Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Clones and Lies: A Theory Worth Reading
Posted By: Metatron <Eagle-117@cox.net>Date: 9/1/04 10:27 p.m.

Jamie Griesemer (Halo 2 Design Lead) -
“All through Halo 1 we were putting in hooks for Halo 2. Almost nothing in Halo 1 was random. I think a lot of people are going to play Halo 2 and then go back and play Halo 1, because they’ll see a lot of things they didn’t see before.”(p.222)

This quote was taken from EGM issue # 160. Some of you may remember this particular issue of EGM, because it had a huge 15 page Halo 2 article. Many regard this article to be the most accurate and informative article on Halo 2 to date, even more so than the original OXM Halo 2 article. Griesemer plants two ideas in the readers mind; those being, almost nothing in Halo 1 was random, and all throughout Halo 1 there are hooks pointing towards Halo 2. This is something I’ve been pondering on ever since I read that article back in November of 2002, and I would ask that you keep these thought in mind while reading this thread.

Many of us who’ve read First Strike have had a sneaky suspicion that Col. Ackerson is up to something BIG. Being a bit more specific, many people believe that he has started a Spartan type of program of his own. Quotes from the book such as, "Something extraordinary had just been revealed - there was some kind of backup plan on par with the Spartan program, and Ackerson was behind it"(p.103 FS), or "He had heard of Ackerson's alternative program to the Spartan-IIs"(p.105 FS) have been used as support for these accusations. No picture, info, nor interview, that I'm aware of, has been given on the subject of Ackerson’s secret project; however, I believe what we’ve been searching for has been lurking under our noses this whole time.

I’d first like to point out a theory I wrote awhile back titled The Most Conclusive Theory EVER Written. Many of you may remember it, seeing as how it was a sticky for some time. For those of you who don’t know of it, here is a run down of it’s contents. I basically tried to show that Ackerson knew of Halo before the Pillar of Autumn “blindly” jumped to it, and that he was using clones of the Spartans (MC) on a secret mission to Halo. There’s a LOT more to it than that, and if you’re interested, then click on the link provided at the bottom of this theory. Back to the point, though. From what I remember, many seemed to have a problem with the idea of a cloned MC being sent to Halo, or there even being clones of the Spartans. The argument being, the original clones died off from the imperfections in the cloning process, and there is no proof to show that the cloning process was perfected to a point in which Ackerson could use clones of the Spartans in one of his own projects. I tried to show evidence that there were indeed clones of the Spartans through the S-III file, and Ackerson’s extreme interest in the cloning process; however, I forgot to point out one major detail, which was reminded to me in a conversation I had with DualWieldinFreak.

I’m sure most all of us have noticed what I’m about to say, but I think many of us placed it on the coffee table of our mind to examine later... don’t hit yourself when you read this. If you have the time, turn on your Xbox, place a copy of Halo in the disc tray, go to the multiplayer section, pick split screen, pick your profile, and then highlight the level Chiron TL34. Just stare at the screen for a moment. Do you see anything interesting? Here’s a hint, look at the description of the level. The description of the level Chiron TL34 is, “Spartan CLONE Training Complex”. As Griesemer himself stated, almost nothing in Halo 1 is random, and after playing Halo 2 things in Halo 1 will start to become much clearer. I believe this may be one of those murky things in Halo 1 that will be expanded upon in Halo 2. According to the actual game Halo, there is a training complex for cloned Spartans. There are clones of the Spartans running around somewhere in the Halo universe... I don’t think I can state that enough.

The next logical question was, is Chiron TL34 located on Halo? Of course, there are no windows in this level, so I couldn’t tell by sight. The description doesn’t tell us anything about it’s location, and the architecture certainly looks Human, and not Forerunner. From there I decided to categorize which maps are located on Halo. To my surprise, because I’d been told by many that not all the maps are located on Halo, I could only find one map that wasn’t on Halo.... Boarding Action. You can clearly see that this map is located in space; however, you can also see that it’s located close to Halo, because the planet Threshold is in the background. I would say that the map Boarding Action is located in the orbit of Basis, Threshold, or Halo itself. All other maps, excluding Chiron TL34, are definitely on Halo. Proof of this accusation can be shown in two ways. One, you can see Halo itself on most of the maps, or one can read which maps are located on Halo at b.net’s description of the multiplayer maps. After searching through all of this, I was still left at a dead end with Chiron TL34's location, but then I listened.

