Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: How...
Posted By: Leisandir <joecooperstein@hotmail.com>Date: 11/21/12 3:33 p.m.

In Response To: Re: How... (Ragashingo)

: I was one who loved armor lock. It could be very annoying if you were on the
: other end of it but it was a cool addition that maybe wasn't as thought
: out as it could be. I think the Hard Light Shield is a great replacement
: for it though. It's powerful but leaves the gameplay moving.

: That would probably work.

: Have you tried Dominion? You capture bases and giving you defensive positions
: that grant you weapons and vehicles.

I haven't tried it yet. I didn't see an explanation of what the gametypes are, and the names aren't very descriptive, so I haven't explored as much as I should.

uberfoop: "I was referring to the campaign, though the MP is an interesting discussion."

Counter-play refers primarily to multiplayer, where there's a human being on both sides of the interaction. This is where a lot of cool games run into trouble, including the first Halo: you can give the player all kinds of cool gadgets in the campaign, and it does nothing but enhance the experience because you only have to worry about how the player interacts with the gear. In multiplayer, you have someone using the gadget, and a target, and ideally, both players get something interesting to play with. The example cited in Extra Credits' video is a scenario in League of Legends: an ability is a skill-shot rather than direct target, meaning that other units on the map can intercept the projectile. This forces the player with the ability to jockey for optimal position to hit the target, and it forces the target to dance around minions to keep them between him and his enemy. Compare this to the shotgun in every iteration of Halo: the options with the shotgun for the user include "sneak up on people and hope they don't see you too soon," and for the target, either "shit I'm dead because I turned the wrong corner" or "hah, that guy has a shotgun across the room and can't hit me with it." An example of good counter-play in Halo might be the Hologram. I've seen a few players activate the hologram and continue to watch forward, so it looks like the player is the hologram and vice versa. It turns into a bit of a shell-game where the attacker has to make a split-second decision which to target.

Message Index

Replies:

Counter-playLeisandir 11/21/12 8:21 a.m.
     Re: Counter-playRagashingo 11/21/12 10:08 a.m.
     Re: Counter-playyakaman 11/21/12 10:10 a.m.
     I agree.robofin117 11/21/12 11:16 a.m.
     How...uberfoop 11/21/12 12:26 p.m.
           Re: How...Leisandir 11/21/12 1:36 p.m.
                 Re: How...Ragashingo 11/21/12 1:51 p.m.
                       Re: How...Leisandir 11/21/12 3:33 p.m.
                             Re: How...uberfoop 11/21/12 3:59 p.m.
                                   Re: How...Leisandir 11/21/12 4:05 p.m.
                 Re: How...uberfoop 11/21/12 2:11 p.m.
     Again Extra Credits is cluelessCody Miller 11/22/12 3:19 a.m.
           Re: Again Cody Miller is cluelessQuirel 11/22/12 11:21 a.m.
                 Re: Again Cody Miller is cluelessCody Miller 11/22/12 11:25 a.m.
                       Re: Again Cody Miller is cluelessQuirel 11/22/12 11:51 a.m.
                             Re: Again Cody Miller is cluelessWhoLikesChicken 11/22/12 12:23 p.m.
           Re: Again Extra Credits is cluelessDervish 11/22/12 2:42 p.m.
           This guy.Leisandir 11/22/12 3:21 p.m.
                 Re: This guy.Cody Miller 11/22/12 5:21 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.