/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroes
Posted By: MazilurikDate: 11/28/01 2:30 p.m.

In Response To: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroes (Ernie TMBM)

: I never see any posts or Story pages (yes i asked Hamish, he said
: he didn't have time) about how Marathon:Rubicon, Marathon:Evil, and
: Marathon: Red's storylines tie into Marathon(Bungie's 3 game trilogy).

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that, while many third-party scenarios have very well-written and engaging stories, I have yet to see any scenario with the depth and subtlety of the original trilogy. RED, my favorite scenario, has a really cool story and environment but doesn't seem to have the depth of the original games; Evil has great maps and an interesting story but, again, lacks depth, and for whatever reason I didn't think the ending terminal made much sense after thinking about the player's relationships with the AIs in the original trilogy.

: ...I liked [Marathon Rubicon] better (knowing the marathon storyline as any
: Marathongamerlayman would) than the REAL 3 marathon games made by Bungle.

Rubicon I'm a little split on; playing it the first time, I found it frustrating and tedious, despite the fact that it looks amazing and has some good gameplay. For whatever reason a lot of the plot struck me as being rather pretentious, especially the attempts to explain Durandal's relationship with Bernhard Strauss, and the format seems to pay a little too much homage to Infinity, complete with dream levels and a somewhat surreal subplot that seems slightly familiar; I think the men might even have been wearing suits. The ending screen is rather cool, though, and some levels are excellent, but many (especially on the Pfhor plotline) are just convoluted and far too sprawling. I went back and used option-command to play the Salinger plotline, which is (in my opinion) much better, but I still don't think that it even approaches the level of quality (story-wise, some levels and graphics are great) of the original trilogy.

: And finally with my rant will end on Marathon:Red. A very different take on..
: everything. How the whole game was structured, terminals, etc were so well
: done, I still wish Ian would follow up on his cryptic promise (in the
: readme I think) that said he would release a Marathon:Red #2 of sorts some
: time.

I second that, though I still haven't been able to finish Marathon: Red; either "END GAME" is just way too difficult, or I'm just way too inept. Would it really have killed Ian to have included a save terminal somewhere near the beginning? ;)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon Infinity's StoryTynskel 11/25/01 1:14 p.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity's StorySNoblitt 11/25/01 1:58 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity's StoryMazilurik 11/25/01 5:06 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon Infinity's StoryCharlesS 11/26/01 7:43 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity's StoryMazilurik 11/27/01 3:40 a.m.
     Re: Marathon InfinityMazilurik 11/25/01 2:03 p.m.
           Re: Marathon InfinityMark Levin 11/25/01 2:49 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon InfinityRahmeve 11/25/01 9:47 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity[Tycho?] 11/26/01 11:30 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon InfinityJed Reinert 11/26/01 12:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon InfinitySteve Levinson 11/29/01 2:16 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon InfinityBen Potter 11/29/01 5:00 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon InfinityTru7h 11/26/01 8:33 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon InfinityDorfie 11/28/01 11:14 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon InfinityTru7h 11/28/01 4:51 p.m.
     Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroesErnie TMBM 11/28/01 12:36 p.m.
           Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroes (spMark Levin 11/28/01 1:35 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroes (spTru7h 11/28/01 4:54 p.m.
           Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroesMazilurik 11/28/01 2:30 p.m.
                 Response to: 'Unung Heroes' posts -ErnieErnie TMBM 11/29/01 4:31 a.m.
                       Rubicon spoilers if anyone cares about that *NM*Andrew Nagy 11/29/01 8:03 a.m.
           Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroesmrodar 11/29/01 2:34 p.m.
           Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroesSteve Levinson 11/29/01 3:08 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroesMark Levin 11/29/01 3:53 p.m.
                       What About the 3rdparty story Parallels?Ernie TMBM 11/29/01 6:20 p.m.
                             Re: What About the 3rdparty story Parallels?Steve Levinson 11/29/01 7:16 p.m.
                                   Re: What About the 3rdparty story Parallels?Ernie TMBM0 12/2/01 7:25 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.