If you listen to the background sounds of the map Chiron TL34, you’ll hear the exact same sound you hear in the levels Two Betrayals and Assault on the Control Room... both levels are the same map. When you’re inside certain structures of these levels one can hear a deep, dark breath of a sound, and it’s not the wind outside. This sound’s source is the three pulse generators that power Halo’s firing mechanisms. One might recall in the level Two Betrayals, Cortana tells the MC, “The machinery in these canyons are Halo’s primary firing mechanisms. They consist of three phase pulse generators that amplify Halo’s signal, and allow it to fire deep into space.” The whole point of the level Two Betrayals is to destroy these 3 pulse generators. When you reach the first generator, the pulse sounds, which are the deep seem to have a random pause between each firing... generally a 15 - 18 second pause. After you’ve walked into the first two pulse generator on the, which, by doing so, damages the pulse generators, the pulse sounds become extremely erratic, with no general pattern of 15 - 18 seconds between each pulse sound.

My point in telling you all this is to show that the sound produced by the pulse generators in the levels Two Betrayals and Assault on the Control Room is the exact same sound, with the same unpredictable pattern, that is heard in the level Chiron TL34. Go hear it for yourself. This means that Chiron TL34 is located near the three pulse generators, which shows that Chiron TL34 is located on Halo! Griesemer says in the EGM article that almost nothing in Halo is random, so one would presume that the multiplayer aspects of Halo are included in that statement. Why else would the multiplayer maps, Chiron TL34 in particular, have descriptions and layouts that just so happen to go along with the storyline presented throughout the game and novels? This, of course, brings up a whole host of questions about a Spartan clone training facility being on Halo. I’ll get to that in a second. I’d first like to point out other evidence of humans being on Halo before the Pillar of Autumn “blindly” jumped to it.

In my search to find the location of Chiron TL34, I came across b.net’s Halo page, of course. In this section of b.net, one can find a page dedicated to Halo’s multiplayer maps. On this map page there are detailed descriptions of each map, which contains information other than that given in the game itself. One map’s description in particular stuck out when I read it. The first line of the description for the map Rat Race is, “An asymmetrical map which involves some human mining into one of Halo’s hallway systems”. Does that ring a bell for any of you? First and for most, the humans who escaped the Pillar of Autumn, only to crash land on Halo, certainly didn’t have the time, man power, nor equipment to go on a “mining expedition” into one Halo’s hallway system. What other humans would be mining into Halo’s hallway systems? Well, you might recall that there are only two places in the novels where digging/mining equipment is mentioned. The first place it’s mentioned is when the Covenant start to dig through the ONI facility located at Reach in order to get the artifact on which it was built atop. We can push that aside as the digging equipment used in the map Rat Race, because the map description tells us that humans dug into the hallway systems, not the Covenant. The only other place where digging equipment is mentioned is in Ackerson’s King Under the Mountain file:

“Additional files detailed the procurement of digging equipment, and a new set of blueprints and geological surveys. The new maps looked like a network of veins and arteries. What am I looking at, Kalmiya? According to the coordinates of these secondary maps, Doctor, this facility was built over an old titanium mine... and before that this site was surveyed as an extinct volcano. These are designated as a series of lave tubes. I wonder if they used the natural passages to help build the mines, and later this facility. Dr. Halsey removed her glasses and cleaned them as she thought this through. No... if it was as simple as that, why would Ackerson be interested? And why then classify this data as level X-ray? How does this connect to the alien artifact of Cote d Azur?” (p.131 FS)

