Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Energy shield questions
Posted By: Guesty-Persony-Thingy <guestypersonythingy@gmail.com>Date: 1/20/07 3:27 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Energy shield questions (Twitch)

: okay, so the shields absorb kinetic and heat energy. but how are they
: projected?

As for how they're projected, I've always assumed they had some sort of energy projector. I dunno; just wait a few months and check the news.

But there's no way I'm going to pass up replying to the "is there any information" bit of it.

Okay, so you have some sort of fusion reactor on your back, and so it has a stock of stuff to be fused, but it's hardly ever running, so your shields dont' just die after a while. Just having your shield active, ready to take damage, doesn't take any energy. All the energy from the reactor just goes into some sort of capacitor (capacitator? capacipotatoe? whatever.), and it just sits there, ready to be used. If you're, at some point, getting attacked by something that uses kinetic energy or heat, your shield is suddenly concentrated on that spot to stop it. Stopping it, or providing the same amount of energy to combat it, takes energy from your capacitor, and shoves it wherever you're getting attacked. Yes, I know, WTH does the shield show up EVERYWHERE when you're getting attacked?. I don't know. Anyway, since your thing isn't running, since it doesn't need to be, your shield just sits there for a little while. Once it gets fired up, it starts replenishing your store of energy, which is why it takes a little while for it to recharge. Yes, I know, this doesn't explain why it stops when you get attacked again. It probably would, except it makes the game weird if you're the kind of person who doesn't look deeply into things like this. Anyway, to conserve the stuff that gets fused, your reactor never bothers to go above a certain amount of energy in the capacitor, unless you program it to (overshields ON in multiplayer), but if you somehow pick up that energy (overshield in campaign; multiplayer doesn't make sense), it all goes into the nearest place it can find that will store it; your capacitor. Your reactor thinks "okay, less work for me", so it goes and takes a coffee break until it's needed again.

That's all I know (or think I know) about shields, but I had never thought of how they're projected, so I shall tackle that too through a combination of Wikipedia and lying in my bed with nothing to do. =D

Halo Wars Central

Message Index

Replies:

Energy shield questionsTwitch 1/20/07 11:54 a.m.
     Re: Energy shield questionsSlimby 1/20/07 12:13 p.m.
           Re: Energy shield questionsTwitch 1/20/07 12:37 p.m.
                 Re: Energy shield questionsWayward Spleen™ 1/20/07 1:10 p.m.
                 Re: Energy shield questionsGuesty-Persony-Thingy 1/20/07 3:27 p.m.
                       Re: Energy shield questionsTwitch 1/22/07 4:43 p.m.
     Re: Energy shield questionshouseoftang 1/20/07 1:18 p.m.
     Re: Energy shield questionsActiveCamoElite 1/20/07 3:24 p.m.
           Re: Energy shield questionsTelTura 1/20/07 4:14 p.m.
                 Re: Energy shield questionshouseoftang 1/20/07 5:11 p.m.
                       Re: Energy shield questionsTelTura 1/20/07 5:30 p.m.
                             Re: Energy shield questionsXaos 1/20/07 6:08 p.m.
                                   Re: Energy shield questionshouseoftang 1/20/07 7:20 p.m.
                                   Re: Energy shield questionsTelTura 1/21/07 1:52 a.m.
                                         Re: Energy shield questionsXaos 1/21/07 4:33 a.m.
                                               Re: Energy shield questionsraptor117 1/22/07 5:56 p.m.
     Re: Energy shield questionsHikaru-119 1/20/07 5:11 p.m.
           Re: Energy shield questionsMister Froggy 1/20/07 5:20 p.m.
                 Re: Energy shield questionsHikaru-119 1/20/07 5:27 p.m.
           Re: Energy shield questionsXaos 1/20/07 6:17 p.m.
                 Re: Energy shield questionshouseoftang 1/20/07 7:04 p.m.
                       Re: Energy shield questionsXaos 1/20/07 8:22 p.m.
           Re: Energy shield questionsOmega 1/20/07 10:38 p.m.
     Re: Energy shield questionsXaos 1/20/07 8:13 p.m.
           Wow. *claps hands*ActiveCamoElite 1/20/07 10:54 p.m.
     Re: Energy shield questions *NM*Twitch 1/22/07 4:49 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.