Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Your title applied to you as well.
Posted By: Jinno <ginjin@gmail.com>Date: 6/26/05 12:19 a.m.

In Response To: A Lesson for the Misguided and Ignorant (An anonymous game developer)

Now before any of this post, I have absolutely no experience with any aspect of making a game. I hope to be one day, and I will work harder than anyone else once I am making video games. I currently have no experience, and thus will probably get a retort flame from this guy.

" I'm glad you've prefaced this with a quick summary of your vacuous experience
in game marketing, design, and development. Even without the warning, it's
abundantly clear that you've has never read a decent book, or left your
parents' basement for that matter, let alone worked on a project in the
software or entertainment industry. That's forgivable - you're thirteen,
this is your first blog, and you may as well make the first post an
inflammatory one. "

I'm glad that you have actual proof that you've ever worked on a game too. Anonymity is real solid proof. Maybe I should reference you to the Penny Arcade formula. "Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = Total Fuckwad" And you sir, help prove Gabriel's Formula. If you even work for a company, you probably worked on Elmo's Alphabet Adventure. And besides, the guy was stating an opinion, he even said so.

" 1. Less Promotion. "It's not always about how many units you sell."

" No, it's about making the best game possible, and giving a wide audience the
chance to appreciate it. A big budget console game like Halo 2 is not an
island. It's a system mover. If the game were to languish as some
unappreciated cult classic, there would be no sequel, no big budget voice
talent, and no epic future for your favorite game world. "

And yet if the game stays as is, it will lose the fanbase that made it what it is today. Aparently someone doesn't know that giving thanks to those that made your game the big budget system mover that it is, is a good thing. I'm actually not one of them. I loved Halo 1. But I really bought it and my Xbox Christmas of 2002. Not a long time fan of Bungie. Practically just heard of them.

However, making a game for everyone... it proves to be a slap in the face more than a sequel. Halo should never have been put into such a stage. Bungie never had Multiplayer as their major selling point before, they focused on story in Halo 1. In Halo 2, they made the story for the people who hadn't played the first game or read the books. Which, in my soon to be flamed opinion, is not supportive of the community that made your game what it is.

" "I also think that making the series too mainstream will lead to several
bad things."
Popularity does not a complacent artist make, or a less dedicated fanbase
make. William Shakespeare's plays were the most popular entertainment
available in the late 1500s, equally loved by both the bottom of society
and the top. Charles Dickens was incredibly successful and his works were
loved as mainstream entertainment. Ignorant people will be ignorant
whether they're playing the same games you play or not. Much like the
peasantry came to Shakespeare's plays for the pig's blood and
transvestites, your friends will play Halo 2 on an entirely different
level as you do. "

The thing about it is, if you take a game that was largely story based, and then remove the complexity of the story, you lose a good portion of your fanbase. Especially the ones that thrived on your first story.

"It would be nice to have the game as our private pleasure, but somebody needs
to cover the astronomical costs of designing, promoting, and manufacturing
the hardware and software needed to power experiences like Halo 2. Without
Slurpee cups and TV ads, the rest of the public would be grabbing copies
of Batman: Dark Tomorrow and Shrek Super Party while Jason Jones sleeps in
a cardboard box, wondering if it's too late to make a game based on
"Shark Tale". "

Actually, without the slurpee cups people were still getting more Halo 2 jammed down their throat (Heh heh, clever play on the situation) than they needed. I didn't mind the TV ads, best game ads ever. But you want to know what covers the costs for this stuff? Microsoft. The game selling. Which it would definitely sell well enough to pay for the ads and developing because everyone in the old fanbase would buy a copy. And with Xbox Live added, you'd get a lot of new people. Halo requires no real advertisement. If you walked up to someone, and told them the exact day the game would be out, the cost, and that it was Halo 3, you'd definitely get a sale out of that. Anyone with an Xbox would buy the game (With some Exceptions), even GravityGirl126 D:

" 2. Announcement

What the hell are you trying to convey with all of these emphatic
'allegedly's everywhere? Yes, the game is in development, and yes, it'll
come out the day before the PS3 does. Why are your panties in a bunch? "

Yeah.. self-explanatory dumbass. Bungie has the only liable say as to the release of their own game. No matter how reasonable it is, Bill Gates can't even force Bungie to release an unfinished game. And since they started work on the game at earliest maybe October/November, my guess is that if it comes out next March, we'll get another game that is aimed for the 9 year olds who keep "owning me like the 'nub' I am." Seriously. Screw the mainstream, they don't belong in our community screwing it up and disheartening people from the great game they know they bought.

" 3. Focus on the Campaign

No, the focus didn't shift from campaign to multiplayer late in development.
You've never been to E3. The first E3 was a demo of campaign, and the
second was a demo of multiplay. Bungie had a bad E3 with Halo 1, because
they tried to do too much - both multiplayer and solo - and the dual focus
cut quality and divided attention. "

Actually, the focus shifted to the actual game late in development, as it was once again a 9 month crunch. Bungie does their best work in lazy procrastinator phase. Every aspect of Halo 2 had to be redone after a supposed "ZOMG THIS DOESN'T WORK" kinda deal.