We then find out that there was in fact something important located under ONI’s research facility... the time/space warping crystal. The fact that Ackerson knew of the strangeness located under the ONI facility, that he took great care in hiding the information pertaining to it, that ONI lieutenant Wagner knew of Ackerson’s secret program on par with the Spartan program, that Ackerson’s S-III file contained all the Spartans II’s DNA files, and that this same file contained all the information needed to clone the Spartans II’s, all points to Ackerson’s involvement in a Spartan cloning program. Where is there a Spartan clone training facility, where else are there tunnels that were human dug, where else would the 512 alphanumeric string location in non UNSC controlled space (also found in Ackerson’s S-III file) point to? It all points to a Spartan cloning program on Halo, and Ackerson’s involvement with it!

If this allt holds to be true, then we may discover answers to questions that deal with Dr. Halsey’s secret mission at the end of First Strike, Ch. 30 in the Fall of Reach, the numbering and date issues throughout the novels, among other things. I don’t intend to make you all read through more in dept description of my answers to these questions at this time. However, if this initial theory isn’t proven to be wrong, then I’ll add to this thread my answers to the unanswered questions.

One other thing for the nonbelievers:
All the Halo books are derived from the Halo Bible. The Halo Bible contains the back story to every single event and character in the Halo universe. The different book's events and characters are taken from the Halo Bible. If you look at it this way, the books were actually written by those few at Bungie and Eric Trautmann, keeper of the Halo Bible! Nylund and Dietz (Authors of the books) really wrote an already planned out storyline. Each author’s talents were used to write intense dialog for the characters, and to describe events with vivid detail, all of which was mapped out in the Halo Bible. So, before you start yelling foul ball, take this information into consideration. Bungie/Trautmann wrote the ENTIRE storyline to the Halo universe, and Nylund and Dietz were used to “spice up” that which had already been planned out. This means that the books are an intricate part of the Halo universe/storyline, and that they hold important insight into the storyline of Halo 2. If you're interested in finding out more on this, go to HBO and do a search for Eric Nylund, Eric Truatmann, or The Halo Bible:)

If you still hold the belief that the books aren't going to have and effect on the storyline of the game, then your saying that Bungie is going to alienate the thousands of people who HAVE paid for and read the books. That doesn't make sense???

I am in no way implying that those who haven't read the books will be lost in Halo 2. I'm sure you know, as most should, that Halo 2 doesn't start with the Covenant attack on Earth. Logically, it starts at some point between the destruction of Halo, and the Covenant attack on Earth. What information do we have that follows the events after the destruction of Halo, but before the Covenant attack on Earth? I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. While I doubt that the first levels of Halo will be the ENTIRE book of First Strike, it isn't an unreasonable position to hold that the important aspects of First Strike will be told to the player in the beginning levels of, if not throughout, Halo 2:)

Thanks for reading, and please feel free to debate what I’ve presented. This is, after all, just a theory;)

-Metatron (Eagle 117)

Links:
(B.net’s Halo Map Page)
http://bungie.net/Games/Halo/page.aspx?section=Guides&subsection=M ultiplayerPages&page=6

(The Most Conclusive Theory Ever Written)
http://bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=297504

Message Index

Replies:

