Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo Wars Q and A interview
Posted By: Baz <lordbaztard@gmail.com>Date: 9/30/06 2:59 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo Wars Q and A interview (AfroRyan)

: What are you talking about? I've read all three novels multiple times! In the
: writeup, they said "Also, for the people who read all the novels we
: need to make sure that they don’t have to forget about something they
: experienced in the Halo universe because we haven’t checked it out
: properly." That implies that they DON'T have anyone who has read
: them, or read them enough to keep that canon straight in the game.

As have I. Also can't wait for the next one. I agree, that statement does sound a little questionable, but it really should take a few consultations with bungie to set things straight. Here's hoping they do atleast try to stay in canon.

: Wow, thanks for that. Sure, there may only be a few in the trailer, but I
: think the fact that they showed more than one implies that there's many
: across whatever planet they're on, and these few just happened to be in
: the area.

I'm inclined to think that it is just those five. I've seen very few examples of where there needed to be more than 4-5 spartans in any given operation. The masterchief was only alone on halo because he was the only Spartan still left active on the pillar of autumn as it left reach. Otherwise he would of had atleast linda for backup.

: Maybe, maybe not. If they were aware of the Covies, why would 2 lone Marines
: venture into a forerunner structure alone? Why not send the Spartans if
: they knew danger was involved?

Well given first contact with the covenant was a space battle in orbit of harvest, I have to say that any ground battle has to take place after first contact. Also given the spartans have the mjolinir armour tells me that it's been a while since harvest. Given the scale of the army landing though I would say that the humans have gone in well aware that the covenant are dangerous, but let's assume it's been under a year since first contact. Not everyone has seen a covenant and survived. I would assume they were a recon team searching the structure and got ambushed badly. Given the way they tore out of that building there was more of them to start with.

: Agreed. That wouldn't really make any sense if it was. And not that it's
: really that much "proof," but that doesn't sound anything like
: Steve Downes.

That's what I was thinking actually. That or it's a poor impersonation of Stave, haha. Definately sounds like another spartan and possibly that the logic behind the cheesy line was to perhaps make it clear it was not John. (Yeah, that's a stretch too)

: Yeah, but ILB implies the Covenant knew where Earth's position was, and were
: planning a full scale attack, even though in Halo 2, it seems more like a
: lucky mistake.

Not really. ILB only tells us the tale from the point of view of those characters. The strength in that scene lies in the fact that the characters don't know anything about the attack and as halo 2 wasn't available yet neither did we. All they hear is the warning sirens and the realization the covenant are here. Keeping in mind how ignorant the residents of earth are of the war with the covenant it's even more terrifying to those characters because I'll bet they were all thinking "what the hell... the covenant are here? How??"

Had that scene played out as if they knew it was an accident it wouldn't of worked. "Oh the covenant are here... well it's not an invasion because the prophet made a mistake" and we the listeners would of had the ending spoiled and the anticipation for halo 2 completely ruined. ILB was a part of the larger halo universe and yet still stands alone as it's own tale, not only that but if you weren't a halo player yet, you wanted to find out more of this universe.

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Wars Q and A interviewbroony 9/29/06 6:51 a.m.
     Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewUrban Reflex 9/29/06 8:36 a.m.
           Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewLouis Wu 9/29/06 8:47 a.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 9:36 a.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewAce Heart 9/29/06 9:51 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewPeptuck 9/29/06 10:00 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewLouis Wu 9/29/06 10:01 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewPeptuck 9/29/06 10:05 a.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewLouis Wu 9/29/06 10:13 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewPeptuck 9/29/06 1:12 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewNarcogen 9/29/06 9:52 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 10:06 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSaint 9/29/06 10:16 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewLouis Wu 9/29/06 10:18 a.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 10:21 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewLouis Wu 9/29/06 10:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 10:33 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewNarcogen 9/29/06 10:46 a.m.
                                                           Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 10:54 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 10:57 a.m.
                                                           Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSpenser 9/29/06 11:52 a.m.
                                                                 You wont get the genie back in the bottleDry Ice 9/29/06 1:36 p.m.
                                                           I tend to think of it this way.Saint 9/29/06 3:28 p.m.
                                                     I think what it means...Saint 9/29/06 3:14 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewmnemesis 9/29/06 10:31 a.m.
                       Biggest, not best. *NM*Document 9/29/06 2:39 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewPeptuck 9/29/06 9:53 a.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewEndbringer 9/29/06 9:55 a.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewAce Heart 9/29/06 12:18 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewAfroRyan 9/29/06 1:39 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewBaz 9/30/06 4:22 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewAfroRyan 9/30/06 1:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewBaz 9/30/06 2:59 p.m.
                                                     Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewAfroRyan 10/1/06 12:15 a.m.
                                                           Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewBaz 10/1/06 2:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewDocument 10/1/06 11:39 p.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewDocument 9/30/06 2:08 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewBaz 9/30/06 3:08 p.m.
     something everyone else seems to be glossing overapprehensive fan 9/29/06 2:57 p.m.
           Re: something everyone else seems to be glossing oSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 4:46 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.