Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: Halo
Posted By: Pkmnrulz240 <Pkmnrulz241@gmail.com>Date: 4/25/11 8:58 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: Halo (SonGoharotto)

: Well, this is done from the perspective of being the player's first encounter
: with ODSTs. It makes sense to me that a pilot in particular would consider
: them nuts. Johnson, by comparison, respects their "can do"
: attitude. =)

I see where you're coming from. I could agree on the need for that if you did in fact want to introduce ODSTs this early (although again, I would argue against that... But this is your script, so... :P). But I would still change that line. "Crazy" is just too basic of a word. It's too generic, and is applied to anything and everything. Coming from Foehammer, it would just sound pretty cheesy.

If you must introduce the ODSTs in the dialogue here, I would just mention them by name, but refrain from getting into any sort of descriptive details about them until later. Again, it seems like it's a little too early in the game to be diving into something like that. Just my $0.02 though.

: I figured you could just have an invisible ceiling, a la Two Betrayals, but
: maybe you're right.

Nah, there's absolutely no reason for Banshees on this level. Leave the Banshee until Two Betrayals.

: Good point about being too early for a Gauss Hog. I have a different plan for
: Silent Cartographer (shake things up a bit) and the Rocket Hog will
: feature in a mass battle sequence towards the end, since it's the most
: formidable.

Ooh, sounds interesting. :)

: See, I really want to include new, different encounters. Most of this level
: is spent defending a position against waves of infantry, or tearing it up
: in a vehicle.

At this point in the game, I don't think that you need to be thinking about "new, different encounters." A new player to the game still hasn't experienced all the standard types of encounters found in Halo. Heck, they still haven't come across Hunters yet (don't even think about it. ;) ). At this point, the average player is still getting the hang of Halo combat, and doesn't need to be thrown into a billion different situations right away. Nor do they need to be introduced to the most fierce of enemies yet (SpecOps). Save those for later. I think Bungie did a good job when it comes to introducing them at certain parts throughout the story. No need to rush with them.

: I am playing through the levels as I type these up and I noticed it seemed to
: drag a bit right after you get the first Hog. It's mostly just listening
: to Cortana and making jumps. There's plenty of time to practice driving
: between crash site to crash site.

I'd argue that just listening to Cortana and trying to get enough air time to get your marine gunner to fist pump the air is part of the magic of the second level. It's a vast, open area where your vehicle can really shine. But you don't need tons of different enemies and encounters to do that. When players are ready to dive into combat, then they head into three areas on the map to rescue the marines in the lifeboats. But in the main area which branches off into the three areas, there are very few enemies, and banshees and dropships only appear after you return from one of the branches. This is one of the few chances that the player has during the campaign to really get a feel for the magnificence and beauty of Halo without tons of constant combat. Wheeling through the middle part of the map should feel like a nice, leisurely Sunday drive. If you want to get down and dirty, take your car to the track (the branches) and have some fun. But the middle part should be a sanctuary, free for the most part of enemies. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of a drag while driving from crash site to crash site. Again, I think that's one of the great parts of the level. Just me and my warthog. <3

: So I feel like there needs to be a moment that puts the player in a tree and
: throws rocks at him.

Not on the second level. There are plenty of those moments in 343GS, the Library, Two Betrayals... actually, everything from 343 to the end has those moments. There are no shortage of them in the campaign. The first few levels don't need them. :)

: What about just Elites with Concussion Rifles? Mind you, due to the level
: geometry, you can still jump down, sneak around behind the Elites, and
: meet up with Johnson right away.

Well, again, it's up to you. But I'll just say this: If I had ever had to face Halo 1 elites with Concussion Rifles, I probably would have thrown my controller at the wall. And those S-Controllers are a little bit more powerful than the 360 controllers we have today. ;)

: Yeah, that's true. I intend to use them in T&R anyway, what with
: stealth/infiltration being one of their specialties.

This was one part of The Flood that I really enjoyed, so I say go for it.

: You gave me a lot of good things to think about. I think this one may need a
: revision.

Just wanted to offer my opinions. Like I said, it's still your script, and please don't take anything I say personally. I think all of us here at HBO have some sort of strong opinions about Halo 1. While we may not agree with one another on many issues regarding the original Halo, I'm sure that whatever we feel about it, we're passionate about those feelings. :)

Message Index

Replies:

Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloSonGoharotto 4/25/11 4:40 p.m.
     Btw thanks for the news post, Wu! *NM*SonGoharotto 4/25/11 4:41 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloPkmnrulz240 4/25/11 6:28 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloSonGoharotto 4/25/11 8:03 p.m.
                 Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloPkmnrulz240 4/25/11 8:58 p.m.
                       Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloSonGoharotto 4/25/11 9:27 p.m.
                             Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloPkmnrulz240 4/26/11 1:32 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloSonGoharotto 4/26/11 3:51 p.m.
                             Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloDocument 4/26/11 2:03 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloJaydee 4/26/11 4:02 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloPkmnrulz240 4/26/11 9:53 a.m.
     Level 2 RevisionSonGoharotto 4/25/11 9:51 p.m.
           Re: Level 2 RevisionPkmnrulz240 4/26/11 1:37 a.m.
                 Re: Level 2 RevisionSonGoharotto 4/26/11 3:53 p.m.
           Re: Level 2 RevisionDocument 4/26/11 2:02 a.m.
                 Re: Level 2 RevisionPkmnrulz240 4/26/11 9:46 a.m.
                 Re: Level 2 RevisionSonGoharotto 4/26/11 3:58 p.m.
     I'm skeptical of.uberfoop 4/25/11 9:57 p.m.
           Re: I'm skeptical of.Pkmnrulz240 4/26/11 1:39 a.m.
                 Re: I'm skeptical of.uberfoop 4/26/11 1:43 a.m.
           Seems to me...Louis Wu 4/26/11 8:28 a.m.
                 ^ThisKermit 4/26/11 9:06 a.m.
                 Re: Seems to me...Pkmnrulz240 4/26/11 9:50 a.m.
                       Re: Seems to me...NsU Soldier 4/26/11 10:01 a.m.
                 Re: Seems to me...SonGoharotto 4/26/11 4:13 p.m.
           Re: I'm skeptical of.SonGoharotto 4/26/11 4:05 p.m.
                 Re: I'm skeptical of.uberfoop 4/26/11 4:33 p.m.
                       Re: I'm skeptical of.SonGoharotto 4/26/11 5:06 p.m.
                             Re: I'm skeptical of.uberfoop 4/26/11 6:08 p.m.
                                   Re: I'm skeptical of.SonGoharotto 4/26/11 7:49 p.m.
     Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloHerr Zrbo 4/26/11 2:37 p.m.
           To War? *NM*scarab 4/26/11 3:39 p.m.
           Re: Halo [R]Evolved - Level 2: HaloSonGoharotto 4/26/11 4:09 p.m.
                 Adding elements from Halo: Crytumrobofin117 4/26/11 10:52 p.m.
                       Re: Adding elements from Halo: CrytumSonGoharotto 4/27/11 1:07 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.