/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroes
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 11/29/01 3:08 p.m.

In Response To: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroes (Ernie TMBM)

God, I'd love to take this on, but I don't really even have enough time for my day job! I think that there are a lot of great 3rd party scenarios out there that are on a par with Bungie's own creations. Some, I feel, even supercede the quality of MI, although as per my earlier post, I found MI a bit disappointing for a variety of story-related reasons, even though the eye candy was excellent and the play enjoyable. I think that it is high time that we recognize the contributions of Marathon's fans, particularly when you consider that Bungie's game writers were paid to do what they did, and everyone else was not! The 3rd party creations are truly works of love.

I think that there are many awards that could be given out for different Marathon scenarios. For earliest total conversion and best use of the *M1* engine, Trojan is the hands-down winner. One thing that I particularly liked about Trojan was the use of a separate probe with a pattern buffer, shield regenerator and ammo on each alien ship level. This certainly makes a lot more sense than Bungie's use of alien technology on each ship. Not that pattern buffers make *any sense* outside of game play - the only thing preserved through death is the one thing that absolutely shouldn't be - your memories!

For fear factor, nothing comes close to M Evil. I'll never forget the first time I encountered the Devlins. The ambient sounds. That was one game that *had* to be played with the lights on. I also believe that Evil was the first to employ the use of force fields, but don't hold me to that! Evil also takes the prize for the best original new sprites, with great weapons and new enemies (the double-armed drone sprites could have been better, though).

For originality, I think that Tempus Irae should get the prize. There are other Earth-based scenarios, but TI is just plain visually stunning. The premise is a bit tough to swallow, but the game play is just too enjoyable to let that get in the way. I also believe that the ending in the last level of TI2 is absolutely the best of any scenario, M1 or M2 included, and the most foreboding. Boy, if there ever were a scenario that demanded another sequel. Imagine trying to fight the Jjaro as they try to unmake the universe!

The most engrossing story IMHO can be found in the lesser known scenario Pfh'Joueur. There isn't much original here, but the story draws the player in and the ambient music makes it even more engrossing, even if the ending is a bit lame.

The best dream sequences are not in MI nor Rubicon, but in Excalibur. I know that this is not a true Marathon scenario, as it only makes use of the MI engine to develop a completely unrelated story, but these dream levels really rock, and they're intricately tied into the story. I'm not generally a fan of games based on mysticism, but I have to admit that Excalibur is totally enjoyable, even if the sprites could be a bit more realistic.

Marathon Red - Hmmm. Definitely the most difficult 3rd party scenario and certainly worth a mention. It's amazing to think that one guy did all this - completely new sprites and textures. Truly amazing. Visually stunning. Parallel plots that merge - I don't think that anyone else has done that before. Damn, even on what Ian calls Normal, I just can't finish End Game without cheating. And on what he calls "Deathwish", I can't believe I was able to survive the first real level - if only I could get that save buffer activated on the second!

Most anticipated unfinished scenario? Return to Marathon - when are we going to see Chapter 2!

I've saved the best for last. I know that it's the most recent 3rd party scenario and that it breaks no new ground, but Rubicon is to me the one to beat. In fact, I've not only played both plot lines several times, but I organized a Rubicon Secrets Guide. The textures are beautiful. The sprites are all redone and smooth as silk, if not a bit muted in their palette. Most importantly of all, however, is that Rubicon's story is by far the truest to the original Marathon story. Rubicon is fully consistent, even to the point of duplicating Durandal's sarcasm. Rubicon will be the one that I remember years from now.

I'm sure that some of you have other favorites. Yes, it would be outstanding if someone would put together a story page for the best of the 3rd party scenarios. Perhaps we could vote on which to include. If only *I* had the time!

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon Infinity's StoryTynskel 11/25/01 1:14 p.m.
     Re: Marathon Infinity's StorySNoblitt 11/25/01 1:58 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Infinity's StoryMazilurik 11/25/01 5:06 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon Infinity's StoryCharlesS 11/26/01 7:43 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity's StoryMazilurik 11/27/01 3:40 a.m.
     Re: Marathon InfinityMazilurik 11/25/01 2:03 p.m.
           Re: Marathon InfinityMark Levin 11/25/01 2:49 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon InfinityRahmeve 11/25/01 9:47 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Infinity[Tycho?] 11/26/01 11:30 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon InfinityJed Reinert 11/26/01 12:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon InfinitySteve Levinson 11/29/01 2:16 p.m.
                                         Re: Marathon InfinityBen Potter 11/29/01 5:00 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon InfinityTru7h 11/26/01 8:33 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon InfinityDorfie 11/28/01 11:14 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon InfinityTru7h 11/28/01 4:51 p.m.
     Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroesErnie TMBM 11/28/01 12:36 p.m.
           Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroes (spMark Levin 11/28/01 1:35 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroes (spTru7h 11/28/01 4:54 p.m.
           Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroesMazilurik 11/28/01 2:30 p.m.
                 Response to: 'Unung Heroes' posts -ErnieErnie TMBM 11/29/01 4:31 a.m.
                       Rubicon spoilers if anyone cares about that *NM*Andrew Nagy 11/29/01 8:03 a.m.
           Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroesmrodar 11/29/01 2:34 p.m.
           Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroesSteve Levinson 11/29/01 3:08 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon: Lest we forget the unsung heroesMark Levin 11/29/01 3:53 p.m.
                       What About the 3rdparty story Parallels?Ernie TMBM 11/29/01 6:20 p.m.
                             Re: What About the 3rdparty story Parallels?Steve Levinson 11/29/01 7:16 p.m.
                                   Re: What About the 3rdparty story Parallels?Ernie TMBM0 12/2/01 7:25 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.