Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Energy shield questions
Posted By: TelTura <hyperlink.teltura@gmail.com>Date: 1/21/07 1:52 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Energy shield questions (Xaos)

okay, granted, I used some terms that work from an everyman's perspective, but from the scientific definitions make no sense.

...grah! I can't find my old physics notes, so I guess I'll just wing it...

okay, a scenario:

master chief is at a picnic. he is standing, for some inane reason, with nothing to do. sargeant johnson decides to take a popshot at him with his trusy AR, a four-round burst, as a joke. half-jaw is behind a rock with a plasma rifle, and a grouchy ODST is sitting eating potato salad. there are also a few rocks about.

the poorly chosen location for the picnic is on the edge of the highest cliff in the galaxy.

now, a few assumptions: a plasma bolt is a piece of metal surrounded by superheated plasma contained within it's own magnetic field, giving it volume but very little actual "mass" for it's visual size; also, that there are two magnetic fields (yeah, I never mentioned this before, but I just thought of this and it made sense) around John, one that very nearly "hugs" John's armor, and another that acts as a second 'skin' about three or four inches away from the suit. This creates a "no-man's-land" in between the armor and the outside world, where the suit can expend energy without harming the armor, or the world, for that matter. it goes without saying that the shields only affect things that enter this buffer.

awright, t=0. John's shields are fully charged and the magnetic field around him is unbroken and contained, effectively encasing him in a thick "bubble". right now, the only force on him is gravity and the force normal of the ground...the shields are actually using energy right now, all along his the bottom of his feet, but it's a relatively small amount, enough to act as a barrier, and enough that his shields don't deplete. the energy being expended is contained within the field, and therein lies my poorly done balloon analogy. the electricity's energy is like the air in the balloon, acting as resistance, and the magnetic field is acting like a barrier, keeping it in. this causes the slipperiness when the chief walks.

t=1. seconds? who knows. anyhoo, the first AR round has "broken" through the magnetic field. half of the bullet is "inside" the magnetic bubble, shall we say, and the other half is "outside". the suit recognizes the break in the magnetic field, and calculates over a few microseconds the approximate force of the bullet, based on an estimate of the mass and the velocity. there is effectively a "hole" in the magnetic field, exactly where the bullet is at this point in time, which is what I meant by "vaccum". the suit overcompensates on purpose and floods that general area with electricity, contained within the field, with enough energy to exactly withstand the kinetic force of the bullet, which, in this case, is probably enough to zap it to dust...or at least pulverize it.

t=2. the second, third, and fourth bullets all hit the field in succession, fast enough that it looks like the suit only has to fire one sustained "burst" to zap them all. John's shields have only dropped a few ticks. He wonders how many different ways he can fold Johnson in half before the marine can retaliate. Half-jaw takes the chance to jump out and proceed with blasting plasma everywhere.

t=4. the first plasma bolt enters John's magnetic bubble. the volume of the plasma acts as a hole in the magnetic field, and the bolt's own magnetic field, used to hold it in place, disrupts a larger area around the actual bolt itself. the suit now has to deal with an area that is larger than what we see as a plasma bolt. on top of that, it doesn't just have to create a force equal and opposite to the kinetic energy of the bolt, as it had to with the bullets, it has to create one that has the force equal to the impact force and the heat/magnetic force of the plasma. thus the capacitors flood the area with electricity once again, but this time with what might be ten or twenty or a thousand times the accelerated mass (f=ma) to combat the extreme heat (K=...=...dang. I need to find those notes). MC's shields drop maybe a tenth of the total (if anyone could more or less confirm the amount that a plasma rifle bolt reduces MC's shields, that'd be great).

t=5-10. MC backpedals, offering a negligable difference to the impact force, while more and more plasma bolts pound into his shields. he accidentally steps in the ODST's potato salad, enraging the soldier. MC finally turns and runs and dives behind a rock, just as the first plasma bolt hits his armor, through his expended shields. note that the magnetic field is still intact; there's just no more electrons in the capacitors.

t=10-30. Half-jaw, Johnson, and the ODST fight over the last cupcake. John wishes he had a weapon, and waits for his fusion reactor to fill his capacitors with electrons (dude...that sounds like an innuendo...I'm so using that on my girlfriend).

t=31. John jumps out of hiding, and sees Johnson flee with the last cupcake. Half-jaw, sympathizing over the ruined potato salad, pulls out an energy sword, and the ODST throws a good-sized rock, approximately 15 lbs.

