/02 4:14 a.m.
                                                     xbox as music playerNarcogen 5/22/02 4:45 a.m.
                                               The Console CaveNarcogen 5/22/02 4:42 a.m.
                                         Re: hard drive vs. memory cardSpudBoy 5/22/02 1:52 a.m.
                                               PGR ghosts and Myth FilmzNarcogen 5/22/02 5:04 a.m.
                             Re: Gross vs. Profitvector40 5/21/02 11:28 p.m.
                                   Grosse Profit PointeNarcogen 5/22/02 1:44 a.m.
                             Re: Gross vs. ProfitMiguel Chavez 5/22/02 1:22 a.m.
                                   Profit vs. RevenueNarcogen 5/22/02 1:52 a.m.
           Doomsayers vs MS Kool-AidNarcogen 5/21/02 9:38 p.m.
                 Re: Doomsayers vs MS Kool-AidKellen Squire 5/21/02 10:57 p.m.
                       Kool Aid vs FUDNarcogen 5/22/02 4:18 a.m.
                             *blink*Kellen Squire 5/22/02 6:29 p.m.
                                   Well, uh banshee "challenge" *NM*Black_Jackal 5/22/02 6:47 p.m.
                                         WHAT THE !@#$!Black_Jackal 5/22/02 6:51 p.m.
                                               Re: WHAT THE !@#$!Narcogen 5/23/02 2:40 a.m.
                                   SUPERFUD! :)Narcogen 5/23/02 2:38 a.m.
                                         Dratness!Kellen Squire 5/23/02 8:30 a.m.
                                         Re: SUPERFUD! :)Kellen Squire 5/23/02 9:43 a.m.
                                               Good Grief, this is great. *NM*vector40 5/23/02 9:25 p.m.
                                               Re: SUPERFUD! :)Narcogen 5/24/02 4:09 a.m.
                                         Re: SUPERFUD IS FINALLY REPLIED TOKellen Squire 5/24/02 12:23 a.m.
                                               Jesus.Zapf Dingbats 5/24/02 12:58 a.m.
                                                     Re: Jesus.Kellen Squire 5/24/02 8:24 a.m.
                 Re: Doomsayers vs MS Kool-AidMiguel Chavez 5/22/02 1:33 a.m.
                       Re: Doomsayers vs MS Kool-AidNarcogen 5/22/02 4:54 a.m.
     Re: Death of the Xbox?Cunbelin The Longwinded 5/23/02 5:40 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.