" "Halo 1 Has A Deeper Story"
I don't know if you've been living under a rock (although your other
observations seem to suggest this), talk of singleplayer in Halo 2
completely overwhelms that of the first game. Every shred of Halo 2 exudes
a greater story depth than you're old friend, "This cave is not a
natural formation. Someone built it - so it must lead somewhere."
Speaking of last minute, did you know that Bungie rewrote and re-recorded
much of Cortana's in game dialogue in the few months between E3 and
release?

Also, you didn't hear any more of Halo 1's story when the game was announced
than you did of Halo 2 at its announcement. There was no list of enhanced
Live features until years after the announcement trailer came out. "

Would you like to know why we have more people talking about the Halo 2 story than the Halo 1 story? There's more people. A good deal of the discussion is shit that is already explained in the books, or is easily picked up in actual gameplay "ZOMG HOW SARGE GOT BACK TO EARTH!" "LIEK GRAVEMIND CAN TALK ENGLISH AND SANGHELLI" But we also have a good huge chunk that is based on both games, and is actually well thought out. "Humans vs. Forerunner" "Flood Evolved to Humans" and things like that.

And since I'm tired of picking at your post, I'll end it here.

~Jinno.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogDiss3nt 6/24/05 8:34 p.m.
     Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogLOTIONMAN 6/24/05 8:58 p.m.
           Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogDiss3nt 6/24/05 9:04 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogJ 6/24/05 9:26 p.m.
     Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my Blogzink 6/24/05 9:37 p.m.
     Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my Blogdeadmonkey 6/24/05 10:38 p.m.
           Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogDiss3nt 6/24/05 10:50 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogMilhouse 6/25/05 1:41 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogShaun 6/27/05 2:03 a.m.
           I like it! I commented as well, Rio258k *NM*rio258k 6/25/05 9:57 p.m.
           Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my Blogyurahn 6/29/05 8:56 a.m.
           Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my Blogyurahn 6/29/05 8:57 a.m.
     I agree.Mr. Mech 6/25/05 7:27 a.m.
           Re: I agree.Diss3nt 6/25/05 7:52 a.m.
     I very rarely post, but needed to say somethingStickFigureNinja 6/25/05 12:04 p.m.
     A Lesson for the Misguided and IgnorantAn anonymous game developer 6/25/05 12:11 p.m.
           Re: A Lesson for the Misguided and IgnorantDiss3nt 6/25/05 1:25 p.m.
                 Re: A Lesson for the Misguided and IgnorantJester VR 6/25/05 1:41 p.m.
                 Re: A Lesson for the Misguided and IgnorantEndbringer 6/25/05 2:19 p.m.
           Re: A Lesson for the Misguided and IgnorantSpartan235 6/25/05 9:54 p.m.
                 Re: A Lesson for the Misguided and Ignorantrio258k 6/26/05 12:25 a.m.
           Your title applied to you as well.Jinno 6/26/05 12:19 a.m.
                 That's probably why he posted as "Anonymous" *NM*GameJunkieJim 6/26/05 12:25 a.m.
     Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogMatt 6/25/05 6:09 p.m.
           Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogChaos Recon 6/25/05 6:51 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 6/26/05 9:01 a.m.
                       Shakespere was a hack ;-) *NM*GameJunkieJim 6/26/05 9:45 a.m.
                 Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogDan Chosich 6/26/05 9:24 a.m.
           Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogJester VR 6/25/05 7:21 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogDiss3nt 6/25/05 7:56 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogFlawed Legacy 6/25/05 9:06 p.m.
                             Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogDiss3nt 6/25/05 9:14 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogJinno 6/25/05 11:37 p.m.
                             Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my Blogblaz 6/26/05 12:20 a.m.
                 Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogMatt 6/25/05 11:03 p.m.
                       Halo 3 Advertising... My Musings.Jinno 6/25/05 11:32 p.m.
                             Re: Halo 3 Advertising... My Musings.Count Zero 6/25/05 11:59 p.m.
                                   ^^Good Point^^ Very Well Said *NM*Mintz08 6/26/05 12:44 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo 3 Advertising... My Musings.Ryan Broxterman 6/26/05 1:38 a.m.
                                         another good point^^ *NM*RC Master 6/26/05 10:35 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo 3 Advertising... My Musings.Diss3nt 6/26/05 9:52 a.m.
                             Re: Halo 3 Advertising... My Musings.Scarab 6/26/05 12:22 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo 3 Advertising... My Musings.Diss3nt 6/26/05 12:42 p.m.
                                         Re: Halo 3 Advertising... My Musings.Scarab 6/26/05 1:04 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo 3 Advertising... My Musings.Jinno 6/27/05 6:05 a.m.
                       Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogArt Vandelay 6/25/05 11:51 p.m.
                       Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my Blogpushbak 6/26/05 1:46 a.m.
                             ^^Good question^^ *NM*Coffin Joe 6/26/05 2:00 a.m.
                                   ^Not really.gspawn 6/26/05 10:10 a.m.
           Excellent set of thoughts. I agree. *NM*serpx 6/25/05 11:29 p.m.
           Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my Blogda 6/26/05 12:52 p.m.
           Re: Halo 3: My Musings on my BlogMthdDirector 6/26/05 11:50 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.