Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo Wars Q and A interview
Posted By: Spenser <sjd_0087@hotmail.com>Date: 9/29/06 11:52 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo Wars Q and A interview (Narcogen)

(Sep7imus): Fair enough. I've always been a big proponent of the "include ILB in
: canon until you absolutely have to exclude it."

(Narcogen): When I point out to people that I don't think ILB is canon, and I cite
: Staten's statements, I don't mean to say that ILB doesn't exist, or that
: it shouldn't be discussed, or that it doesn't take place in the Halo
: universe. I mean that it cannot stand up to conflict with sources that are
: "more canon" than itself-- which by this I would mean the games,
: and then the novels.

Sounds to me like you're arguing the same thing he is, just from the other side of the table. He wants to accept things as canon until they absolutely aren't. I'd say if a game that Bungie made conflicted with ILB, then ILB would absolutely not be canon. That also seems to be what you're saying, only with the exception that ILB is just already not canon, but we might as well talk about it like it is. Other, more canon things just come first. Just wanted to point that out.

: By the most literal (and admittedly ridiculous) extension of your policy of : calling everything canon until you're told it isn't, this would apply equally : well to fan fiction. Bungie was involved in ILB, but they didn't write it and : they didn't perform it.

Also, fortunately for us (i hope :P), we have the capacity to know not to overgeneralize what he's saying. That's not to say it's not a good analogy, but there is a line between Bungie's involvement in ILB, and their involvement in Fan Fiction.

I'm not arguing either way. I didn't follow ILB at all, so I don't think I could rightfully make an argument as to canon or not. But I think if Bungie has such an involvement in something, and then they don't explicitly say it's not canon, you can, at least loosely, accept it as canon. Innocent until proven guilty.

-Spenser

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Wars Q and A interviewbroony 9/29/06 6:51 a.m.
     Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewUrban Reflex 9/29/06 8:36 a.m.
           Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewLouis Wu 9/29/06 8:47 a.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 9:36 a.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewAce Heart 9/29/06 9:51 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewPeptuck 9/29/06 10:00 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewLouis Wu 9/29/06 10:01 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewPeptuck 9/29/06 10:05 a.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewLouis Wu 9/29/06 10:13 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewPeptuck 9/29/06 1:12 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewNarcogen 9/29/06 9:52 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 10:06 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSaint 9/29/06 10:16 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewLouis Wu 9/29/06 10:18 a.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 10:21 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewLouis Wu 9/29/06 10:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 10:33 a.m.
                                                     Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewNarcogen 9/29/06 10:46 a.m.
                                                           Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 10:54 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 10:57 a.m.
                                                           Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewSpenser 9/29/06 11:52 a.m.
                                                                 You wont get the genie back in the bottleDry Ice 9/29/06 1:36 p.m.
                                                           I tend to think of it this way.Saint 9/29/06 3:28 p.m.
                                                     I think what it means...Saint 9/29/06 3:14 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewmnemesis 9/29/06 10:31 a.m.
                       Biggest, not best. *NM*Document 9/29/06 2:39 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewPeptuck 9/29/06 9:53 a.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewEndbringer 9/29/06 9:55 a.m.
                       Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewAce Heart 9/29/06 12:18 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewAfroRyan 9/29/06 1:39 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewBaz 9/30/06 4:22 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewAfroRyan 9/30/06 1:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewBaz 9/30/06 2:59 p.m.
                                                     Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewAfroRyan 10/1/06 12:15 a.m.
                                                           Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewBaz 10/1/06 2:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewDocument 10/1/06 11:39 p.m.
                                         Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewDocument 9/30/06 2:08 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo Wars Q and A interviewBaz 9/30/06 3:08 p.m.
     something everyone else seems to be glossing overapprehensive fan 9/29/06 2:57 p.m.
           Re: something everyone else seems to be glossing oSep7imus [subnova] 9/29/06 4:46 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.