t=34. The rock impacts John square in the chest, as he had been distracted, thinking he saw another unclaimed cupcake. Approximately one-fourth of the shields are drained in repelling the rock, and the force of the energy of the electricity creates almost a solid barrier, at least where the rock is concerned. see, the electricity is used to push back against incoming fire, an energy explosion with an outward force equivalant or exceeding any incoming force. in the case of the rock, it gets caught between itself and a hard place, and crumbles against the shields. Half-jaw runs forward, swinging his sword with reckless abandon.

t=36. Half-jaw manages to cut off John's left hand at the wrist. At the exact moment that the energy sword entered the field, the suit tried to "shrug" it off with electric blasts, which to Half-jaw probably felt like resistance, but at any rate, the capacitors have exhausted, and John can only count his remaining fingers on one hand. He does a stylish backflip off the cliff, kicking Half-jaw's only jaw as he goes.

t=56. John wonders what in the world possessed him to backflip off the biggest cliff in the galaxy. His capacitors have recharged, and he is approaching terminal velocity.

t=57. John wonders at his luck as he picks up an overshield that happened to have fallen off sometime before the picnic. his capacitors (somehow) are now at 400% charge, allowing him to withstand a force much greater than what he's been hit with today, already.

t=67. John braces himself as he nears the ground. He wonders too late why he turned himself to land back-first.

t=70. John impacts. at the exact moment that, essentially, the world entered his magnetic field, the capacitors flooded all 400% into the buffer around him. presumably, this results in an electric "explosion" of energy which is enough to exactly match the upcoming ground. He lands solidly, the armor intact (who knows about his body organs).

now, obviously, I don't have any numbers to make this look that much more official, but it'll have to do.

I just thought of something that might help explain impact resistance better...if you've ever played a game that involves jetpacks (various Bond games, heck, Star Fox Assault), then you know that if you jump off a skyscraper, you're screwed, unless you hit the jetpack riiiight before you hit. that's all the shields are doing, offering a force against anything incoming, right before it hits. Now, this doesn't explain how it protects against things like fire, but I'm at a loss for that, frankly.

http://teltura.deviantart.com

Message Index

Replies:

Energy shield questionsTwitch 1/20/07 11:54 a.m.
     Re: Energy shield questionsSlimby 1/20/07 12:13 p.m.
           Re: Energy shield questionsTwitch 1/20/07 12:37 p.m.
                 Re: Energy shield questionsWayward Spleen™ 1/20/07 1:10 p.m.
                 Re: Energy shield questionsGuesty-Persony-Thingy 1/20/07 3:27 p.m.
                       Re: Energy shield questionsTwitch 1/22/07 4:43 p.m.
     Re: Energy shield questionshouseoftang 1/20/07 1:18 p.m.
     Re: Energy shield questionsActiveCamoElite 1/20/07 3:24 p.m.
           Re: Energy shield questionsTelTura 1/20/07 4:14 p.m.
                 Re: Energy shield questionshouseoftang 1/20/07 5:11 p.m.
                       Re: Energy shield questionsTelTura 1/20/07 5:30 p.m.
                             Re: Energy shield questionsXaos 1/20/07 6:08 p.m.
                                   Re: Energy shield questionshouseoftang 1/20/07 7:20 p.m.
                                   Re: Energy shield questionsTelTura 1/21/07 1:52 a.m.
                                         Re: Energy shield questionsXaos 1/21/07 4:33 a.m.
                                               Re: Energy shield questionsraptor117 1/22/07 5:56 p.m.
     Re: Energy shield questionsHikaru-119 1/20/07 5:11 p.m.
           Re: Energy shield questionsMister Froggy 1/20/07 5:20 p.m.
                 Re: Energy shield questionsHikaru-119 1/20/07 5:27 p.m.
           Re: Energy shield questionsXaos 1/20/07 6:17 p.m.
                 Re: Energy shield questionshouseoftang 1/20/07 7:04 p.m.
                       Re: Energy shield questionsXaos 1/20/07 8:22 p.m.
           Re: Energy shield questionsOmega 1/20/07 10:38 p.m.
     Re: Energy shield questionsXaos 1/20/07 8:13 p.m.
           Wow. *claps hands*ActiveCamoElite 1/20/07 10:54 p.m.
     Re: Energy shield questions *NM*Twitch 1/22/07 4:49 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.