Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

I'm not sure I agree
Posted By: Meyeselph <littlewashuchan@hotmail.com>Date: 9/3/11 3:56 p.m.

In Response To: Reach will have a great legacy. (Leviathan)

: Looking through the Halo: Essential Visual Guide today, I was really happy to
: notice how when I turned to pages highlighting members of Noble Team, they
: really jumped out at me. They each have their own distinctive characters,
: their own distinctive armors, and they are all embroiled in a very dark
: chapter -perhaps the darkest chapter- of the Halo story, especially
: compared to some of the other characters highlighted in the book.

: And that's all I wanted to say with this post: no matter if you loved or
: hated Reach's story, or somewhere in between, I think as Halo moves on,
: Reach will still have a unique place in the universe as this dark,
: brooding glimpse of desperation and sacrifice.

: It's going to be great when we go back after playing 20 more Halo games (FPS,
: RTS, dating-sims, whatever) when we're older and return to these
: characters. "Oh man I forgot how cool Jorge was." or "Damn,
: this game is gritty!"

: In that way, especially in the last quote, the things that some folks DON'T
: like about Reach will help it standout in the future breadth of titles. I
: think some of those folks when playing through the whole series in another
: decade will come to really appreciate what Reach has to offer in its nice
: little niche.

: I think that's all I was trying to say, hope it makes sense: Reach's
: 'uniqueness' can only make it shine more as Halo keeps growing.

I personally have a lot of problems with Reach. Objectively I know it did some things right but I personally didn't like the characters, didn't like the very cliche 'everyone dies' plot that felt to me to be 'dark for the sake of dark' rather then keeping with the halo spirit. The multiplayer changes, while fun in their own right, have changed the game into a very slow and deliberate experience that very few people know how to play well (I've seen eclipses and heroes who still don't know how to manage bloom and this has placed even more emphasis on running for power weapons and spray and pray over proper weapon useage.)

Combine that with the elites in campaign and firefight being so fast, strong, and aggressive that many of the people that I run into on random firefight matches just die as soon as they show up unless they have a power weapon on hand because no one knows how to leverage plasma weapons in the halo fanbase anymore.

Reach is a game that alienates old fans by changing the mechanics and story tone too much and basically guaranteeing the books will always only be semi canon. While failing to create new fans because it's focus on difficulty and skill over playability has undermined it's player training.

I like credits and unlocks, the armor abilities are fun though a bit unbalanced at times, the games graphics are good, the multiplayer netcode is solid, on every technical level the game is impressive. The game however feels like a writing and design misstep to me and I hope it's mistakes don't carry over to the rest of the series as much as halo 2's mistakes have been dogging the design of the sequels ever since.

To put the history of the halo series in the parlance of running a football Halo 1 started a hard charge. Halo 2 fumbled the ball, halo 3 picked it up and sort of stumbled around with it, ODST did a brilliant pump fake and made a solid run past defenders, then Halo reach got it's legs taken out from under it and pinwheeled onto it's face, being crushed by the resulting dogpile.

No matter how much Halo fans like every single game that gets produced in this series because it has new bells and whistles, the series is losing steam and Halo 4 has to get a good solid return to basics to recover IMO.

Feel free to disagree with me, it's just my personal experience and opinion. I just don't think the game deserves universally positive praise.

Message Index

Replies:

Reach will have a great legacy.Leviathan 9/2/11 11:40 p.m.
     On the shoulders of giants.AngelicLionheart 9/3/11 12:16 a.m.
     Re: Reach will have a great legacy.Kermit 9/3/11 12:46 a.m.
           It's the Majora's Mask of Halo *NM*chiefsparten 9/3/11 1:47 a.m.
     /agree *NM*Dubbl3.utoo 9/3/11 3:32 a.m.
     Re: Reach will have a great legacy.Flynn J Taggart 9/3/11 4:30 a.m.
           I sure would love to play as S2s in years past.AngelicLionheart 9/3/11 5:44 a.m.
                 Re: I sure would love to play as S2s in years pastFlynn J Taggart 9/4/11 6:33 a.m.
     CertainlyNeloms 9/3/11 8:15 a.m.
     Re: Reach will have a great legacy.General Vagueness 9/3/11 10:00 a.m.
           Re: Reach will have a great legacy.GrimBrother One 9/3/11 10:13 a.m.
                 Re: Reach will have a great legacy.General Vagueness 9/3/11 7:35 p.m.
           I should say...Leviathan 9/3/11 12:11 p.m.
                 Re: I should say...SonofMacPhisto 9/3/11 12:59 p.m.
                       inb4fistful2wordsnao *NM*SonofMacPhisto 9/3/11 1:06 p.m.
                       Re: I should say...Leviathan 9/3/11 1:13 p.m.
     Re: Reach will have a great legacy.BanditORR 9/3/11 10:40 a.m.
           Re: Reach will have a great legacy.Leviathan 9/3/11 12:17 p.m.
           Re: Reach will have a great legacy.uberfoop 9/3/11 9:33 p.m.
     Re: Reach will have a great legacy.DEEP NNN 9/3/11 10:57 a.m.
     Re: Reach will have a great legacy.uberfoop 9/3/11 1:19 p.m.
           Re: Reach will have a great legacy.Leviathan 9/3/11 2:43 p.m.
                 Re: Reach will have a great legacy.General Vagueness 9/3/11 7:51 p.m.
           Re: Reach will have a great legacy.Dervish 9/3/11 3:38 p.m.
                 Re: Reach will have a great legacy.uberfoop 9/3/11 5:34 p.m.
                       Re: Reach will have a great legacy.Dervish 9/3/11 6:16 p.m.
                             Re: Reach will have a great legacy.ArteenEsben 9/3/11 6:38 p.m.
                       Re: Reach will have a great legacy.General Vagueness 9/3/11 8:01 p.m.
                             Re: Reach will have a great legacy.uberfoop 9/3/11 8:09 p.m.
           Re: Reach will have a great legacy.General Vagueness 9/3/11 7:47 p.m.
                 Re: Reach will have a great legacy.uberfoop 9/3/11 8:26 p.m.
                       Re: Reach will have a great legacy.General Vagueness 9/3/11 10:19 p.m.
                             Re: Reach will have a great legacy.Leviathan 9/3/11 10:54 p.m.
                                   Re: Reach will have a great legacy.Quirel 9/4/11 10:54 a.m.
                                         Re: Reach will have a great legacy.Meyeselph 9/4/11 11:36 a.m.
                                               Re: Reach will have a great legacy.General Vagueness 9/4/11 3:41 p.m.
                                                     Re: Reach will have a great legacy.uberfoop 9/4/11 6:18 p.m.
                                                           Re: Reach will have a great legacy.General Vagueness 9/5/11 12:05 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Reach will have a great legacy.uberfoop 9/5/11 1:11 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Reach will have a great legacy.General Vagueness 9/5/11 5:20 p.m.
                                   Re: Reach will have a great legacy.General Vagueness 9/4/11 3:35 p.m.
     I'm not sure I agreeMeyeselph 9/3/11 3:56 p.m.
           Re: I'm not sure I agreeArteenEsben 9/3/11 6:28 p.m.
           Re: I'm not sure I agreePkmnrulz240 9/3/11 7:29 p.m.
     Re: Reach will have a great legacy.ZaneZavin 9/4/11 4:15 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.