Clones and Lies: A Theory Worth ReadingMetatron 9/1/04 10:27 p.m.
     another long post worth reading... *NM*zeldincht 9/1/04 10:43 p.m.
     Re: Clones and Lies: A Theory Worth Readingzeldincht 9/1/04 10:50 p.m.
           Re: Clones and Lies: A Theory Worth ReadingMetatron 9/1/04 10:58 p.m.
     THEORY THIEF!Hextall27 9/1/04 11:00 p.m.
           Of course...Hextall27 9/1/04 11:08 p.m.
           Re: THEORY THIEF!Metatron 9/1/04 11:42 p.m.
                 Re: THEORY THIEF!Hextall27 9/2/04 10:47 a.m.
     Re: One Major ProblemAin Soph Aur 9/1/04 11:09 p.m.
           ONI knew of HaloMC vince 9/1/04 11:34 p.m.
                 Re: ONI knew of HaloPsycoJoe 9/2/04 12:19 a.m.
                       Re: ONI knew of HaloMetatron 9/2/04 12:37 a.m.
                             My reply (ot)PsycoJoe 9/2/04 9:58 a.m.
                                   Re: My reply (ot)Metatron 9/2/04 3:00 p.m.
                                         Re: My reply (ot)PsycoJoe 9/2/04 10:33 p.m.
           Re: One Major ProblemMetatron 9/1/04 11:38 p.m.
                 I remember somewhere...Saint 9/1/04 11:40 p.m.
                 Re: One Major ProblemAin Soph Aur 9/1/04 11:46 p.m.
                       Re: One Major ProblemMetatron 9/2/04 12:01 a.m.
                             I think you mean TL 34.Saint 9/2/04 12:03 a.m.
                             Re: One Major ProblemAin Soph Aur 9/2/04 12:12 a.m.
                                   Re: One Major ProblemMetatron 9/2/04 12:29 a.m.
                                         Re: One Major ProblemAin Soph Aur 9/2/04 12:40 a.m.
                                               Re: One Major ProblemMetatron 9/2/04 1:13 a.m.
                                                     Re: One Major ProblemAin Soph Aur 9/2/04 1:28 a.m.
                                                           Re: One Major ProblemMetatron 9/2/04 2:04 a.m.
                                                                 Re: One Major ProblemAin Soph Aur 9/2/04 2:18 a.m.
                                                                 Re: One Major ProblemMetatron 9/2/04 3:41 a.m.
                                                                       Re: One Major ProblemMetatron 9/2/04 4:05 a.m.
                                                                             Re: ChironWado SG 9/4/04 10:10 a.m.
                                                                                   Halo: Indeed a tragedy...Alex Cross 9/4/04 1:11 p.m.
                                               Search.Saint 9/2/04 7:38 a.m.
                                         Re: One Major ProblemtLove 9/2/04 3:07 p.m.
                                               Re: One Major ProblemMetatron 9/2/04 3:18 p.m.
           Chiron TL34K-man 9/2/04 4:46 a.m.
     Canon Fodder. *semi-long*Saint 9/1/04 11:37 p.m.
           Re: Canon Fodder. *semi-long*Metatron 9/2/04 3:54 a.m.
                 I wonder...Saint 9/2/04 7:33 a.m.
                       Edit.Saint 9/2/04 7:57 a.m.
                       Re: I wonder...Metatron 9/2/04 1:13 p.m.
                             Well...Saint 9/2/04 6:45 p.m.
     Lots of puzzles...Alex Cross 9/2/04 1:00 a.m.
           Re: Lots of puzzles...Metatron 9/2/04 1:43 a.m.
     Re: Clones and Lies: A Theory Worth ReadingKiGlow 9/2/04 1:42 a.m.
           Evil Masterchief = Spartan 117 clone?Steve_Oll 9/2/04 8:03 a.m.
                 If there's one thing I hate...Saint 9/2/04 8:06 a.m.
                       Re: I agree...Steve_Oll 9/2/04 8:13 a.m.
     Re: Clones and Lies: A Theory Worth Readingmonctezuma 9/2/04 10:45 a.m.
     Another problemgspawn 9/2/04 12:09 p.m.
           Re: Another problemMetatron 9/2/04 1:20 p.m.
                 But as I said...gspawn 9/2/04 4:47 p.m.
                       Re: But as I said...Metatron 9/2/04 6:22 p.m.
                       Re: But as I said...Ain Soph Aur 9/2/04 9:17 p.m.
           Re: Another problem *FS spoilers in this post*Beasty 9/3/04 12:05 p.m.
     Hey Metatron...Alex Cross 9/2/04 6:30 p.m.
           *Chrion is on MARS* *NM*zeldincht 9/2/04 10:48 p.m.
           Re: Hey Metatron...Metatron 9/3/04 5:23 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.